Support:

Pay monthly services

Ask a question:
Rank 1: Guest
Sliggy

Vodafone SMTP servers

Having read a few other threads, and spent some time getting nowhere with vodafone support I'm thinking this is hopeless but here goes....

I send and receive all my mail using a non vodafone email address. I have for years put up with using a webmail interface to send mail, but I really would like to use a proper MUA (Evolution by choice). The problem is that I can not send email, my email provider does not provide a SMTP service ( well not on my package anyway) and advises using your ISPs SMTP service since many ISPs block port 25 anyway.

So being a vodafone at home customer I'm trying to use a vodafone SMTP server. The web pages tell me to use smtp.vodafone.net which I can connect to and which offers authentication, however it doesnt seem to accept my email address (the vodafone one) and password. Vodafone at home telephone support tell me to use smtp.vodafoneathome.co.uk, this doe not support authentication ( at least it doesnt offer it in its response to ehlo, and says auth unconfigured if you try it by hand) it then rejects all rcpts if I specify my normal email address in the mail from.

So far responses from the web/email help lines at Vodafone have been completely unhelpful, I'm beginning to wonder if the people who answer them even bother to read query. The telephone support at least managed to reset the email password, but clearly didnt have enough system knowledge to tell how to do what I need (or explain why it couldnt be done if it cant)

So is there any way around this or do I go back to BT?

Chris
Message 1 of 24 (9,979 Views)
Rank 12: Guide I
Neil_Brown

Vodafone SMTP servers

Chris - you could try signing up for a Yahoo! account, and using Yahoo!'s SMTP server, ensuring that you authenticate via your Yahoo! username and password (otherwise it will fail).

If this does not work, because something is happening on port 25, you could see if you could use Yahoo!'s SMTP server via SSL/TLS, which should force traffic onto an alternative port (as well as making it secure, rather than plain text- I would do this by default anyway).
Neil
Message 2 of 24 (9,980 Views)
Rank 33: Scholar II
hrym

Vodafone SMTP servers

Having read a few other threads, and spent some time getting nowhere with vodafone support I'm thinking this is hopeless but here goes....

I send and receive all my mail using a non vodafone email address. I have for years put up with using a webmail interface to send mail, but I really would like to use a proper MUA (Evolution by choice). The problem is that I can not send email, my email provider does not provide a SMTP service ( well not on my package anyway) and advises using your ISPs SMTP service since many ISPs block port 25 anyway.

So being a vodafone at home customer I'm trying to use a vodafone SMTP server. The web pages tell me to use smtp.vodafone.net which I can connect to and which offers authentication, however it doesnt seem to accept my email address (the vodafone one) and password. Vodafone at home telephone support tell me to use smtp.vodafoneathome.co.uk, this doe not support authentication ( at least it doesnt offer it in its response to ehlo, and says auth unconfigured if you try it by hand) it then rejects all rcpts if I specify my normal email address in the mail from.

So far responses from the web/email help lines at Vodafone have been completely unhelpful, I'm beginning to wonder if the people who answer them even bother to read query. The telephone support at least managed to reset the email password, but clearly didnt have enough system knowledge to tell how to do what I need (or explain why it couldnt be done if it cant)

So is there any way around this or do I go back to BT?

Chris

Hi

Neil's suggestion of using the Yahoo server (authenticating with with your login details) is generally reckoned to be the best workround until Vodafone sort out their whole email system*. In order to stop Vodafone intercepting the traffic and routing it via their server, you need to change the port. I think Yahoo prefers 465.

If you can get send.vodafone.net to work, it doesn't require authentication. The login in is web" for both username and password and authentication/security should be off.

Other people have reported that using the Gmail server works, but that all your emails will be sent from your Gmail address "on behalf of" the address you're actually using. Yahoo, apparently, doesn't do this.

* With a lot of disgruntled iPhone users coming onstream, I'f guess this might actuallyl start to be a proirity!
Message 3 of 24 (9,982 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
George

Vodafone SMTP servers

Hi Sliggy,

Firstly, a very warm welcome to the eForum Family, it's always good to see new faces on here :).

I can understand that this must be rather frustrating for you, luckily I've got a solution :).

