Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Early upgrade

JOHNBARRATT1995
4: Newbie

Hi there I currently have 6months till my upgrade which is my early upgrade and I am looking to move to a cheapest deal is there any way I can upgrade now and add the remaining 6months to my new sim only deal? Many thanks John 

15 REPLIES 15

jeffkinn
17: Community Champion

If your early upgrade is six months away that means the contract end of probably eight months in the future. There are Ofcom rules about contract lengths and networks normally stick to the early upgrade dates. If you upgraded now to a new 12 month sim only contract you'd end up with a 20 month contract. Is your current arrangement sim only or does it include a handset?

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

My early upgrade date is the 31st of December 2017

And the contract expiry date is the 16th of March 2018 

So I can't just add the remaining months on to the sim only contract?

Many thanks John 

AnnS

Hi @JOHNBARRATT1995 

You can't  change to SIM only from a full contract until you are out of contract. 

But will I be able to when I can upgrade on the 31st of December?

jeffkinn
Oh yes. When you are in the upgrade period you can choose whatever cheap sim only plan you like.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

AnnS

Hi @JOHNBARRATT1995

As mentioned not until you are out  of contract.

Vodafone  used to allow  changing to SIM  only  in upgrade  period but it no longer  allowed.  Presumably to stop customers paying  less for  a contract for  the last  two months

Ah ok that's great😊 so if I give Vodafone a call on the 31st of December 2017 they will quite happily swap me to a cheaper SIM only contract P.S do you think they will be able to do me a deal for £5 a month if I agree to a 12 month contract?

Many thanks John

jeffkinn
The lowest cost deal at the moment is £9.50. It's highly unlikely you'll get anything as low as £5.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

AnnS

@JOHNBARRATT1995

No Vodafone won't let you change to SIM only until you are out  of contract.   Vodafone  stopped being able  to change to SIM  only until the end of  contract for handset voice customers who took out a contract with a tariff.