Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Global Roaming: Calls charges

alal
4: Newbie

Hi,

I am going to travel to Portugal and would like to know if someone can tell me how much will I be charged if I call a Portuguese landline or mobile number.

Information on the vodafone webpage states: "Unlike other operators, we’ll let you make calls to local mobiles and landlines in our 50 Roam-free destinations with no additional charge"

I called customer service to confirm and they told me that it is the same price as being in UK and making a call to Portugal (£1.50/minute) but that doesn't really sound that right to me after what I read on Vodafone webpage.

Can someone with similar experience please confirm?

Official Vodafone statement also appreciated.

Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5

AnnS
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

@alal

You have global roaming, that means no roaming charges in an EU destination.  You are free to call Portuguese numbers without any further charge.

Global Roaming

donnyguy
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

The customer service agents are confused. They're quoting the prices for calling Portugal from the UK (so the international call prices that aren't regulated by the EU sadly).

As per the post above, calling Portuguese landlines and mobiles will come out of your inclusive minutes whilst roaming. In fact, if you have friends and family in Europe, calling them whilst on holiday is a good idea. You can also call other countries in the roam free zone (e.g. call Greece from Portugal) all because the roaming charges are regulated by the EU.

Once you're back in the UK, the standard charges for calling internationally will apply again.

Are you sure that's right? If in the UK you called a landline in another EU country you would be charged an international call rate (currently £1.50pm for Portugal) unless you subscribed to an international call inclusive package. So, as using your phone in the EU means you are not charged anythng extra for roaming surely you would pay the same £1.50pm as you would back home?

If I've misunderstood then I apologise but that's my reading of the no-roaming issue - it costs the same to use your phone in the EU as it does in the UK so if you pay to call a Portual number from the UK you pay the same rate to call a Portal number from any other EU country, even if you are in Portugal.

Samsung A52S 5G - SM-A528B/DS

Android Version - 12 One UI version 4.1

Last Update 19.4.22

Build- SP1A.210812.016/A528BXXS1CVD1

Baseband- A528BXXUiCVC4
Nova Launcher. Chrome browser.

My phone history (back to 1997!):

Huawei P30, P20, VF Smart V8, Note 4, S4, S2, Tocco Ultra, F490, P300, E250, RAZR v3, Timeport 250, A300, Star-Tac 

I promise you... your inclusive minutes can be used to call standard numbers in Portual (or anywhere else in the Roam Free zone). 

It's part of the regulations.

But.... once you're back in the UK, standard rates apply again for international calls.

I regularly travel and call numbers across Europe and they're inclusive.

Yes Donny you are right - if the OP checks on this link https://www.vodafone.co.uk/explore/costs/travelling-abroad/

and chooses travelling to Portugal and then making calls to Portugal (or indeed any other EU country) it shows as being inclusive.

Samsung A52S 5G - SM-A528B/DS

Android Version - 12 One UI version 4.1

Last Update 19.4.22

Build- SP1A.210812.016/A528BXXS1CVD1

Baseband- A528BXXUiCVC4
Nova Launcher. Chrome browser.

My phone history (back to 1997!):

Huawei P30, P20, VF Smart V8, Note 4, S4, S2, Tocco Ultra, F490, P300, E250, RAZR v3, Timeport 250, A300, Star-Tac