As our Vodafone Mail service (which uses the send.vodafone.net SMTP server) is being decomissioned soon we are advising anyone with issues sending over this outgoing server to sign up for a free Vodafone 360 account and then use the 360 outgoing server.

This can be done as follows:

-Use the following outgoing server settings:
-SMTP server:smtp.360.com
-Username and Password are the same as for the 360 account
-Requires SSL
-Uses port 465

Let me know how you get on with that :).

George
eForum Team
Message 4 of 24 (9,982 Views)
Sliggy

Vodafone SMTP servers

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I was just about to sign up for a yahoo account. I checked here again and found Georges reply. Have signed up for 360 and it all seems to work.

I do find it odd that I should have to sign up for extra services in order to get something that really should be standard. After all how difficult is it run an authenticating SMTP relay (no need to answer I spent 15 years supporting email services before a career change last year).

Next time I have a problem I'll know to come here first and not to the official support lines!

Thanks again,

Chris
Message 5 of 24 (9,984 Views)
ukgee67

Vodafone SMTP servers

Hi Sliggy,

Firstly, a very warm welcome to the eForum Family, it's always good to see new faces on here :) .

I can understand that this must be rather frustrating for you, luckily I've got a solution :) .

As our Vodafone Mail service (which uses the send.vodafone.net SMTP server) is being decomissioned soon we are advising anyone with issues sending over this outgoing server to sign up for a free Vodafone 360 account and then use the 360 outgoing server.

-Requires SSL
-Uses port 465

Let me know how you get on with that :) .

George
eForum Team

hi George! thanks for the above info on setting up a 360 outgoing smtp account but i afraid i have an iphone and currently use it for business and it wont accept the above smtp.360.com settings!!! although i have set up an 360 account and linked my business email account to that (vodafone.net account) still no joy! also tried getting 360 to send settings but that is not available yet? also tried ringing customer service but no joy? i understand that this is a new and on going issue but is there going to be an solution soon or do i change my 3 year old business email account????
Message 6 of 24 (9,984 Views)
caitlin1959

Vodafone SMTP servers

Hi Sliggy,

Firstly, a very warm welcome to the eForum Family, it's always good to see new faces on here :) .

I can understand that this must be rather frustrating for you, luckily I've got a solution :) .

-Requires SSL
-Uses port 465

George
eForum Team

I'm having exactly the same problems. My e-mail provider is freeserve. Using smtp freeserve makes no difference and using the 360 option says server not certified username and password wrong. I can access e-mail and internet, just cannot send.Customer services are completely clueless , have given me 4 different reasons why not but have not solved anything.
Message 7 of 24 (9,984 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
George

Vodafone SMTP servers

Hi guys,

Sliggy, I'm glad to hear that the above solution has worked for you :).

ukgee67, where are you trying to enter the settings? Is this when you initially setup the email address? I've attached a handy setup guide specifically for the iPhone courtesy of one of my Tech colleagues, I'd recommend checking this out :). Let me know how you get on.

caitlin1959, which phone are you using? If it's the iPhone then see the attached help guide. You mention it says that the username and password are wrong, have you ensured that you've included your 360 username and password for the outgoing settings?

George
eForum Team
Message 8 of 24 (9,984 Views)
caitlin1959

Vodafone SMTP servers

Hi guys,

Sliggy, I'm glad to hear that the above solution has worked for you :) .

ukgee67, where are you trying to enter the settings? Is this when you initially setup the email address? I've attached a handy setup guide specifically for the iPhone courtesy of one of my Tech colleagues, I'd recommend checking this out :) . Let me know how you get on.

caitlin1959, which phone are you using? If it's the iPhone then see the attached help guide. You mention it says that the username and password are wrong, have you ensured that you've included your 360 username and password for the outgoing settings?

George
eForum Team

No it's a Sony ericsson c510 and yes I have set my 360 username and password for the outgoing settings.
Needless to say no- one from " customer services " called today , although promised they would. It's frankly the last straw .The quibble I had with T-Mobile after over 3 years with them which prompted me to move to Vodafone has paled in to insignificance with the utter shambles Vodafone has wreaked in just over 2 months. I will be going back to T-Mobile.

You'll see beside my name my phone is LG Viewty . It was bought for my son with a view to putting him on 30 day rolling contract ( same as he has with T-Mobile ). In the space of just the fisrt 2 weeks with Vodafone I had had so many problems with Vodafone I never even switched his contract.

