Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Defaulted Vodafone account on my credit file

marekk
2: Seeker

Hi,

I have recently applied for a mortgage and to my surprise the application was declined. Reason - credit check fail. The thing is that I have never missed a payment on anything and so my financial adviser told me to get my credit report from experian and find out what is causing the issue. What I discovered is that Vodafone recorded a default on my account that I believed has been closed in November 2012 (the default is for huge £14). The contract has run out at that time and so I contacted Vodafone and told them to close the account and that I'll be moving my number to O2 and so I did. As far as I was concerned my Vodafone account was settled. Vodafone never contacted my about the £14. If they did I would have paid it. Even if the payment was to be one month late it would not damage my credit profile. Is it even legal to default my account without some sort of communication to let me know? 

Straight after I got my credit report I called Vodafone and paid the £14 over the phone. (the account will soon show as settled but the default will stay) I asked them if I can get the default removed from my credit file and they couldn't tell me so they asked me to wait and that they will be in touch within 5 days. Yeah right... I called them again after 5 days and asked them to remove the default. I was told that it cannot be done because I did not pay my bill for 10 months. I was furious after the phone call. How can I pay for a bill that I dont know even existed?

I would really appriciate some help with this matter. I know that some people have been successful with getting the default removed.

459 REPLIES 459

kids
Community Champion (Retired)

Those people who have had a default marker removed were those where Vodafone made an error and placed the marker after they had sent a final bill showing a zero balance and a letter of closure.

Where there was an outstanding balance this has to be reflected on the monthly return made to the credi reference agency.  You can of course ask the credit agency to put a notice of correction on your file explaining why the debt to Vodaone came about.

Kcireval
Exactly the same thing has happened to me, although my debt was already settled! Its been going on for over 2 years now! I terminated my contract early and paid the cancellation fee, around a year later they told me they had taken me to a debt collection agency (fredricksons) over the cancellation fee. managed to get them to do an investigation and they admitted it was a mistake on their behalf and they said they had credited the £135 back in march, not had a single letter or anything informing me i owe them money! Went to start my mortgage application this week and thought id better check my credit score and saw that i have a default on my account because i owe vodafone £135! Rang them 3 days ago and the woman said i dont owe them anything and my credit score would be ammended but it hasnt and ive spent 4 hours today ringing vodafone with them telling me i owe them the money and theres nothing i can do! Im completely lost with what move to take next! Any help would be appreciated but at the moment its looking bleak and is also looking like im going to lose the property me and my partner have reserved!

Kcireval
2 days have passed and still no one has been in contact, just got off the phone and they say they never admitted it was their fault, they never credited the debt collection, they will take 35 off my outstanding balance and i only owe 100, i never had any contact with vodafone after they told me they had credited my account in march yet my default was placed in may? Interested to know how others have had their default removed as their refusing to take mine off, how do i pay a bill ive already been told is settled? Been to ofcom but unsure what to do next?

Kcireval
I tried liturally everything, i wouldnt worry too much about not getting a mortgage as my mortgage broker told me alot of the banks lending the money completly ignore any mobile phone company defaults and most will still lend you the money if the amount is settled and under £1000, the way i managed to sort mine was alot easier than i thought, after spending about 2 weeks constantly on the phone getting nowhere, i then went to my local MP, had a 5 minute talk and told them the situation, within 3 days the default was removed and balance settled and completely off my credit report, i have now 2 days ago completed my mortgage process and waiting now to move in

Debs8276

Hi Please help!

Very similiar to marekk except mine was £9. Here are the facts.

I was talked into this rolling pay as you go bundle by the Vodafone teller in Leeds instead of a  bog standard pay as you go sim.

When I cancelled my pay as you go bundle the teller said I didn't owe anything (again in Leeds)

All was fine I was transferred onto a pay as you go SIM and on I went with life.

Out of the blue I received a letter (quite alarming saying I owed said amount and I needed to contact Vodafone urgently!) which I did. 

Had a telephone conversation with the member of vodafone staff where I  settled the amount for £9, when I asked if this would go on my credit score she laughed and said "no not for £9!"  that must be recorded somewhere!

It is also worth noting I didn't receive any bill/invoice for said amount otherwise I would have paid no problem! 

Can someone/vodafone please advise how to resolve.. I am intending starting my own business in a few weeks and would rather not blacken my impeccable credit score for £9 which i didn't know I owed! 

TIA

Shab15nam
3: Seeker
Hi,

I desperately need some one to help me.
Vodafone customer service line can't be bothered to answer my question.
Long story short, right in the middle of my mortgage application I have found out that I have a defaulted account with Vodafone. Surprisingly I have received neither e-mail nor phone calls regarding to my late payment. What amazes me more that I have another account with Vodafone which I have not missed a payment at all for 4 years now and whilst signing the agreement, I gave my main number as an alternative number that Vodafone can reach me on. Again I have not received any calls from Vodafone!!!!!
Checked my posts etc and no letter with regards to late payment has arrived.
It is absolutely unfair!!! I have been with Vodafone for 4 years and is it the way Vodafone treats their loyal customers?!
My mortgage adviser asked me to get Vodafone to report the account as settled and a letter from Vodafone that they have not informed me and the defaulted account has to be removed.
I am trying to set a direct debit for remaining of the contract and again same story with billing department of Vodafone!!!
For whoever having problem like this do not try solve the issue by calling Vodafone customer service. They have either don't have any idea what is going on in Vodafone or simply they can be bothered.

kids

The only people who have the authority to remove the flag on your account are COLLECTIONS on 191 on a weekday.

You should when speaking to collections be able to pay the default balance using either a Credit or Debit card.

If you have not already done so you can ask the credit agency to put a Notice of Correction on your account where you can explain the reason for the default marker.

@Shab15nam - I've sent you a private message with details on how to get in touch.

For anyone else with the same issue, try the steps listed here and if you’re still affected, contact customer service.

Shab15nam
Hi Charles,

I have tried the code in the message to send you detailed explanation but the code is not working. Would you mind checking if the code is still valid and if not sending me a new one?

Thanks

Shab15nam
Hi All,

Here is an update on my behalf.

Same story as you all have. I was not aware of my late payments until I have found my credit score gone down from excellent to poor.

Whilst paying for the outstanding amount they caredit file team said that they have sent me e-mails and letters to warn me. Talking to my lawyer today he advised me to ask Vodafone to re-send me the e-mails they may have sent. I called Vodafone customer relations today and asked them for the same. To my surprise the lady on the phone totally denied existing of letters and e-mails. She said we do not warn our customers with regards to late payments!!!!!! Why Vodafone is determined to change their procedure every minute? I have been advised there are e-mails and a letter. If Vodafone did not follow the right and fair procedure they could not blaim their customers and report their account as a defaulted one.