Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

PPPoE username & password

Alienxists
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hello,

I am currently using the vodafone connect router but wanted to change it for another model.

In order to configure the dsl it need the PPPoE username password. I contacted vodafone via chat but the chap told me that they cannot provide it because it is in their t&cs to use vodafone router only. However, I went on the t&cs as well and there's no mention that I cannot use another router.

From section 6.12

You agree only to connect equipment to our network which bears the European Consumer Equipment Standards “CE” mark, and agree not to connect any equipment which may harm our network or any of our other customers.

That said, the router that i want to use is the Draytek Vigor 2860VN and it is CE certified.

Can anyone shed some light on this or it there any department that i can contact to get more details?

65 REPLIES 65

I have just started the process of moving my BT Infinity service to the Fibre+ VF service, although I have also just found out that VF will not give out the PPPoE connection details. 

I am flat out not using the supplied router. I work in IT Infrastructure, and the supplied router does not allow me to control more advanced features that i currently can with my ac68u (iptables, entware etc)

I have until 12th to either hack the router that VF supply (which i have started,) or i will be cancelling my migration. This is outragous and makes me very angry, so much so that i will also move the 2 phone contracts away from VF because its simply not good enough, I shouldbe be tied to using the supplied router, when many forum posts across the internet say its not fit for purpose.

Goodbye vodafone.

hrym
17: Community Champion

It may be that Vodafone broadband in its current form isn't for you.  As I said above, I don't think they're the only provider to insist you use their router.   The service is at present really only intended for domestic use and limiting the hardware makes for straightforward setup and support.

i appreciate your input hrym, however your post is not very helpful. I'd acutally like to talk to someone whos a lot more technical than the mods/helpers of the forum to explain in detail why they withhold this information from advanced users like myself. its doesnt even technically state in the T&C's that you cant use yuor own eqeuipment, i think it just states that it must be CE marked, and no support will be given for it. 

Im not asking for support Vodafone. Im simply asking for a VLAN ID, and pppoe username and password. which im guessing is a combo of the serial number and maybe the mac address, which im slowly trying to figure out myself.

@john014 - For more information on this please see our statement.

Charles, again not a helpful comment. i already know how bad the VF supplied hardware is, and the fact they couldnt even get the UPNP implemented properly. which is exactly the reason i wanted to use my own router that is CE marked, from a reputable company, and reliable, and if something doesnt quite work properly on it, guess what?? i can even fix it myself, because its not a locked down POS.

Yes ive been on chat for the last hour, spoken to 3 agents who said they could provide me with the login details, then provided me with "admin" "password" to login!!!! 

Ive just cancelled my order, and will be moving my mobile contracts away from VF sharpish, thanks for wasting my time VF.

Totally agree with you mate. Funny how even employees at VF don't even know what they do have in their T&Cs. I spent hours on the phone as well with them and each of them contradicting each other and in the end all of them just said "sorry but we can't give those details to you'' because it's mentioned in the T&Cs. when you ask them to show you where, again they dont have any clue. I guess i's a  good case to raise with the communication ombudsman

hrym

Go to Customer Service, click the Broadband tile and wait for Live Chat to become available (it takes a moment to connect but was available when I checked just now).

If the information is available, they should be able to help you, but I think that non-Vodafone hardware isn't supported at the moment and what you want may not be supplied.  You can only ask, though.

Sorry if you didn't find my post helpful, but I'm just trying to relay the facts as I understand them.

Pretty much Sky are the only other provider who insist on their own router and they've been hacked now so tech savvy people can get around it. That leaves Vodafone as the only mainstream provider insisting on this.

They've really shot themselves in the foot because you can't use your own router yet the supplied router is quite possibly the worst bit of kit I've ever had the mis fortune to use. There's no rhyme nor reason as to why some relatively advanced options are available and yet basic configuration is not possible. Throw into the mix that it's woefully under powered for the number of devices a typical family might be using and it's just so infuriating. The firmware is riddled with bugs that take an age to get resolved - the latest issue, of which there was an announcement mentioned earlier in this thread, was acknowledged nearly two months ago with no sign of a revision available.

Has anyone tried to put a packet analyzer and captured what is happening during the boot up and during DHCP discovery. My wife has been offered a good deal on fibre but the having to use the supplied router is a show stopper.

No as far as I'm aware no one has tried successfully to do a wireshark trace or the like.