Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Charged while roaming abroad

SheltieBoy
1: Seeker

I contacted Vodafone before travelling to Singapore. I was told that for an additional daily charge I would then be able to use data etc from my contract account.

On the flights out, I couldn't resist the novelty in the Dreamliner of being able to text while flying but from the disclaimers, I didn't think that the amounts would be prohibitive.

The next thing I know, I've received a text from Vodafone saying that I've reached my monthly data limit in the Rest of World Zone. I can uncap it, but the last time I did that, I got charged an absolute fortune. 

I believed Vodafone when they said they'd automatically add me to the scheme (whatever it's called!), but when I belatedly tried to add it, I got text not delivered!

I decided to bite the bullet and call. After a few automated messages, I finally got fobbed off with "we cannot take your call due to an emergency"!

So, in desperation I turn to this forum. How did I get charged so much when I thought I was covered and how can I get to the scheme that I thought I'd been promised!?

6 REPLIES 6

AnnS
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Hi @SheltieBoy

You would have been using the airlines own network and this is in flight calling charged as Rest of the World Zone 2.

Please see the link below for charges for using airlines (airoplane, flight)

Travelling Abroad

Getafix
16: Advanced member

First, you should not have your phone on unless it is in Flight Mode. That is the phone should not be connected to a Network.

I am not aware of any Airline at the moment that allows Network Connection while flying.

If you check your bill, it will tell you which Country you have incurred the charges in.

donnyguy

Hey Getafix,vfGR.jpg

A lot of airlines have mobile networks now on their long haul flights allowing you to connect to networks such as AeroMobile whilst in the sky for voice, text and data.

You'll see from the screenshots that they are pretty expensive to use but your home network sends you a welcome text to let you know how much you'll be paying. 

I have a Vodafone Greece account and you'll see from their welcome text that they charge €7,05 a minute for incoming or outgoing calls. It also costs €1 to send a text.

We then have BT Mobile (I was with them on my last trip, I'm now back with Vodafone UK),  who also sent me a text to let me know the charges. With them you can see the charges on the screenshot. They refer to the network as a satellite network.

BTMob.jpgYou then have BT Mobile who call it Aircraft and you can see the charges.

I think the point here is that satellite / aircraft networks don't fall into any networks roaming offers and are quite expensive to use. I would assume Vodafone would have sent the original poster a welcome text to let them know what they were paying. I also think this is one of those times where thankfully the €50 roaming cap has taken effect or this could be a lot worse.

You have to be careful of these kind of networks on ferries also as they have their own networks which are also maritime / satellite networks.

I think this though needs to be filed under lesson learnt.

Or have I completely missed the point here...?

Is the point of the thread that the original poster tried to add WorldTraveller / RoamFurther whilst in Singapore and incurred the roaming charges there?

Thanks Donnyguy.

I was aware that I'd be charged extra for texting but I was unaware I'd be charged for data(I have no texts on my phone to that effect). The only reason I can communicate with you now is because I can access the wifi in the hotel and I assumed it would be a similar arrangement. As soon as I step outside the door I am blocked because of the cap, so I can never actually get to roaming unless I opt to permanently uncap which I am unwilling to do because of the massive bill I received last time I did that when I was abroad. 

This whole episode has left a very sour taste in the mouth. I thought I had pre-empted the very thing that has happened to me and my holiday has been adversely affected. For that reason I think I'll be switching to another provider when I get back even although I've been with Vodafone for twenty plus years and I I'm sure other providers are equally as bad at giving the relevant advice. 

donnyguy

Yeah I do totally get where you're coming from with regards the situation on the plane as they offer both wifi and mobile coverage. If you pick up the wifi then you get a landing page asking for your payment details to buy a pass (some airlines offer a free allowance) and that's how your billed. In addition to onboard wifi, you get the onboard mobile network with data which you're charged for by your home operator at high prices due to the nature of the network. 

I understand it's left you with a sour taste but at least the cap was in place so you're looking at 50€ of data roaming rather than silly money.

So what are you wanting to do now? 

You're in Singapore, do you have the RoamFurther / WorldTraveller on your account? If so, and you're happy to pay the £5 per day charge for full usage of your phone then remove the cap. At least you'll know what you'll pay for the time you're over there and get full use of your phone again.

Getafix

I didn't realise that could use mobile on flights.