My own T-Mobile contract ended but I will be begging them to take me back. Thank goodness I'm only on PAYT here. I honestly have had the worst customer experience I can remember from any supplier of any goods or services.
Message 9 of 24 (9,984 Views)
caitlin1959

Vodafone SMTP servers

No it's a Sony ericsson c510 and yes I have set my 360 username and password for the outgoing settings.
Needless to say no- one from " customer services " called today , although promised they would. It's frankly the last straw .The quibble I had with T-Mobile after over 3 years with them which prompted me to move to Vodafone has paled in to insignificance with the utter shambles Vodafone has wreaked in just over 2 months. I will be going back to T-Mobile.

You'll see beside my name my phone is LG Viewty . It was bought for my son with a view to putting him on 30 day rolling contract ( same as he has with T-Mobile ). In the space of just the fisrt 2 weeks with Vodafone I had had so many problems with Vodafone I never even switched his contract.

My own T-Mobile contract ended but I will be begging them to take me back. Thank goodness I'm only on PAYT here. I honestly have had the worst customer experience I can remember from any supplier of any goods or services.

And please don't suggest I must have set it up incorrectly in the first place.E-mail sending was working just fine until about a week ago
Message 10 of 24 (9,984 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
Reidar

Vodafone SMTP servers

Hello Caitlin 1959

I appreciate this continues to be frustrating for you and that you have been following the procedures we have outlined in the previous posts.

The workaround provided by George is the only other immediate alternative, reverting back to your original SMTP servers is the other option (i.e. having them set up the way they used to work)

We will continue to monitor this for you, however at this point the only options are to repeat steps you have already taken in the form of setting up different SMTP servers and a total re-setup of the 360 outgoing SMTP.

Reidar :ph34r:
Message 11 of 24 (9,984 Views)
Mike (Sussex)

Vodafone SMTP servers

I’m using a Modem E272 with a Laptop, the Out Look outgoing mail stopped working at some point on Thursday.

What do I need to enter into the POP3/SMTP for outgoing mail?

I did contact Vodafone Help Line and they advised inserting smtp.vodafone.net

But it don’t work <_<

I found this thread and read that the smtp.vodafone.net Server is to be taken off line. :wacko:

So I attempted to register my Modem E272 with the Vodafone 360 facility but it is only set up for Phones and ipods.

Any advice?

Many thanks for any help.
Message 12 of 24 (9,984 Views)
caitlin1959

Vodafone SMTP servers

Hello Caitlin 1959

I appreciate this continues to be frustrating for you and that you have been following the procedures we have outlined in the previous posts.

The workaround provided by George is the only other immediate alternative, reverting back to your original SMTP servers is the other option (i.e. having them set up the way they used to work)

We will continue to monitor this for you, however at this point the only options are to repeat steps you have already taken in the form of setting up different SMTP servers and a total re-setup of the 360 outgoing SMTP.

Reidar :ph34r:

Well I got there eventually ( not helped by the links on here not actually taking you to Vodafone 360, which is not the same as my registration on the main vodafone site for my phone account, so didn't realise I needed to register there adn on 360) and it's all up and running .

I don't see why I should have to spend so much time trying to get a service I am paying for to work. Not once during the 4 ( entirely different ) explanations from customer services as to what the problem was and what I should do did any-one mention Vodafone 360. As I said , T-Mobile are not perfect but they're a damn sight better than Vodafone so I've gone back to them.
Message 13 of 24 (9,984 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
Albert_V

Vodafone SMTP servers

Hi Mike

I have read this all thread and would acknowledge that there are some areas of concern.

In relation to servers. Vodafone have used smtp.vodafone.net and send.vodafone.net for many years.The Vodafone mail service (which I have but is closed to new subscribers) will continue to function using the smtp server.

Can you delete the account in Outlook and put it back in again please? There should be no reason why you cannot use your own isp outgoing server details with our USB, if you are using a 3rd party email client such as Outlook (or Outlook express).

I have sent and received emails from a laptop connected via a usb modem, using Outlook and a very old NTL email account. I put in smtp.ntlworld.com , in the Outlook account set up and it worked fine.

