Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Firmware update - issues with Philips Hue Bridge

nyfc
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

My router updated automatically to 5.4.8.1.291.1.30.1.6 at some point in the last couple of weeks and ever since then my Philips Hue Bridge has not been able to connect to the internet.  This means I can't control the lights remotely and cannot use the geolocation or link to IFTT.  

I've tried port forwarding directly to the bridge and turning off the firewall.  Neither have had any effect.  I have two Hue Bridges and neither connects any longer, both have a flashing third light on the bridge showing they are unable to connect to the internet.

Has anyone else experienced similar?

68 REPLIES 68

Nabs
17: Community Champion

@mw2871 sorry to hear you're also affected by this.

Vodafone is unable to send you steps to fix this as they don't actually have any. The instructions being sent out will be for how to contact the broadband team so they can look into the issue. If you sit tight I'm sure one of the team can arrange this for you.

In the immediate term, it seems that the only workaround is to expose your Hue system to a 3rd party proxy which, whilst it appears to work, is going to do nothing for the security of your Hue system and could leave yourself open to attack.

I'm having the same problems too. My son suggested logging onto the internet using a free vpn which enables me to see the hub online on the 'my meethue.com' page but this isn't going to help me to control my lights from outside the home. I haven't enough knowledge to know  how to use the workarounds that people have posted - not without making things worse! Please will someone at Vodafone sort this. I've still 6 months of my contract left and with their lack of support for more than a handful of wifi devices I'm already counting the days! 

Ok so I've got another working solution without using a proxy.

My bridge is set to NOT use DHCP but I don't believe that should matter.

Proxy is not enabled.

On the Vodafone site, add the following to the Allowed list in the content control:

• meethue.com
  • dcp.cpp.philips.com (I imagine adding philips.com will probably work too)

As my content control is set to Off, I've had to set it to Custom (without anything enabled) to get access to these allowed/block lists.

It appears that Vodafone is blocking the sites, yet they aren't categorised. Could we get some feedback on this?

Nabs

Great find @liam_bowers!
Are you able to post some screenshots of your content control setup? Could be handy for other users.

Go to Manage content controls as shown:

Manage Content Controls

Click Manage Content profile and set to Custom (if appropriate). Press save.

Content Profile

Add the following to the Allowed list (from the Manage Blocked and Allowed Lists in the previous menu):

• meethue.com
  • dcp.cpp.phillips.com

Click Save

Blocked and Allowed Lists

Give it a few minutes and it should start working. If you're on the same network connection then you can go to: https://www.meethue.com/api/nupnp in your browser. If you can see a few lines of details (rather than an empty '[ ]' )then it's basically confirming that it can talk to the Philips servers. 

i tried this latest suggestion to add the sites to the allowed list, didnt work for me.

So I called the broadband support line (initially to change content filter to custom as website wouldnt let me for some reason), and they said they could rollback my router to the previous firmware version. Took about 15/20 minutes for the rollback to get initiated on my router and as soon as it rebooted it had sorted the problem immediately. 

I have now been able to register the bridge on the Hue site (my lights were only purchased the same time the problem firmware update was rolled out) and control over mobile data network.

All good now, until the router decides to automatically udpate its firmware....

Unfortunately setting the content controls did not work for me either.

I PMed a VF member of staff asking for them to send me the workaround and got the following helpful reply:

"Due to the amount of queries we receive on the eForum, we’re unable to respond to PM’s."

Ironic seing as they only seem to be communicating about this issue via PMs.

Thanks Vodafone!

Nabs

@mw2871 if you sit tight one fo the team will be able to PM you with the contact instructions. :smileyhappy:

Just spoke to web chat and got this response:

"Daniel:

Having just checked with one of my  colleagues there, our tech team and Phillips tech team are currently working together to work towards a solution for this issue. We have no update at the moment unfortunately. However we hope to get the issues resolved soon."

This is good news, hoperfully we will all get a permenant solution to this problem.

We should not have to be making all these changes to our set up to make our Hue lights work correctly.

My configuration worked perfectly on BT with my own Netgear router....