Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Defaulted Vodafone account on my credit file

marekk
2: Seeker

Hi,

I have recently applied for a mortgage and to my surprise the application was declined. Reason - credit check fail. The thing is that I have never missed a payment on anything and so my financial adviser told me to get my credit report from experian and find out what is causing the issue. What I discovered is that Vodafone recorded a default on my account that I believed has been closed in November 2012 (the default is for huge £14). The contract has run out at that time and so I contacted Vodafone and told them to close the account and that I'll be moving my number to O2 and so I did. As far as I was concerned my Vodafone account was settled. Vodafone never contacted my about the £14. If they did I would have paid it. Even if the payment was to be one month late it would not damage my credit profile. Is it even legal to default my account without some sort of communication to let me know? 

Straight after I got my credit report I called Vodafone and paid the £14 over the phone. (the account will soon show as settled but the default will stay) I asked them if I can get the default removed from my credit file and they couldn't tell me so they asked me to wait and that they will be in touch within 5 days. Yeah right... I called them again after 5 days and asked them to remove the default. I was told that it cannot be done because I did not pay my bill for 10 months. I was furious after the phone call. How can I pay for a bill that I dont know even existed?

I would really appriciate some help with this matter. I know that some people have been successful with getting the default removed.

459 REPLIES 459

Jenny
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi @AliK

I’m sorry to hear this.

So that we can look into this further, please reply to the last email we sent.

If it was all discussed over the phone and an email wasn’t sent, please send us another by including the routing code in the subject line again.

Thanks,

Jenny

Hi Jenny

Thank you for your response.

To what email may I send this? and by routing code do u mean my account number or telephone number?

Yours

Alik

Retired-Sarah
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi @AliK 

Please reply to the last email you received from Lee.

In the subject, so we receive this please type WRT135.

Thanks,

Sarah

Hi 

I did and this is what I recieved in response.

"We don’t use this email address anymore, so our advisers won’t get your message. Don’t worry, you can chat to an adviser online instead – they’re available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week."

I thne tried the advisor and it takes you through a whole diferent process and it did not work!!!!!!!

Is there a reason why Vodafone makes it so dificult for customers to deal with issues!!!! 

drey_p
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

@AliK wrote:

I did and this is what I recieved in response.

"We don’t use this email address anymore, so our advisers won’t get your message. Don’t worry, you can chat to an adviser online instead – they’re available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week."

And the reason you got that response is because you didn't follow the instructions you were given.  If you put anything other than the special 6 character code into the subject line, you will get that response.  ONly use those 6 characters and nothing else and your message will go through.

PWIAC

MikeSandiford

Hi I am having the same problem, didnt have any notification that was going to default what soever, no paperwork or anything.  I even dispouted the final bill with them and it was never resolved.  There was an arrangement to pay in place and they never even added the payments to my account?  TO make matters worse I paid the bill in full as soon as realised was still outstanding not knowing that they hadnt even added the payments.

I have a default on my account for £240 which is stopping me and my family getting a mortgage over a disputed bill that was actually being paid.  It is disgusting that Vodafone take this stance and choose to affect someones life in such a drastic way. 

I would like somone to tell me who I can actually email as I emailed about this with proof of payment and I am told to go on live chat.  The service is appauling and Vodafone have been supplying incorrect information to experian as well.  

Please someone help as this small issue 5 years ago is ruining my life and the information is incorrect.

Mike

Jenny
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi @MikeSandiford,

I’m sorry to hear what’s happened.

Take a look here for how to get in touch and we can look into everything further.

We aim to reply to emails within 48 hours. If you need a quicker response, please visit our Contact Us page.

Thanks,

Jenny

littlecat2015

I'm having the same problems, I opened an account in 1996 with Vodafone (still have the original contract).

I contacted them in November 2012 to cancel my contract, nobody was bothered - i did think maybe they'd try to keep a customer but they didn't bother. I received my final bill in December 2012 but only received the summary page, considering my bills were never more than £30-£40 i got a bit of a shock when the bill was just over £200. I contacted Vodafone immediately to ask for the itemised bill - i got a years worth of bills emailed to me, all the months except December had itemised calls, so i asked again - still received nothing. I then got a letter from a debt collecting agency which i immediately contacted - explained i wanted the itemised bill so they said i would need to get back in touch with Vodafone and she would refer the account back to them with the notes "this is a query account" (i contacted them again). I never had any further correspondance from them.

I got a copy of my credit report last week - a nice Default from Vodafone.
I contacted someone on the phone who told me the bills were sent to "and read out an address i don't live at" then when i went on the live chat, again the guy said to me "the updated address we have for you" - I've lived at the same address for 15 years so why would it be updated?

This is so frustrating - All i wanted was to see the calls i'd made to confirm they were correct - and Vodafone could not provide this so just shoved a dirty default on me!

Hi @littlecat2015 

So that we can look into this further, take a look here for how to get in touch.

We aim to reply to emails within 48 hours. 

Thanks,

Ian

Ryandpercival
Hi,

I have a very similar issue to the rest of the people here, I called Vodafone as I couldn't use the data signal in my area and cancelled my contract paid how much they said I had left to clear the contract and moved my number to another provider, I tried to get a car recently only to find out that my credit rating is nearly non existent thanks to late payment of the Vodafone account I was never told I would be slapped with a early termination fee on top of the money I had already paid, anyway I called up a few month ago and paid it off as I couldn't be bothered with the amount of bother it would be to dispute it, my account is not showing as defaulted on my credit report again but with a zero balance? Can someone sort this out please?

Thanks