Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Defaulted Vodafone account on my credit file

marekk
2: Seeker

Hi,

I have recently applied for a mortgage and to my surprise the application was declined. Reason - credit check fail. The thing is that I have never missed a payment on anything and so my financial adviser told me to get my credit report from experian and find out what is causing the issue. What I discovered is that Vodafone recorded a default on my account that I believed has been closed in November 2012 (the default is for huge £14). The contract has run out at that time and so I contacted Vodafone and told them to close the account and that I'll be moving my number to O2 and so I did. As far as I was concerned my Vodafone account was settled. Vodafone never contacted my about the £14. If they did I would have paid it. Even if the payment was to be one month late it would not damage my credit profile. Is it even legal to default my account without some sort of communication to let me know? 

Straight after I got my credit report I called Vodafone and paid the £14 over the phone. (the account will soon show as settled but the default will stay) I asked them if I can get the default removed from my credit file and they couldn't tell me so they asked me to wait and that they will be in touch within 5 days. Yeah right... I called them again after 5 days and asked them to remove the default. I was told that it cannot be done because I did not pay my bill for 10 months. I was furious after the phone call. How can I pay for a bill that I dont know even existed?

I would really appriciate some help with this matter. I know that some people have been successful with getting the default removed.

459 REPLIES 459

Izykt1999
3: Seeker

On 5 Jun 2014, at 12:38, [Removed for security] wrote: [Removed for security] Hi, i'm so sorry to bother you, I have been speaking today with one of your emploers Alex, who has advised me to send you an email, with the concern that i have. I would be so gretful if you would please be so kind to remove a default that is on my experian credit report, as it is preventing me from getting a mortgage. I understand that this is my fault and i am really truly sorry. please could you help me as i am very stressed out about this matter. I have worked so hard at university and i have secured a job as a nurse and would really like to buy my house, but the default is preventing me from doing so. :Sad_face: Experian have emailed you regarding this matter and the reference number is 1443826 they said that they can not remove it and that it is yourselves that have the power to do so, please consider removing it, please…. Thank you for taking the time to read this letter. kindest regards

Izykt1999
Omg, how do I delete this, copied and pasted, the message I sent VF by accident.. Please help?!?

Hi, I have tried to get a mortgage recently, however I was declined due to a default with vodaphone, u was shocked to discover that I defaulted, as I paid the outstanding balance. Please could you remove the sea fault from my credit file? Please, please, please....extremely stressed out, Been saving for my deposit and then to be told that your unsuccessful because of something you have no control over, so stressful :Sad_face: i spike to Alex from vodaphone and she said there's no record of me owing any money to yourselves. Please consider removing the default, as it's ruining my life.. Drastic I know, but it really is.. Thanks for taking the time to read this.. Please help, I would be so, so grateful.. Kindest regards

AnnS
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Hello lzkt1999

If you were behind with your payment and owed Vodafone money which you were late paying, it will be a genuine default and will remain on your credit file for 6 years.  Vodafone are not able to remove the default as they have a legal obligation to your future credititors to report any late or missed payments.

If you have settled the debt, the default will be marked as settled.   As the default is causing you problems getting a morgage, you will be able to add a Notice of Correction which lenders should take into account.

What is a Notice of Correction?

The eForum Team will be able to look at the account.  The only time a default can be removed is if it was incorrectly placed.

biffo1963
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member
You can't delete it but you can EDIT it to take out the personal information.

Izykt1999
I spoke to someone name Alex and she said that the default was not supposed to be there and it will be removed! However it has not been, please could you look into it on my behalf. Also I accidentally posted the email I sent vodaphone on the forum, could you please delete this as it has all of my details on.. Kindest regards, georgina.

Izykt1999
I've spoke to VF and they said it been put in in error, and they will remove it, however it's still on my report. Kindest regards.

Izykt1999
How do I edit post? Thanks for getting back to me. Kindest regards.

Jenny
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi Izykt1999,

I’m sorry to see what’s happened.

So that we can look into this further, take a look here for how to get in touch.

We aim to reply to emails within 48 hours. If you need a quicker response, please visit our Contact Us page.

Thanks,

Jenny

donaldo25
I have been issued a default on my credit file even though I followed all the rules issued by Vodafone.
I went traveling for a year and came back to a £200.00 fine, apparently oweing to outstanding accounts that I settled before departing. Vodafone advised me that the fee would not disappear and I would be black-listed if I did not pay. I did pay but I was still issued with the default. I have now been refused a mortgage! I feel so betrayed and as a long term Vodafone customer I also feel let down. Can anyone help?