cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Is tethering on monthly SIM only plan standard?

warrior
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi,

I've been with Vodafone for over 15 years and I can never seem to find out the tethering policy they have.

I've just extended my SIM only contract 8GB / unlimited mins / unlimited txts. Is tethering standard across ALL packages or certain ones? Does it have it's own quota or does it use up the 8GB allocated to the phone?

I wish they would make this clear in the package details as everything else is fairly well described apart from this. I'm sure there are a load of people out there that use tethering so it should be made clear from the start.

Appreciate any help.

5 REPLIES 5

AnnS
17: Community Champion

Hi @warrior

You are free to use your data allowance as you wish and this includes tethering or using your phone as a personal hotspot.  There is further information on this below.

How much does it cost to share my data connection through a personal hotspot or tethering?

You will need to ask Vodafone to make sure tethering is provisioned on your account.

Many thanks for your quick response and confirmation. At least I know I won't be running up extra bills whilst tethering.

Thanks!

BandOfBrothers

Hi @warrior

Do please take into consideration that tethering can use a data allowance much faster because ie a laptop accesses rich online pages etc and updates on these devices can be large. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Thanks for the warning.

DaneB
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@warrior

Thanks for your enquiry.

The information given by both @BandOfBrothers and @AnnS are correct.

If you choose to tether your data, this will come out of your data allowance.

We'd advise that you check that your data cap is turned on, this will ensure that you won't exceed your allowance and incur extra charges. 

You can check your data cap status on your My Vodafone online account. 

We hope this helps.