Support:

Pay monthly services

Ask a question:
Rank 1: Guest
ubik70

Vodafone charging me for calls to Channel Island land lines.

Since the begining of the year Voda have been nice enough to charge me for calls to an 0148182 number instead of using my inclusive minutes.

When this first happened, I checked if there had been a change in T&C's (which would have triggered me leaving to O2), but all 01/02/03 numbers are still inclusive.

Customer service are nice enought to credit the charges back, but the problem hasn't been fixed yet, and it's now March. 

I do hope other users are not being charged for calls that they which are inclusive, and it would be nice if theis was fixed!

SimonF

Message 1 of 10 (8,740 Views)
Rank 6: Frequent Poster
ukedge87

Re: Vodafone charging me for calls to Channel Island land lines.

By Channel Islands, do you mean Jersey and Guernsey and the-like?

If so, then technically making a call to these destination is classed as an over-seas call.

The reason is that due to their semi-autonomous state they have their own mobile networks (Jersey Telecom, for instance). As a result if you visited the channel islands you would be effectively roaming.

Therefore, when you call them it is considered an international call and will be charged in-line with international calls.

It's a frustrating situation; but essential when you call the British isle of Jersey you are in effective doing the same as if you were calling the Faulklands!
Message 2 of 10 (8,728 Views)
ubik70

Wrong. Or should I have made my self a bit clearer?

I am not roaming (in the Channel Islands), or calling a Channel Island mobile operator - all of which I know I will incur costs, but calling a UK 01 number from the Mainland UK Vodafone network. Vodafone allow inclusive minutes to be used on all UK numbers starting with 01/02/03.

BT/Sky/TMobile/TalkTalk all have it in there T&C that they do not include Channel Islands. So I don't use them.

I have had no communication about T&C changes - and the are very hard to find on the Site, so I don't expect a change!

SimonF

Message 3 of 10 (8,715 Views)
Rank 34: Scholar III
bertyb

Hiya, I can see where you are coming from, it needs to be clear

This link has some information about it Channel Islands

Message 4 of 10 (8,705 Views)
ubik70

That's not good enough! :smileymad:

http://www.vodafone.co.uk/vodafone-uk/about-this-site/terms-and-conditions/products-and-services/pay...

Tucked in at point 30. Bloody great! And it took my 15mins to find this!!!

BT make quite plain

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProducts/displayCategory.do?categoryId=CON-HOME-PHN-R1

These losers make it clear (and easy to find)

http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/shop/terms-and-conditions/inclusive-allowances/

But O2 include 01 numbers. So I guess that will be easy as I am out of contract in 30 days...

Message 5 of 10 (8,688 Views)
Rank 6: Frequent Poster
ukedge87

[ Edited ]

I know you weren't trying to connect to a foreign mobile operator, I was just trying to explain that interms of communications out there it is a classed as 'foreign' by Ofcom. 

I think its fairly standard to be honest - and fairly reasonable.

It was always in your contract that calling over-seas (which has *always* included Channel Isles/ I.O.M) is never included in inclusive minutes.

O2 also charge for these calls:
http://shop.o2.co.uk/tariffSmallPrint#PayMonthly

Message 6 of 10 (8,679 Views)
ubik70

Intresting that you should state that O2 does exclude 01 numbers in the Channel Islands or Isle of Man (they refure to Guernsey/Jersey in there T&C). They do exclude texting/calling to 07 Channel Island mobiles, but don't exclude landlines.

And I still feel that Vodafone is far from clear in this matter. Finding any T&C's on this site is a effort.

And it's only till this year that Vodafone started charging me for these numbers!

Even the Feb 2011 printed guide does not clarify that these calls are not inclusive.

Message 7 of 10 (8,671 Views)
stellabella89

I am on here looking for a notification of the changes to the terms and conditions which I was informed of today, having found out that Vodafone have charged me no less than £550 to call my parents' house in Guernsey over the last 3 months.

Absolutely disgusting treatment of their customers! Where was the notification to tell us that we would be charged to call AND text channel islands numbers?!

The price they are charging is also extortionate, especially since we have not been informed and the T&Cs still state that all 01/02/03 numbers are included within the minutes.

Message 8 of 10 (8,544 Views)
stellabella89

With regards to them only charging from the start of the year - i was told on the phone today that Voda decided that the channel isles were international in january 2011.
Message 9 of 10 (8,540 Views)
Rank 44: Oracle III
Nabs

I guess this may be too late for some of you guys but there is a clause in the contract(11b) that allows you to request termination of your contract should vodafone increase a charge that increases you bill by 10%

"we increase your charges in the UK which have the effect of increasing your total call and usage charges (based on your usage in the previous month) by more than 10% and you write to us before the increase applies"

Some of the prices that are being quoted must fall into this category. I would think it's probably a bit late to claim now though.

Find this post useful? Give it the thumbs up below!

Message 10 of 10 (8,528 Views)