Please advise how you get on

Many thanks
Albert
Want to give me some feedback? Yes
Message 14 of 24 (9,984 Views)
gjkmba

Vodafone SMTP servers

HI George,

I followed the settings for my HTC TP2 and there is no option to select a port. I cannot send emails.Which SSL am I ticking?

Hi Sliggy,

-Requires SSL
-Uses port 465

George
eForum Team
Message 15 of 24 (9,984 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
Daz_V

Vodafone SMTP servers

Hi Gregory,

If you're having difficulty finding the right options when modifying your Touch Pro 2 email address, I suggest you delete the inbox off your phone and restart, paying attention to the 'advanced' tabs throughout the setup. This will allow you to customize your outgoing email server properly. If you don't get asked for any details, this means normally this will be resolved automatically - or prompted.

Here is a quick setup guide:

1. Tap Start
2. Tap Text
3. Tap the drop-down arrow in the top left of the screen
4. Tap Outlook E-mail
5. Tap Menu
6. Tap Tools
7. Tap New Account
8. In the box under E-mail address, enter the account email address
9. In the box under Password, enter the account password set by the user
10. Tap the tick box next to Save password
11. Tap Next
12. Tap Next
13. Enter your name in the box under Your name
14. In the box under Account display name, enter a name for the account (e.g. Vodafone Mail)
15. Tap Next
16. Setup is now complete
17. Tap the drop-down arrow under Automatic Send/Receive to set the time you want to
elapse before the device checks for new emails (e.g. Every 2 hours)
18. Tap Finish to download emails.

if you need any further help with the Touch Pro 2, please visit our HTC Touch Pro 2 Help Page for more info if you're ever short on time and need to do something with your phone!

Let us know how you get on!

Daz

eForum Team
Want to give me some feedback? Yes
Message 16 of 24 (9,984 Views)
iandodgson

Vodafone SMTP servers

HI George,

I followed the settings for my HTC TP2 and there is no option to select a port. I cannot send emails.Which SSL am I ticking?

After weeks of trying I finally got my HTC TP2 to send mail.

You need smtp.360.com:465 in the outgoing (smtp) mail server box

and

a tick is required in the 'ssl for out-going e-mail' box (which is on the advanced server setting page)
Message 17 of 24 (9,984 Views)
sagart

Vodafone SMTP servers

Hi guys,

Sliggy, I'm glad to hear that the above solution has worked for you .

ukgee67, where are you trying to enter the settings? Is this when you initially setup the email address? I've attached a handy setup guide specifically for the iPhone courtesy of one of my Tech colleagues, I'd recommend checking this out . Let me know how you get on.

George
eForum Team

Just been trying this on a TouchPro, even using another suggestion of smtp.360.com:465 and it still refuses to send emails.
If I set the phone up using my son's company's smtp server settings, all goes well.
Any advice welcome!
Message 18 of 24 (9,984 Views)
aiwarren

Vodafone SMTP servers

Hi
As Vodafone are about to turn of all @vodafone.net email accounts (10 years of having this email address complete nightmare if it goes) I have set up a 360 account, Although the instructions on the 360 help site are incorrect for configuration of Outlook 2007 i did manage to find someone else who had worked out the correct settings. My only problem now is it seem Vodafones own ip address based in Newbury is on a black list with Spamcop.net. This means none of my emails are coming in, details of the delivery failure listed below:-

- These recipients of your message have been processed by the mail server:

my email address@360.com; Failed; 5.5.0 (other or undefined protocol status)

Remote MTA smtp.360.com: SMTP diagnostic: 554 5.7.1 Service unavailable; Client host blocked using bl.spamcop.net; Blocked - see http://www.spamcop.net/bl.shtml?212.183.156.227

Why is the Vodafone server on ip address 212.183.156.227 being blocked by Spamcop. How soon will this block be lifted ???
Message 19 of 24 (9,984 Views)
cynthiarmann

Vodafone SMTP servers

I use windows mail, version 6, to send emails from my laptop via a dongle and send.vodafone.net. Over the last year receipt of my emails has been erratic, varying from 100% delivery some days to zero on others. I now always copy all emails to myself. I am on the point of leaving vodafone because of this lack of reliability. Please won't someone sort this out!
Message 20 of 24 (9,984 Views)