Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Defaulted Vodafone account on my credit file

marekk
2: Seeker

Hi,

I have recently applied for a mortgage and to my surprise the application was declined. Reason - credit check fail. The thing is that I have never missed a payment on anything and so my financial adviser told me to get my credit report from experian and find out what is causing the issue. What I discovered is that Vodafone recorded a default on my account that I believed has been closed in November 2012 (the default is for huge £14). The contract has run out at that time and so I contacted Vodafone and told them to close the account and that I'll be moving my number to O2 and so I did. As far as I was concerned my Vodafone account was settled. Vodafone never contacted my about the £14. If they did I would have paid it. Even if the payment was to be one month late it would not damage my credit profile. Is it even legal to default my account without some sort of communication to let me know? 

Straight after I got my credit report I called Vodafone and paid the £14 over the phone. (the account will soon show as settled but the default will stay) I asked them if I can get the default removed from my credit file and they couldn't tell me so they asked me to wait and that they will be in touch within 5 days. Yeah right... I called them again after 5 days and asked them to remove the default. I was told that it cannot be done because I did not pay my bill for 10 months. I was furious after the phone call. How can I pay for a bill that I dont know even existed?

I would really appriciate some help with this matter. I know that some people have been successful with getting the default removed.

459 REPLIES 459

elenabivol
Sorry drey_p ,what will be reported on my credit file ?i have already a default from vodafone

drey_p
16: Advanced member

@elenabivol wrote:
Sorry drey_p ,what will be reported on my credit file ?i have already a default from vodafone

What I was trying to get across is that payment plans are also reported on your credit file.

Can I confirm I am understanding you correctly.  You failed to pay your bill for a while.  As a result Vodafone ended your contract?  Is this correct ?

PWIAC

I currently have a default against my credit file for a phone contract that I cancelled and never owed any money for in the first place as I rang vodafone and confirmed cancelling the contract and I sent the phone back to the company.

For whatever reason, I never recieved a notification from vodafone to say that they had placed a default on my credit file.

Is there any way that an advisor can check my account (where a case has been raised against my existing account number - 685042830) and send me an email to confirm that this was indeed a mistake and that the default is in the process of being removed

drey_p
The eForum doesn't deal with account specific queries so you will need to call 191 from any Vodafone handset or 03333 040 191 from any UK phone. Ask to be out through to collections as they will have access to the debt

PWIAC

I was missold two contracts in store in a few years ago. I told the sales agent I couldn't take the contract as I leave the country every so often for a few months at a time to visit my wife who isn't able to get a UK visa. They said don't worry as Vodafone allow you to suspend your contract for up to 3 months at a time.

When it came around the time to do this a called up and was old that only armed forces personnel can cancel contracts when they're on duty abroad. I disputed this with the lady and told her I couldn't pay then as I wouldn't be working after I left.

When I came back from my time abroad there were no bills at home, no default notices, nothing. I Forgot all about the contracts until recently when I checked my credit file and noticed the default.

I phoned up Vodafone and was told that the lady I spoke to a year or more ago had reduced the cost considerably to pay of the contracts but I was never informed of this on the initial call. Anyway, I paid the outstanding amount in full on this call and disputed the default. They said they had to email another department and they would contact me.

Two weeks later and I didn't hear anything. I called and had them dispute it again and was told I would be contacted in 2 weeks.

It is now another 2 weeks later and no one has contacted me. Vodafone has not even updated my credit file to show that the account has been settled let alone remove the default.

Who can help me with this?

drey_p
You will need to continue to liaise with collections. Call up 191 from any Vodafone handset and ask to speak to them. You can also call 03333 040 191 from any UK phone.

Just so you're aware this forum is now customer to customer support only.

PWIAC

Jamiemarley
4: Newbie
Vodafone to say I am disappointed is an under statement.

You guys helped me successfully remove a default from my account 3 or 4 months ago that you admitted was wrongly placed.

The exact same default has no suddenly reappeared again and is affecting my credit score

Please I need this removing immediately

Thank you

jackbrob22

Hello,

My experian credit report is showing that an account in my name has not been paying its bills. I have been abroad for the last 12 months and had no such account,

Please could you advise me how to have the bill and corresponding 'black mark' on my credit score removed please?

Thank you,

Jack

kids
Community Champion (Retired)
Community Champion (Retired)

While waiting for Vodafone to sort this out you should ask Experian to put a note on your account to the effect that you are disputing the entry as you have not had an account.

then you will need to persevere with either Live Chat or call 191 and ask for collections as they will have details of the alleged account.

Andrea1974
3: Seeker
3: Seeker
Hi marek well done in getting your default removed I have had the same problem but have had the default removed from the status part of the credit file which now says settled but have been told I still can not get a mortgage till this is changed to up to date and the default balance changed to zero have u managed to get this done yourself would luv to know how?
Thanks Andrea.