Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Defaulted Vodafone account on my credit file

marekk
2: Seeker

Hi,

I have recently applied for a mortgage and to my surprise the application was declined. Reason - credit check fail. The thing is that I have never missed a payment on anything and so my financial adviser told me to get my credit report from experian and find out what is causing the issue. What I discovered is that Vodafone recorded a default on my account that I believed has been closed in November 2012 (the default is for huge £14). The contract has run out at that time and so I contacted Vodafone and told them to close the account and that I'll be moving my number to O2 and so I did. As far as I was concerned my Vodafone account was settled. Vodafone never contacted my about the £14. If they did I would have paid it. Even if the payment was to be one month late it would not damage my credit profile. Is it even legal to default my account without some sort of communication to let me know? 

Straight after I got my credit report I called Vodafone and paid the £14 over the phone. (the account will soon show as settled but the default will stay) I asked them if I can get the default removed from my credit file and they couldn't tell me so they asked me to wait and that they will be in touch within 5 days. Yeah right... I called them again after 5 days and asked them to remove the default. I was told that it cannot be done because I did not pay my bill for 10 months. I was furious after the phone call. How can I pay for a bill that I dont know even existed?

I would really appriciate some help with this matter. I know that some people have been successful with getting the default removed.

459 REPLIES 459

After posting in this thread a couple of weeks ago. i followed the instructions and spoke to a vodafone representative on the Live Help. After some back and forth with the person on the other end of the helpline (who at one point informed me that my "professional" mortgage advisor was wrong and having a default on my credit report would have no effect in getting a mortgage), they finally told me that there is a dedicated team that is dealing with these complaints and my issue would be forwarded to them and I should receive an update with 3-4 working days. This conversation took place on Saturday 8th May and I still haven't received any contact from anybody. 

Hi @jamesm1985

Get in touch with us by following the instructions in this private message.

Thanks,

Wayne

This has become a joke, for the past 7 months you have been telling me that your systems are upgrading, something about moving the old migration to the new system, I don't know what is going on but for the past 7 months you have consistently suspended my line every month when I have a direct debit set up but you are not taking the money out, every month you confirm and say my direct debit is active and then do not take the money and suspend my line, now you have taken this too far by putting a default/late payment on my credit history which in turn has resulted in me being declined for a mortgage. I am so tired and regret ever joining Vodafone that I really just want to end this contract. Please help! for the past 7 months I have been making payments by calling up every month and using my bank card, I shouldn't have to go through all this, as a customer who always pays his bills on time.

Ray

This has become a joke, for the past 7 months you have been telling me that your systems are upgrading, something about moving the old migration to the new system, I don't know what is going on but for the past 7 months you have consistently suspended my line every month when I have a direct debit set up but you are not taking the money out, every month you confirm and say my direct debit is active and then do not take the money and suspend my line, now you have taken this too far by putting a default/late payment on my credit history which in turn has resulted in me being declined for a mortgage. I am so tired and regret ever joining Vodafone that I really just want to end this contract.

Ben_H
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi @lilg132

I'm sorry to see this.

I've sent some instructions to your Private Message inbox, so we can access your account securely.

We reply to most emails within 48 hours. If you need a quicker response, please come and chat to us on Live help.

Thanks,

Ben

elenabivol
Hi thank you for your reply,
I haven't cancel it Vodafone cancelled I was not using it but agreed to pay monthly,once called Vodafone and informed that my account is cleared,I did not changed my adress, not been informed about default

drey_p
16: Advanced member

And why did Vodafone cancel the contract?

It sounds like you set up a payment plan to clear an outstanding balance.  That will be reported on your credit file. 

PWIAC

elenabivol
For a late payment and I did not have a option to clear it before a default as a customer who had an account already before and everything was ok

drey_p

@elenabivol wrote:
For a late payment and I did not have a option to clear it before a default as a customer who had an account already before and everything was ok

Let's see if I have this right.  You failed to pay your bill for a while.  As a result Vodafone ended your contract?  Is this correct ?

PWIAC

elenabivol
I have been informed yesterday by one of your customer adviser Shana that the default will be removed after one month