Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

3GB data used inside 48 hours?!!?

jdm0388
4: Newbie

My 3GB data renews on the 19th of every month, sometimes i use it up a day or two before the end of the month. I have an iphone 6S

Apart from being in my car for 40 minutes each day where i may receive the odd email via mobile data, i am generally at work or home when using my phone, and always connected to wifi.

Today i recevived a text message at 22:56 saying i had 300mb left, i literally opened the text and went to finish off a drink i was making, when i returned i had another text saying my allowance was now completely used up.

I've just wasted an hour of my life with livechat who are worse than useless. i am calling 191 in the morning but will be revisiting this topic if this is not rectified.

I understand background data usage, I have wifi assist turned off but some apps are set to on for background data refresh. My behaviour has not changed recently, i havent been away from wifi for excessively long periods of time or using my phone any differently compared to previous months. With my phone settings and my usage patterns unchanged, i find it ridiculous that vodafone claim i have gone from using 3gb (somtimes a little more) every month, to using 3gb inside 48 hours?!

2 REPLIES 2

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Hi @jdm0388

You sound pretty clued up on how an iPhones settings can be set to help control data usage. 

If you look on the main page of the forum you'll see the piece called  Using More Mobile Data than usual - My Guide. 

This is a guide I wrote which may help. 

Can you go into your iPhones settings to look at your inbuilt Data Monitor to see what's used how much data. I'm assuming here you Reset the statistics on it after your data allowance resets each month. 

Vodafone can only say how much Data they have monitored being used which is then reflected in your myvodafone. They are unable to say what it's been used on. 

Most modern day smartphones cry out to be connected to the internet to update all sorts of apps , location based and weather which I think your aware of. 

Emails with attachments will use more data usually. 

Have you recently downloaded any new apps which may be the culprit. 

If not and the data usage continued then if this was my situation I'd....

• Closely watch my usage for the next month , clearing the statistics in my inbuilt data monitor. 
  • Try an alternative phone for a.Month as a process of elimination. 
  • Have an Apple Store run a diagnostic on the phone. 

Then if all didn't match with Vodafones usage figures challenge this with Customer Services. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Also have any of your Current App been updated and permission have been changed.

It is vital to make sure you do read the notification when new access is requested by your current Apps.