Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Defaulted Vodafone account on my credit file

marekk
2: Seeker

Hi,

I have recently applied for a mortgage and to my surprise the application was declined. Reason - credit check fail. The thing is that I have never missed a payment on anything and so my financial adviser told me to get my credit report from experian and find out what is causing the issue. What I discovered is that Vodafone recorded a default on my account that I believed has been closed in November 2012 (the default is for huge £14). The contract has run out at that time and so I contacted Vodafone and told them to close the account and that I'll be moving my number to O2 and so I did. As far as I was concerned my Vodafone account was settled. Vodafone never contacted my about the £14. If they did I would have paid it. Even if the payment was to be one month late it would not damage my credit profile. Is it even legal to default my account without some sort of communication to let me know? 

Straight after I got my credit report I called Vodafone and paid the £14 over the phone. (the account will soon show as settled but the default will stay) I asked them if I can get the default removed from my credit file and they couldn't tell me so they asked me to wait and that they will be in touch within 5 days. Yeah right... I called them again after 5 days and asked them to remove the default. I was told that it cannot be done because I did not pay my bill for 10 months. I was furious after the phone call. How can I pay for a bill that I dont know even existed?

I would really appriciate some help with this matter. I know that some people have been successful with getting the default removed.

459 REPLIES 459

carlah22
Hi
I also have similar problem and need some help advise.

carlah22
Is there an email address i can use to ask for my default to be removed. I had an a Wat I thought was 24 month contract . I moved address just before the contract ran out and obviously cancelled my dd after my last pmt. I wasn't aware that they hadn't cancelled the contract and the account was accruing debt until they cancelled it 4 months letter. I wasn't aware of this until lowells debt collector contacted me for 103 pounds 2 years later. I tried to get a mortgage and this debt even tho paid is still sat there. Wat can i do to get it removed

kids
Community Champion (Retired)
Community Champion (Retired)

@carlah22 You will need to speak to the Credit File Support Team on 191 as they are the only department that can authorise a credit marker to be removed.

But you need to be aware that as long as it was a genuine debt, irrespective whether you know of it or not, the best you can hope for is that the credit file will show the debt as "Settled". The actual flag will remain on your file for 6 years.

Contracts  do not cease when they reach the end of the contract period, they convert  to a rolling 30 day contract.

mhairi123
3: Seeker
Hi carlah22
If you look on this thread for a nice lady with a Vodaphone logo next to her name she will help. I got sent a PM and logged my query direct...I hope! Hope this helps
M

gareth4wave
4: Newbie
You logged it but has anything happened or heard back from them?

mhairi123
Nothing as yet. I'm glad this situation has been raised with the Government as it's an absolute disgrace that a company like this can ruine people's lives...what for £15. Makes me wish I had ran up £100,000's as you're punished exactly the same.

gareth4wave
4: Newbie
Hiya, where have you seen that it has been a issue raised to the government? And yeh it is disgraceful the power they have.

mhairi123
Hi Sarah,
No I haven't heard anything back yet. How long does this usually take?

Hi @mhairi123

Please could you provide me with your reference number so I can check this for you?

Thanks,

Viki

Good afternoon,

Vodafone have a placed a default on my credit file also from around 18 months ago.

I bought a new phone and sent it back within 7 days as the coverage was terrible where I lived. This was during the cooling off period and no chargres should have occured.

I was informed this week after getting a credit check done that they defaulted my account in December without any communication/warnings/letters/email/nothing for £17!!!!!

It is completely unacceptable and I have been struggling to get through to them to get it sorted out...