Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Additional charges while using prepaid phone card abroad

StuR
1: Seeker

Hi,

I recently used my phone while in the USA, using an AT&T prepaid phone card. However, even though the calls have deducted minutes from the phone card, Vodafone have still charged me £65 for a 45 minute call.

Does anyone have any experience of using prepaid phone cards in the USA from a UK mobile? I wasn't aware that it should be any different than using a standard landline to dial through the card?

I've spoken to customer services on the online chat system and they have so far been completely unhelpful, and didn't really seem to understand what I was trying to say.

If anyone from Vodafone reads this, unless these charges are dropped, I will be moving to a different network immediately, as my contract ended 4 months ago, so I have no restrictions on moving!

Thanks,

Stu

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

AnnS
17: Community Champion

Hi @StuR

As far as is known, call forwarding services, pre paid phone cards third party services are not supported.

However, If you were using a prepaid phone card where the number is diverted to an overseas number for forwarding on to the roaming network, you will be charged for the diverted part of the call, plus the roaming charge.  

Unfortunately, using prepaid phone cards is an expensive way of using your phone abroad, far better to pay the roaming charges for the US.  As you are pay monthly, you could have opted into World Traveller and used your UK allowance for £5.00 per day only charged when the phone was used for outgoing activity.

If you use live chat they will explain the charges but you will probably find these are legitimate charges and will need to be settled.

View solution in original position

2 REPLIES 2

BandOfBrothers

Hi @StuR

Just for my understanding of this. 

Did you remove your Vodafone UK sim card from the phone and not put it in another phone at all. 

And then obtain a local American Network sim card and used that in your phone?

If so then I'm at a loss how any charges could have been accrued. 

My apologies if I've read your post wrong. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

AnnS

Hi @StuR

As far as is known, call forwarding services, pre paid phone cards third party services are not supported.

However, If you were using a prepaid phone card where the number is diverted to an overseas number for forwarding on to the roaming network, you will be charged for the diverted part of the call, plus the roaming charge.  

Unfortunately, using prepaid phone cards is an expensive way of using your phone abroad, far better to pay the roaming charges for the US.  As you are pay monthly, you could have opted into World Traveller and used your UK allowance for £5.00 per day only charged when the phone was used for outgoing activity.

If you use live chat they will explain the charges but you will probably find these are legitimate charges and will need to be settled.