Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Defaulted Vodafone account on my credit file

marekk
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi,

I have recently applied for a mortgage and to my surprise the application was declined. Reason - credit check fail. The thing is that I have never missed a payment on anything and so my financial adviser told me to get my credit report from experian and find out what is causing the issue. What I discovered is that Vodafone recorded a default on my account that I believed has been closed in November 2012 (the default is for huge £14). The contract has run out at that time and so I contacted Vodafone and told them to close the account and that I'll be moving my number to O2 and so I did. As far as I was concerned my Vodafone account was settled. Vodafone never contacted my about the £14. If they did I would have paid it. Even if the payment was to be one month late it would not damage my credit profile. Is it even legal to default my account without some sort of communication to let me know? 

Straight after I got my credit report I called Vodafone and paid the £14 over the phone. (the account will soon show as settled but the default will stay) I asked them if I can get the default removed from my credit file and they couldn't tell me so they asked me to wait and that they will be in touch within 5 days. Yeah right... I called them again after 5 days and asked them to remove the default. I was told that it cannot be done because I did not pay my bill for 10 months. I was furious after the phone call. How can I pay for a bill that I dont know even existed?

I would really appriciate some help with this matter. I know that some people have been successful with getting the default removed.

459 REPLIES 459

kids
Community Champion (Retired)
Community Champion (Retired)

@Faiz786 You could try sending a copy of the proof of payment you have from Vodafone to Experian and ask them to liase with Vodafone to update your file.

You may find that the credit files are only updated at the end of the month following the month of payment but it is worth asking Experian/

The file will then be marked as settled but the original entry will remain.

Hi

i have the same problem for a £10 balance I didn't know I owed. How did you get it resolved?

thanks

j

Rahim
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@Judiryan We can certainly look into this for you. 

I've sent you a private message with details on how to get in touch.

Hi Marek.  Is there any advice you can give me too?  I am in the same predicament and can't remortgage or get credit.  Many thanks  Heidi

Hi, 

I am in a similar situation. 

I have found out that I have a 22pound outstanding from over 18months ago which has affected my creditscore. I phoned Vodafone who told me that sold the debt to 'Lowell'. I phone Lowell and they have no record at all. I phone Experian who tell me that Vodafone haven't sold the debt as their system would show that. 

Feeling as though I am in limbo, you'd think one of the two would have details of this. 

Wondering if anyone can help me??? 

So confused... 

Hi,

I am having exactly the same issues as Marekk with Vodafone right now. After numerous amounts of phone calls and promises managers would be ringing me back in regards to this matter I have heard nothing back, months later.

Is there anybody that can help me with getting this default removed please?

Thanks,

Carl

Hi yes they promised to call me back and nothing.? What a joke.

Same problems here all over £19 which I was unaware of. Stays on your file for 6 years. Mine goes off in may this year luckily. But they don't even respond to messages etc, completely ignoring you. ##~## service.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Kaz i agree you do get ignored 

Hi TJ,

Is there someone I can speak to please in reagrds to the default on my account, as it was wrongly put on.

Thanks,

Carl