Skip to content
main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal
Menu Toggle

Welcome to Vodafone Community

Pay monthly

Defaulted Vodafone account on my credit file

SOLVED
View solved solution
3: Seeker

I have already done this: contacted the credit reference agency about this, then I have already spoken with Vodafone about 5 times on the phone about this but no response.

View more options
Hi marek well done in getting your default removed I have had the same problem but have had the default removed from the status part of the credit file which now says settled but have been told I still can not get a mortgage till this is changed to up to date and the default balance changed to zero have u managed to get this done yourself would luv to know how?
Thanks Andrea.
View more options
Community Champion (Retired)

Those people who have had a default marker removed were those where Vodafone made an error and placed the marker after they had sent a final bill showing a zero balance and a letter of closure.

Where there was an outstanding balance this has to be reflected on the monthly return made to the credi reference agency.  You can of course ask the credit agency to put a notice of correction on your file explaining why the debt to Vodaone came about.

View more options
2: Seeker

Your circumstances are similar to mine.

What frustrates me most is how Vodafone despite my years of royal custom were quick to put a default on my credit file without having duly informed me following what i thought was end of my contract which i didnt want to renew but appears to have been renewwed automatically and attracted some charges.

When i became aware of the debt after i visited my old house, I promptly paid it but only realised months later that the debt had already been put on my credit file as default.

I have tried contacting Vodafone hoping to resolve this situation which has affected me personally and spouse with whom I share a bank account. I'm now 43 and resigned to the fact that both and and spouse may never get a mortgage.  

I written letters to vodafone enclosed return stamps but never at any time have i received a response or acknowledgement. 

Very frustrated

View more options
17: Community Champion

@pazz

Did you cancel your contract when it reached the end of the minimum term?  Contracts don't end, its a minimum term contract and not a maximum term.

If you did not cancel, the contract would have continued to roll over on a month to month basis until you called Vodafone and made the cancellation request.

If you stopped paying, you would still have been in contract and liable for the monthly payments and when you stopped paying, Vodafone would have have reported against your credit file.

Unlike banks and credit card companies, mobile networks asre not covered by the same consumer credit act and are under no obligation to inform before reporting.

Vodafone would have still sent email notifications of the monthly line rental bill and tried to make contact by calling to remind you that there was an outstanding amount.

View more options

@AnnS thanks

Yes i do not recall calling them to cancel the contract but certainly remember advising the change of my address which seems was never done.

What frustrates me is that VF despite my 4 years of loyalty didnt think twice about putting the notice on my file. The debt when i found out i paid immediately. I have tried contacting them countless times but never get any response.

For life changing actions, i believe VF could be more understanding especially to loyal customers. There was a clear break in communication and i admit i could have done things differently but equally, had vodafone effected the address changes, i could have received notification and settled my account which i did settle but maybe a bit too late.

My royalty over the years coupled with the break in communication which is not entirely my fault should be taken into account by VF.

Thanks all the same for your response.

View more options
1: Seeker

Hi,

I have very recently become aware of a over 4 year old defaulted account with Vodafone for £44 as I was applying for a mortgage.  Immediately I contacted you and paid for the balance, however you still have not update my records to display the account as settled!  it has been well over 3 weeks since I paid the balance so please let me know how to update the records.

Best Regards,

Fernando

View more options
Community Champion (Retired)

Only Collections on 191 can authorise the removal of a marker on your credit file.

Once that has been authorised to the relevant credit reference agencies it can take up to 90 days for the removal to be actioned and the file marked as settled.

Although paid the debt will still appear as a settled account for up to six years on your credit file.

