Support:

Pay monthly services

Ask a question:
Rank 2: First Poster
dan_archer

need to change phone mid contract - disgusted with quality of service from blackberry and vodafone

Hi,

I have been having a lot of issues with my BB 9900 for months now and it would seem from elsewhere on the forums here and the wider internet that blackberry and vodafone haven't been able to fix this -i barely ever get any 3G coverage, cant use the internet due to this, pay for BIS on top of my bill which was enver explained to me when i 'upgraded from my andorid galaxy' and I would like to change my handset back to a manufacturer I trust.

I've been reading elsewhere on the forums about people changing their phones mid contract by adding a full length contract to the end of an existing contract and I am interested in doing the same.

If possible I would like to switch to an iPhone 4S (on a more expensive tarriff), my current contract runs for another 17 months but I  don't see sticking with the BB as a viable option as it is becoming gradually more impractical as the faults are becoming more frequent and it just doesn't work with vodafone coverage at all - I would ideally like to switch to the iphone on vodafone and if i have to add time onto the end of my current contract to do so then I will - my problem isn't with vodafone it's the compatibility between vodafone and BB which was never pointed out to me. If this isn't possible then i will obviously have to get some independent advice on quality of service provided and clarity of the explanations behind the contracts that were drawn up for me as I simply can't be using a blackberry for the next 18 months.

I appreciate that the iPhone 4S is very popular and that a wait could be incurred but could you please let me know if this is possible and also help me start the process of making the switch? 

Sorry for the attitude but I'm at my wit's end!!!!

Thanks,

Dan 

Message 1 of 19 (9,980 Views)
Rank 1: Guest
bobdung

Re: need to change phone mid contract - disgusted with quality of service from blackberry and vodafo

For what it's worth, I think you'd be mental to tag on another contract!   Read around the forums and see that 3G data is getting worse whatever phone you have. I have a 4s and it's rubbish for me!

If anything you'd be better and likely a lot cheaper to just buy either new or used, an unlocked 4s and get a new micro SIM. At least if it's still rubbish you can just stick it on ebay and pretty much get your money back..

Message 2 of 19 (9,971 Views)
Rank 47: Master I
AnnS

Re: need to change phone mid contract - disgusted with quality of service from blackberry and vodafo

[ Edited ]

Hi Dan

Vodafone give 7 working days to change your mind, after which time your option to change the phone whilst still in contract would be very limited.  You have 17 months to go on your current contract, and it would be impossible to tag amount of time onto a new contract.

If you look around the forum, you will see that early upgrades dont exist, the earliest you are now able to upgrade will be 50 days before the end of your contract. 

Your other alternative would be to take out an additional contract for an iphone, which would mean paying for two contracts or pay off your contract and then take out a new contract for an iphone.

The cheapest way to do it would be to buy your own phone and put your Blackberry on ebay.

Ann
Message 3 of 19 (9,969 Views)
dan_archer

Hi Ann,

I appreciate your comment about early upgrades not existing - they do though I'm afraid, whether they are official company policy or not as I upgraded to this BB almost 5 months before the end of my contract.

thanks for the reply though

Message 4 of 19 (9,813 Views)
Rank 45: Oracle IV
jeffkinn

15 months isn't 17 months but there are always exceptions that prove the rule. There is no harm in asking but it seems highly unlikely.

There are numerous threads in this forum and others about 3G coverage, battery life and all sorts of other problems with Blackberrys, iPhones and all the other makes. I had a BB Storm that was never a problem yet users moaned all of the time. Similarly with the iPhone 4 that I have now - I have no problems there either but others seem to.

The advice about buying a used 4S seems appropriate, especially given that the new iPhone will be launched sometimes later this year. But be careful where you buy it if you go that route and make sure it isn't locked to another network.

