Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Number port - should I be worried?

donnyguy
16: Advanced member

Hi guys, 

So today was the day I migrated my phone number back to Vodafone after 2 months elsewhere.

Here's what seems to be happening at the moment.

1. My old service provider SIM is active and I can make outgoing calls.

2. If anyone calls my number from that particular network, my phone rings.

3. If anyone calls my number from any other network (inc. landlines), you hear the Vodafone switched off message

4. Having put the VF sim into my phone, all incoming text messages are routed there now.

5. I can make outgoing calls on my new SIM as well

6. I don't have data on my VF sim. 

I'm not overly worried as I have the Vodafone sim in my main phone hooked up to wi-fi as well as my old sim in a spare iPhone so all bases are covered.

I'm just curious if I need to be contacting anyone or will this rectify itself? Could it be still in progress or do we assume at 18:30 that something has gone wrong?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

donnyguy

Hi Natasha,

Thanks for the offer of assistance on this one. I just kept making calls till someone owned my issue and I finally got working service shortly after 17:00 last night.

What helped me out is my previous provider were quite forthcoming with information relating to this issue (as they weren't at fault) so I was able to understand what information they'd been asking from Vodafone for the previous three days and the dates/times of emails that were going unanswered by the Vodafone team.

However... someone in the porting team at Vodafone did take ownership of this, got to the bottom of the issue (turns out Vodafone hadn't relised they were the original supplier of then number so therefore needed to supply a data file to confirm the number was OK to move) and then worked with the other network to fix it.

From a customer point of view, the guy was a star and I'll be sending feedback but the sadly, if I hadn't have had assitance from the network I was leaving (who as part of the agreed process are meant to refer the customer to the gaining network for assistance), then I would never have been able to undestand who was at fault in order to get this resolved.

But it's resolved, we're all good.

View solution in original position

5 REPLIES 5

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Hi,

This link may help > http://support.vodafone.co.uk/Getting-started-and-upgrading/Keep-my-number/38902676/What-happens-on-...

Sometimes turning the phone Off and On to refresh network connection can help. 

If if not then Customer Services on 191 or Live Chat can check and if necessary escalate to their Porting Teams as a potential Split Port which is where not all the files have completed properly. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

So twenty four hours later and we're a little further forward on this issue.

We still have two live sim cards, both can make outgoing calls and my incoming calls are directed to the different sims depending on what network the call is originating from.

The good news is, the data service has started working on my Vodafone sim.

I called my old provider last nigh about this and they directed me to my new provider (Vodafone).

Call 1

I called 191, got routed to South Africa. I explained the situation and asked to speak to the number porting team. Was placed on a long long hold before eventually being transferred to an automated message saying the department is closed.

Today from work, I call again. Call 2

I call 191, got routed to South Africa, asked to speak to the number port team. On hold for 5 minutes before being dropped into a queue for corporate security. For fraud press 1.

I call again, call 3

I call 191, got routed to South Africa to someone who didn't understand me. I explained the situaion. She didn't understand. I explained again, she didn't understand. I asked to speak to the number port team, she put me on hold. Came back and was having a conversation with a colleague who asked me for a PAC. I explained I ported in yesterday and it wasn't working. She eventually transfers me to Shaun in the UK. I explain again, he tells me my number ported in sucessfully. I explain again my issues. He tells me again, it was sucessful. I ask how can we consider it sucessful when it's clearly split. He then agrees and says he'll send an email to my old provider. It'll take 3 days. I explain that OFCOM require a one day lead time on number ports, it's not acceptable to get it wrong and then tell me it'll take another 3 days to fix. He tells me thats how things are. Ask for a direct contact number for the number porting team. He tells me to call 191. I explain that if he knew the trouble I had getting through then he wouldn't suggest that as a solution. He eventually gives me his managers email address (at my request).

Meanwhile, still with two sims, two lots of service and my old provider is going to bill me for another month tomorrow. Thanks Vodafone - so happy to be back 🙂

donnyguy

Just to keep this thread updated. The person in the porting team who offered her email as a contact point hasn't responded to the two emails I sent today.

My previous provider actually gave me a full update on what Vodafone was not doing correctly at their end to close offf the port.

I called Vodafone, got passed around to three people before going to the porting team who told me everything was fine and I ported in two days ago. Obviously it's not fine. I gave her the references from the emails between my previous supplier and them (my previous supplier are the ones being helpful whereas the gaining provider is meant to be the one keeping the customer in the loop).

Ultimately, I've put it on record that they have until noon tomorrow to fix this. If they don't then I'll take a PAC and leave. 

I don't have the time or the patience for 12 months of this sub-standard customers service. I came back on the theory that new account, new start. If things are set up right then I'll have no need to speak to anyone.

Tash
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@donnyguy I'm sorry to hear that this is ongoing and that you've not received an update.

We'd like to get to the bottom of this for you. I've sent you a private message with details to contact our team directly.

donnyguy

Hi Natasha,

Thanks for the offer of assistance on this one. I just kept making calls till someone owned my issue and I finally got working service shortly after 17:00 last night.

What helped me out is my previous provider were quite forthcoming with information relating to this issue (as they weren't at fault) so I was able to understand what information they'd been asking from Vodafone for the previous three days and the dates/times of emails that were going unanswered by the Vodafone team.

However... someone in the porting team at Vodafone did take ownership of this, got to the bottom of the issue (turns out Vodafone hadn't relised they were the original supplier of then number so therefore needed to supply a data file to confirm the number was OK to move) and then worked with the other network to fix it.

From a customer point of view, the guy was a star and I'll be sending feedback but the sadly, if I hadn't have had assitance from the network I was leaving (who as part of the agreed process are meant to refer the customer to the gaining network for assistance), then I would never have been able to undestand who was at fault in order to get this resolved.

But it's resolved, we're all good.