View more options
Exactly the same thing has happened to me, although my debt was already settled! Its been going on for over 2 years now! I terminated my contract early and paid the cancellation fee, around a year later they told me they had taken me to a debt collection agency (fredricksons) over the cancellation fee. managed to get them to do an investigation and they admitted it was a mistake on their behalf and they said they had credited the £135 back in march, not had a single letter or anything informing me i owe them money! Went to start my mortgage application this week and thought id better check my credit score and saw that i have a default on my account because i owe vodafone £135! Rang them 3 days ago and the woman said i dont owe them anything and my credit score would be ammended but it hasnt and ive spent 4 hours today ringing vodafone with them telling me i owe them the money and theres nothing i can do! Im completely lost with what move to take next! Any help would be appreciated but at the moment its looking bleak and is also looking like im going to lose the property me and my partner have reserved!
View more options
2 days have passed and still no one has been in contact, just got off the phone and they say they never admitted it was their fault, they never credited the debt collection, they will take 35 off my outstanding balance and i only owe 100, i never had any contact with vodafone after they told me they had credited my account in march yet my default was placed in may? Interested to know how others have had their default removed as their refusing to take mine off, how do i pay a bill ive already been told is settled? Been to ofcom but unsure what to do next?
View more options

Hi.how are you.i am.in the same boat i owed Vodafone 460.pound.i didn't pay it off for couple months which then they sent me a notice to pay it.i payed.it.off last week and.i still have default on my credit file i am.only 25 years.old i am looking to get a morgage as well this situation has really stressed me out i don't know what to doo...

View more options

Faiz786 wrote:

Hi.how are you.i am.in the same boat i owed Vodafone 460.pound.i didn't pay it off for couple months which then they sent me a notice to pay it.i payed.it.off last week and.i still have default on my credit file i am.only 25 years.old i am looking to get a morgage as well this situation has really stressed me out i don't know what to doo...

You need to ask yourself whether or not you owed the money and paid it off late.  If the answer is yes, it will be a genuine default and just because you have settled the debt, does not mean the default will be removed.

It was a genuine default, and as a warning to your other creditors on how you handle your affairs, the default will remain in place for 6 years with the debt now being marked as settled on your credit file.

@Faiz786

If you have only just paid this amount, it can take a while for your credit file to be update to show as settled.

The best thing to do is to contact Experian.  They are there to give help and advise.

View more options

I have recently have had my mortgage declined due Vodafone putting a default on my credit file...ok it was my mistake of not paying the bill I was unemployed at the time as well but I have paid the bill of on the 9th January of £436 pound but still shows on experiann I owe vodaphone this amount.i can't sleep this has taken over my life Stressed out...when I call customer services I get transferred from department to department it's so un professional how they communicate with customers...this problem I have as really affected me and my family 

View more options

Ok will do...I have paid off the debt...it was my own fault I have myself to blame I have messed up own future now..no chance of a mortgage...why did I take out a sim only deal..Smiley Sad This default on my account will be the major problem now

View more options

Account started 03/06/2014 Default Date 10/12/2015 Default Balance £436

View more options

I have been told by Vodafone that because of a purely technical issue that was entire due to an issue on their side my monthly bill payments  did not go through for 2 consecutive months despite my bank account details were correct. As I kept calling them to ensure they could process the payment I have been told not to worry about the credit score as the vodafone credit file team was aware of the technical issue with the payments, which affected also many other customers. And I have been reassured - in all of the 10 calls I made to Vodafone - it would never show as a late payment from my side is it was 100% their technical mistake.

I checked my credit score 2 months later - January 2016 - and it shows that there has been a late payment. 

Is Vodafone willing to fix a mistake that has such heavy consequences? I believe one thing is bad customer service, but a very different issue is preventing people from being able to get a mortgage.

View more options

Totally agree very bad customer service I have sent a payment also 2 weeks ago I keep getting transferred department to department I have decided to pop into a store see if they can sort this out but the customer service on the phone is shambolic

View more options

Well what can I say I have been chasing Vodafone over 2 months now regarding this problem phoning them up then getting transferred department to department then I have poped in to my local vodaphone store to show proof of payment on 9th January 2016 which they have left notes on my account saying proof of payment seen..but still today on experiaan I check VODAFONE Multi Communications Default £436 10/01/2016 This account has been defaulted...VODAPHONE RUINS PEOPLES LIFES😰

View more options

I have contacted pay monthly pay as u go...still nothing I need the credit file support team to update this butt no department seems to want to help....for gods sake ok it was my fault for paying late but I have paid now let me live in peace....update my credit score.....VODAPHONE RUINS LIFES PEOPLE 

View more options

Hi, you need to call 191 and ask for the collections team, Monday to Friday normal business hours.

However you say you were late paying so the default can only be marked as settled and will remain on your credit account for 6 years.

View more options