Finally, if 3G coverage is an issue at home consider getting a Sure Signal.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Message 5 of 19 (9,807 Views)
Rank 32: Scholar I
SynthFG

[ Edited ]

dan_archer wrote:

Hi Ann,

I appreciate your comment about early upgrades not existing - they do though I'm afraid, whether they are official company policy or not as I upgraded to this BB almost 5 months before the end of my contract.

thanks for the reply though

Vodafone used to offer upgrades 6 months early as a special offer, but these were overly expensive and many customers complained when they realised that in addition to the extra costs, the 24 month contract they were signign up for actually ran for 30 months, 

These upgrades may still be available if you ask nicely, but the longest reamining I have seen an upgrade offered is at around 11 or 12 months reamining. and that was before the new stricter policies came into force

17 months no chance, 

As Anne said you had 7 days to return the phone, now you are stuck with the contract and price plan for the duration you originally agreed to, 

The cheepest options are either to pay off your current contract or to source a new sim fre/payg handset yourself offsetting the cost by selling your blackberry 

Note I do not work for voda, Nor now am I a customer
My advice comes from experience and my opinions are my own
Message 6 of 19 (9,800 Views)
dan_archer

Thanks for the replies guys - its clearly a widespread problem as you see the complaints across the board throughout this forum. People expect even a medicore quality of service from a product and service that they sign up to and pay for month after month. Just because it is a widespread problem doesn't mean that I should have to continue to pay for a service that I am simply not able to receive. If the problem was just limited to 3G coverage/network coverage in the home then I would get sure signal - but it's not, I can be in an open park under a mile away from local masts and my phone can show 3G full coverage and still not connect to the internet or upload any web based apps etc - I have taken legal advice as I am fed up of having to tow the line of "they wont let you out of your contract early" "everybody has these kinds of problems" "your only bet is to pay off the remainder of your contract".

When I was sold this phone and contract package at no stage was a informed of any potential pitfalls of this phone and network provider, no information regarding the reduction in quality of 3G service I would receive when switching from my Andorid Galaxy to this BB, I wasn't informed that ON TOP of my contract I would be paying for BB service separately. I know the mobile phone companies and networks are huge, and will in large ignore any requests to sort out problems such as these but I am going to go through official channels now to replace my BB with a product that can deliver the service that a.) I pay for every month b.)not only I signed into a contract to receive said service BUT vodafone also bound themselves to fully providing this service - until they do so I will continue to take advice until it is resolved.

I know you will say "no chance" "good luck" "not happening" but I wouldnt put up with it in any other area of my life and neither would you guys.

thanks!

Message 7 of 19 (9,745 Views)
Rank 32: Scholar I
SynthFG

I think your issue is with the handset not the service

Whilst I can't comment on you not understanding that the Blackberry requires the £5pm BIS add on to work properly,  And again you did have a 7 day cooling off period to return the phone had you found it unsuitable

It sounds like your handset itself is wither not connecting correctly or is not holding a signal 

Have you tried taking it to a VF store, or Blackberry authorised maintanence point to look into a warenty reapir,

Note I do not work for voda, Nor now am I a customer
My advice comes from experience and my opinions are my own
Message 8 of 19 (9,739 Views)
dan_archer

To comment on my understanding of the blackberry services charge would be fairly simple - there is no consistent procedure as to whether this fee is included as part of your contract or whether when a salesman tells me that my contract will cost £36 a month to which I agree to, I then get billed for £42 a month - that is misselling and in no way compliant to fit and proper customer service. You simply wouldn't be able to get away with it in any other industry - and as for the 7 days cooling off period, that's not particularly helpful when a bill doesn't arrive until AFTER this period.

I have taken legal advice and from the CCP and there are basic failings on vodafone's part whether it be a problem with the handset that I use for their service - their tariff, their contract -their customer service -their lack of service provision based on a tariff which they cannot deliver - I have also complained twice through the vodafone complaints system and been ignored on both occasions - completely and utterly ignored.

"The Panel is concerned that complaints are not registered as complaints unless they are escalated, which means that many are not resolved properly. This is likely to have a particular impact on vulnerable consumers, who may not have the skills or confidence to pursue their complaints, or may not know that they can escalate a complaint. Vulnerable consumers may suffer financially as a result; they may end up abandoning meritorious complaints, with the result that they make payments which are not justified or get an unwarranted bad payment record. The Panel notes that some communications providers have been making efforts to improve complaints-handling by, for example, contacting customers who have called customer services to find out if they were satisfied with how their enquiries were handled.

