cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Blacklisting my IMEI number - Vodafone refusing to blacklist it!

vic_pet
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I am beyond frustrating and banging my head against a brick wall. I have contact Vodafone 10 times, my insurance company More Than 4 times and Apple 3 times. 

My phone was stolen on June 2nd and I requested my network provider block the phone. I provided proof that the SIM was blocked to my insurance company but they require evidence that the IMEI number was also blacklisted. Despite repeated requests, Vodafone are refusing because I purchased the phone direct from Apple - they say its Apple that have to do this. But Apple insist they do not have these capabilities and my insurance company advice me that ONLY my network provider can do this And research on the internet suggests the same thing. Interestingly the insurance company said they get this problem all the time from network providers, with Vodafone being the worst! And that I will just have to keep asking them until someone does it for me. 

If it was over a small amount of money I'd have given up - this just isn't worth the stress. But we are talking about £500!

Does anyone know how the hell I can make Vodafone blacklist my IMEI number? I have run out of options. I might go into an Apple shop (where they are always so helpful) and ask them to get on the phone to Vodafone with me and force them to undestand that only they have the capabilty to block the IMEI.....

Nothing will make me happier at this point than to leave Vodafone, but sadly I am locked down in a contract until October :Sad_face: I hate them. 

57 REPLIES 57

Tommy
4: Newbie

Hello @vic_pet sorry to hear you are having problems regarding a stolen devicr. Did you use the Vodafone SIM card in the device that was stolen? Was the SIM card inside it at the time of the theft?

If so then customer service can check your usage to retrieve the IMEI number. It should not matter where you got the device from as long as a record of it can be seen on your account.

You can also request a Proof of Usage showing the IMEI number for your insurance claim. :Smiling:

Thanks - hopefully I understand your messgae correctly - yes the device contained my Vodafone SIM at the time of theft. I have the IMEI number, as do Vodafone. But they are refusing to blacklist it. They have only blocked the SIM which is only half of what my insurance company require so as to pay out on my claim. Unfortunately the insurance company do not want proof of usage of the IMEI - but very specifically proof of blacklisting. Their is a national database on which my IMEI is still showing as 'active'. For love nor money I cannot find a way to blacklist it. 

Jenny
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@vic_pet – I’m sorry to hear of the problems you’re having with blacklisting your IMEI.

I’ve sent you a private message with instructions on how to get in touch, so we can get this sorted.

@Jenny thanks but the 'click here' link does not work and I can only see half of the message. 

Jenny....Vodafone....can you please HELP ME!!!!!

Gemma
Community Manager
Community Manager

@vic_pet - I’ve sent you another private message. Please select the ‘here’ that will be highlighted in red on the message you receive.

For anyone that gets stuck in the same situation, I might as well update this for your sake. Vodafone continue to be completely inept. This is what I have done so far:

- Spoken to apple 4 times. Everytime they confirm they are an electronics company and not a network provider so therefore do not possess the capacity to blacklist IMEIs

- Went into an apple store and the above was confirmed

- Phoned the police who also confirmed that only the network provider can blacklist an IMEI

- Used Vodafones chat facility twice, but only achieved a proof of purchase which is NOT what I requested. 

- Requested a Manager at Vodafone contact me - no one ever did

- Called their regular call centre and spoken to approximately 10 people all who say they cannot help me. Including the department that deals with peope that want to leave. 

- Been into a Vodafone store who told me to go to Apple (which I did, see above)

- Used this forum which has achieved nothing, only more of my time wasted

- Contacted the people suggested in this forum email and surprise surprise had no response. 

- Contacted the insurance company 6 times. They deal with this ALL the time and say Vodafone are the WORST. Said I have to persist and that only a network provider has the ability to block an IMEI. 

Banging my head against a brick wall and feel like crying. Would give up but this is worth over £500. Roll on October when I can leave Vodafone. 

Latest advice from insurance company is that I make Vodafone register the IMEI number, even though the handset was stolen 2 months ago, and THEN get them to blacklist it. 

Alex
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@vic_pet Please make sure you click the subject line of the email before trying to click the hyperlink, otherwise this won't work. 

You'll then also be able to see the full message. 

Hi. I already filled out the form and submitted it 5 days ok. Shockingly I have had no response (said with a massive amount of sarcasm!).