Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

No 4G in Spain

bamboozled
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi,

I'm using an iPhone 7 in Spain but don't have 4G connectivity where I am staying. I'm with a friend who owns a Samsung Galaxy S7, and is effectively on the same contract as me (Vodafone 4G in the UK). He's getting consistent speed of 100Mbps+ and indicating "4G+", whereas I am limited to 3G and 8Mbps or so. My 3G connection is also unreliable, will drop calls, and I frequently have to toggle my phone in and out of airplane mode to resume data usage.

My phone works fine in the UK and I have no problems with 4G there. I have checked bars, toggled them off and on.

Same location, same network, same contract, different phone (but mine is newer)

Any ideas what's going on?

7 REPLIES 7

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Hi @bamboozled

As a process of elimination to rule out the phone or sim card/ account that maybe at issue can you try your sim in your friends phone and their sim in yours. 

To add there has also been a few recent posts concerning 4G connection whilst roaming abroad so the Social Media Team here are aware of the issue and will be reporting this feedback. 

To add I've seen past posts where a group are on holiday together with people acquiring different levels of connection which can be attributed to their Vodafone Uk account.

Other variables do exist as to where Vodafone UK cannot guarantee connection / data speed when a person is out of the UK and roaming on a foreign network they have no control over. 

Please try choosing a different network and if necessary then switch back to your original foreign network. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Swapped SIM cards and I have 4G immediately

Alex
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@bamboozled Can you please confirm:

- When you entered your SIM card into another device, did this fix the 4G issue?
- When you entered your friends SIM into your device, did this continue to work on 4G?

My SIM card in my friends phone = 3G

My friend's SIM card in my phone = 4G

Alex
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Great thanks @bamboozled :smileyhappy:

So by process of elimination it would look like this issue is related to your account, rather than the SIM card/device.

We'd be happy to look into this for you, please contact us using the information in the private message I've sent.

Hi @Alex, I had a similar issue a few weeks ago when I was in Spain with my iPhone 6S, and it's happened when I was in Spain previously too:

I have my phone set to roaming enabled, with 4G as a preference, and no bars are on my account.   

When I arrive in Spain, I see the phone searching, then it selects 4G then a split-second later, it goes to No Service. Then a few seconds later, it tries 4G again an a split-second later, goes to No Service.  This carries on for a while until sometimes it stops on 3G, sometimes it stops on No Service.  This has happened the last 3 times I've been to Spain over the last year.

If I set it to 3G preference mode, it's absolutley fine - selects 3G and stays on it, no problem.

If this sounds similar to the symptoms others have been reporting and you've been able to correct them by doing something on their Vodafone UK account, could you please take a look at my account and do the same thing?  I'm going to Spain again for work in 2 weeks time so would be great to have 4G working!

Thanks@

John
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@colinmair So we can take a look into this further for you, I've contacted you via private message with details on how to get in touch.