There are currently two Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) telecoms schemes in the UK. They have been approved by Ofcom to help resolve disagreements between customers and their telephone company or internet service provider. One is Otelo, the Office of the Telecommunications Ombudsman, and the other is CISAS, the Communications and Internet Services Adjudication Scheme."

I have lodge my complaint with OFCOM as no matter how vodafone try to avoide responsiblitiy or attemtp to resolve this issue with a  long standing customer - the rules are CLEAR - OFCOM:

:"not giving you correct package costs; and not giving you the full story on minimum contract periods, or penalty charges if you close the contract early. Ofcom has strict rules which ban all forms of mis-selling and companies which break these rules can be fined up to 10 per cent of their turnover."

I wasn't givent the correct package cost OR given any information at all on early cancellation charges.

Message 9 of 19 (9,734 Views)
dan_archer

Message 10 of 19 (9,692 Views)
dan_archer

[ Edited ]

Due to having been ignored by Vodafone on two separate occasions after I have made formal complaints. Not received any satisfactory advice or support on this Vodafone E - Forum and having conuslted the communications consumer panel and OFCOM - I have decided to see if any advice or support from vodafone in my request a.) terminate my contract b.) switch my phone to my desired handset so that I can actually access the service that my contract holds them responsible to provide    - I am leaving this issue over the weekend - IF as I would imagine nothing happens and my complaints are further ignored I will be approaching the COMMUNICATIONS BRANCH of the OMBUDSMAN Services as approved by OFCOM.

As much as the initail problem itself has casued me untold problems, it is having my complaints completely ignored that has led me to having to go to the Ombudsman and lodge a complaint with them.

good luck other users - and those who replied to my rants and psots in here, thank you for your time and effort.

Message 11 of 19 (9,667 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Lee

Hello dan_archer,

Many thanks for your feedback so far. I can appreciate this must be hugely frustrating for you.

I'm sorry that you feel we're ignoring you. Nothing could be further from the truth. We work posts on the eForum in chronological order so that every customer gets the fair treatment they deserve. I'm sure you can understand that.

So we can have a look into the account and any mitigating circumstances I've sent you a PM which can be accessed here. If you could follow the instructions in the PM and send us your details one of the team will be with you as soon as they can.

Cheers,

Lee

Message 12 of 19 (9,646 Views)
dan_archer

Hi Lee,

I wasn't actually only referring to my complaint being ignored on the e-forum. I have submitted two official complaints via the voadfone website which OFCOM and the Communications OMBUDSMAN said that I must do. They said I msut giv ehte retailer and the network provider every opportunity to deal with my complaint by going through all official channels.

My original complaint through the vodafone website was around 14 days ago - they will apaprently deal with everything within 48 hours where they canb. RIGHT!! so then i left it around 10 days - absolutely nothing back - so I sent the compalint again, this was aobut 4 or 5 days ago - absolutely nothing back whatsoever.

I have made sure that I have given the network provider every opportunity to deal with this issue and they clearly and quite frankly don't care.

Onc eof the major issues that was discussed via OFCOM and the CCP was that companies such as vodafone often wont register a complaint as a complaint unless it is 'escalated'  -essentially hoping that paying customers who dont folllow through with their dissatisfaction at the service provided will simply go away.

