Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Defaulted Vodafone account on my credit file

marekk
2: Seeker

Hi,

I have recently applied for a mortgage and to my surprise the application was declined. Reason - credit check fail. The thing is that I have never missed a payment on anything and so my financial adviser told me to get my credit report from experian and find out what is causing the issue. What I discovered is that Vodafone recorded a default on my account that I believed has been closed in November 2012 (the default is for huge £14). The contract has run out at that time and so I contacted Vodafone and told them to close the account and that I'll be moving my number to O2 and so I did. As far as I was concerned my Vodafone account was settled. Vodafone never contacted my about the £14. If they did I would have paid it. Even if the payment was to be one month late it would not damage my credit profile. Is it even legal to default my account without some sort of communication to let me know? 

Straight after I got my credit report I called Vodafone and paid the £14 over the phone. (the account will soon show as settled but the default will stay) I asked them if I can get the default removed from my credit file and they couldn't tell me so they asked me to wait and that they will be in touch within 5 days. Yeah right... I called them again after 5 days and asked them to remove the default. I was told that it cannot be done because I did not pay my bill for 10 months. I was furious after the phone call. How can I pay for a bill that I dont know even existed?

I would really appriciate some help with this matter. I know that some people have been successful with getting the default removed.

459 REPLIES 459

Colleen
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@ljtc As we'll need to access your account, I've sent you a private message with details on how to get in touch with us regarding your query. 

Thank you have sent you a message.

Tash
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Thanks for letting us know @heidi102030.

I can confirm that the team have received your email (reference number #17433606) and will be in touch to discuss this further as soon as possible.

Thank you

I completely feel your pain Bryony.

I have been fobbed off by Vodaphone for weeks now after finally having to send them 2 recored delivery letters with my issue. For the past 3 weeks thay have called me and each time said I would have to wait yet another week for their final decision on my case. Each time it is a different person from their 'customer services' dept  

Before this happened I had a perfect credit score and now for the sake of £36 I have the worst rating possible according to Experian. 

As it is now 8 weeks since my first recored delivery letter, I have simply referred it to the Ombudsman.  My advise it to complain via their complaints team. Make sure you keep copies of everything. If they agree to something on the phone, make sure they send that agreement in writing to you via email. If you use the online help, then make sure you always make a copy of the transcript.  If you have no joy after the 8 weeks, then send all your evidence to the Ombudsman...

If I am successful then I'll let you know.

So finally I have had success at removing the default from my credit score. It took some patience, but I got there eventually and my perfect credit score has now been reinstated!.

If its any help to anyone here I did the following;

I sent a recorded delivery letter to vodaphone customer complaints ( kept a copy of course). They responded by phone and were unwilling to do anything. They kept passing the buck, saying they would escallate my issue and every week they would call me with the ususal 'we cannot help you' answer.

During this time I emailed each of the 3 main credit reference agencies and requested that they put a 'notice of correction' on my credit file next to the Vodaphone default record. This they all did. Experian were particularly helpful and assisited me in writing my correction notice using the right sort of wording. After 8 weeks of no action from Vodaphone, I went to the ombudsman. This was an easy process and you can track their progress online. The ombudman ruled in my favour and Vodaphone agreed to comply, and remove the default on my credit file. The ombudsman gave them 14 days to comply. I am pleased to say that after 10 days the 3 credit agencies have all changed the negative score. 

Phew

Juliet

Holliwaters110
Write to financial ombudsman - you have to give Vodafone 8 weeks first. Then if no luck, escalate.

Holliwaters110
Escalate to the ombudsman - best thing I ever did regarding my complaint. Don't waste any more time or energy with Vodafone - there's a reason they were fined 4.6 million. Hope you get it sorted.

ZULU007

I'm having this problem right now, Experian have a debt from 2012 still showing yet i can remeber paying it and when i asked customer services to check they said it doesnt exsist. So whats going on.

JPointon
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Seriously unhappy!

I have discovered that Vodaphone have incorrectly put a mark against my credit score, and I am trying to get this sorted before it affects my life anymore. It seems to be a nightmare and a long drawn out one at that!

I have contacted Vodaphone on numerous occasions via both email and phone to cancel my account last year, ( I have copies of the online help transcript and the email I sent wishing to close my account in November 2016 as proof) but aparently thay have simply been ignoring me. 

Today I find that Vodaphone have damaged my credit rating for the next 6 years all for the sum of £36.

I have no objection to paying any amount owed, but when I called them they told me my account was closed and they couldnt see anything owing?? 

Fuming!