Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Data amount

Lou1509
8: Helper
8: Helper

Is 500mb a decent amount or not? I currently have 1gb, i hardly use my data while im out and about and at work and use wifi at home ... So wondered if 500mb would be ample thanks for any info 

7 REPLIES 7

63johnw
17: Community Champion

Hi @Lou1509 only if you are a very light user, more and more stuff is moving online/streaming so for me 2G is a minimum now. Look at your usage over the last few months and base it on that.

How do I check my previous usage?

63johnw

Using the my vodafone app and looking at bills can give you an idea as you can look at data breakdown for a month (you have to add it up yourself though !)

BandOfBrothers

Some phones also have inbuilt data monitors that can be looked at. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

BandOfBrothers

Hi

It depends on your personal usage pattern and what you access and what type if phone your using. 

Take into account a smartphone connects to the internet for many reasons. For updating apps and accessing locations as well as searching for new emails and app notifications such as weather and social media. 

In my opinion 500mb is OK for a basic feature phone where someone is predominantly using Wi-Fi and do not have mobile data turned on lot. 

1gb IMO is the minimum I'd say for a smartphone. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

redpages

I think you'd just about get by on 500MB with extremely light usage (email without big attachments, reading the news etc.)

One of the biggest drains would come if you're streaming videos on YouTube or have videos set to play automatically on Facebook. 

As others have said, it's worth checking how many MB (megabytes) or GB (gigabytes) you typically use a month. This can be found on your previous Vodafone bills. 

Vodafone customer since 2004. Attempting to help where I can on the Community

hrym

Yes indeed, most phones have an inbuilt data monitor (on Android, it's under Settings|Data) that you can scroll back through time.   There are also 3rd party apps, such as My Data Manager, which are slightly more user-friendly, but will only show use after they've been installed (not before).

A lot depends on what you do and how much access you have to wifi.   Public wifi is widespread, but has potential security issues for things like banking.   It's possible to manage on just that, though - I had to do it once for a long weekend when I'd used more mobile data than I intended earlier in the month.