You guys on this e-forum are usually extremely helpful adn I appreciate the efforts put in by the tech team and the other mentors - however as any kind of representative of the vodafone brand at the moment and the way that I have had to chase, email, call, go to OFCOM, register a complaint witht he ombudsman etc etc - it's a lot of stress and a lot of work that I had hoped by spending around £50 a month with vodafone for the past few years could have been dealt with sooner :smileysad:

will look at the PM now.

thanks

Message 13 of 19 (9,601 Views)
dan_archer

Just read the PM - and while I appreciate it is not your fault - the two times over th epast 10-14 days that I have lodged offical complaints though the vodafone contact us form I have been flat out ignored - your solution of getting in touch with you VIA the vodafone contact us forms doesn't fill me with confidence.

but, I shall give this one more chance before I pursue this matter outside of vodafone's complaints procedure as it is only fair to give one more opportunity as I know it's not you guys that have ignored me previously :/

thanks

Message 14 of 19 (9,596 Views)
dan_archer

Received a message from vodafone eforum 2 weeks after lodging my complaint with vodafone to the tune of "vodafone customer services have said they wont change your handset and we cant go against their advice" VODAFONE at no stage got in touch with me to let me know this, speak to me, explain their decision to me, inform me of their decision or even to let me know that they were even dealing with my complaint.

I am now going to have to take legal action to terminate my contract with vodafone. I was missold my contract in the first instance and am demandin that vodafone resolve this with either termination of my contract or compensation for the time/stress and money spent on this problem

If your written contract does not match the terms you agreed with the sales staff when you bought the service, you may have been mis-sold the contract.

Citizens Adivce Bureau

You should make a formal complaint to your service provider. You can ask that the terms of your contract be changed to match what the sales person said. If they do not resolve your complaint satisfactorily, you can report them to the Office of Fair Trading.

If your service provider has a term in your contract which says they disown statements made by sales staff, that would be un unfair contract term.

If the statement made by the sales person is false and it influenced your decision to buy the service, this is called misrepresentation. If this is the case, you can cancel your contract without charges and may be able to take legal action for compensation. A false statement which influenced your decision to enter into a contract is also an example of an unfair commercial practice. This is a criminal offence.

I will wait until the end of the day before contacting the office of fair trading for being missold my contract and then trading standards for misrepresentation - and i'm sure this issue with adding on £% p/month for blackberry services without letting the customer know is not a one-off.

please come back to me on this today  -i have lodged my complaint through the official vodafone complaint process for the third time in 2 weeks - but expect no reply as has been the case thus far.

Message 15 of 19 (9,541 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Lee

Hi there dan_archer,

Many thanks for your post.

Unfortunately the information that our team has given is correct. Our Customer Relations team are already dealing with your matter and have the given the correct advice. On both occasions that the eForum Team have replied to you, we have advised you that this is now with the Customer Relations team and we cannot undermine their decision.

I am afraid there is nothing further that we can do.

Sorry,

Lee

Message 16 of 19 (9,528 Views)
dan_archer

[ Edited ]

I am simply following advice from OFCOM, Citizens advice and CCP - "this matter is now with the customer relations team"  ?are they planning on getting in touch with me at any point? 'given the correct advice' what advice is that?

you missell a contract, missrepresent the terms and the product - that's a criminal offence - you have an official complaints process that ignores you when you complain and then you tell me there's nothing you can do?

amazing service and all adding to my complaint file. WOuldn't take much to delve a little further than 'my computer screen tells me i cant help you' would it?

tech team? really.

Message 17 of 19 (9,524 Views)
Tech Team
Dave

Hi Dan,

Apologies for any confusion.

Lee was referring to the advice we had provided in response to your contacting us via email following the PM. As he mentions, we cannot override the Customer Relations team - to clarify, they are the team we would escalate such queries to if needed, so your issue has already moved beyond our team in the complaints procedure.

I can see that they have been in touch previously, but I will be asking them to contact you back again regarding this.

Dave

I’m part of the Vodafone Tech Team and here to help. As this is a public forum, we can only answer non account specific queries. Please note, we’re unable to reply to private messages.

If you see a helpful post, please click the 'Thanks' button to let the author know. If a post solves your query, please click the ‘This is the Answer?’ button. This helps others find helpful answers in the community too.

Message 18 of 19 (9,504 Views)
dan_archer

Thank you Dave.

that would be great - I havent had an email or a phone call from vodafone so im not sure whaty constitutes "getting in touch"

thanks for the help!

Message 19 of 19 (9,495 Views)