Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

PPPoE username & password

Alienxists
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hello,

I am currently using the vodafone connect router but wanted to change it for another model.

In order to configure the dsl it need the PPPoE username password. I contacted vodafone via chat but the chap told me that they cannot provide it because it is in their t&cs to use vodafone router only. However, I went on the t&cs as well and there's no mention that I cannot use another router.

From section 6.12

You agree only to connect equipment to our network which bears the European Consumer Equipment Standards “CE” mark, and agree not to connect any equipment which may harm our network or any of our other customers.

That said, the router that i want to use is the Draytek Vigor 2860VN and it is CE certified.

Can anyone shed some light on this or it there any department that i can contact to get more details?

65 REPLIES 65

Unfortuantly thats the New Zealand connection details so probably won't work... 

Ironically i think the actual router hardware isn't too bad, its the shocking firmware they've commisioned thats the problem.

It sounds like if you persist in hasseling the poor support / staff you may be able to get the connection details.

I appreciate that they can't offer tech support ofr non-standard routers/modems but surely all you need to do as step one in troubleshooting is plug the supplied router in...

I was provided with my username and password at the weekend.  I asked to make a formal complait about managements decision not to provide this and how it was causing me issues that their router could not resolve.  

I was transferred to top level complaints who took 10 minutes to get my password for me.  

Sorted.

Signed up, activation date 17th January - at what point can I get my username and password - do I actually have to connect the Vodafone provided router or can I just get it now - and then just update my own router on the day?

@jroadley

You're very very unlikely to be given the username and password. I would strongly recommend you cancel and go elsewhere. @Paul_NI's case is probably just a fluke. There are many many people on these boards desperate for their username and password and almost all of them are now being refused. A few weeks ago you could get them by jumping through a few hoops. Most people now are coming up against brick walls.

See this thread for more people's stories: http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Pay-monthly-products-services/Vodafone-connect-router-DHCP-settings/t...

after talking to second line support i've managed to get my details - I explained that i know what i'm doing (years of IT exerience) and would check that I could replicate any faults with the stock router :Smiling:

So i guess all i can say is persist and be reasonable people, you may get there in the end - remeber the support people have to do what they are told unfortunatly, but if you get the right one...

Well done you!

So, more Vodafone staff going against orders from management.

Good, because it leads to happy customers!

Paul_NI and its5am....

Would you mind using wireshark and trying to "reverse engineer" the login details for us?

Any help would be apprecaited!

Cheers

But the interface that you need to capture is the DSL side and not the Ethernet side. How can you connect your PC/laptop to the DSL side?

smallcheese
2: Seeker
2: Seeker
Those that have been provided their username and password could very likely give the rest of us a significant clue as to how to decipher their details.

I was sent 2 routers during ordering because my initial order was cancelled due to some issue with the Openreach system, so was sent a second one when my order was placed for the 2nd time. I was told to use the 2nd router and not the first, which may give an indication that the details are tied to the device.

It's highly that anything about your login details is personal since the routers will be shipped from a warehouse, so anyone who has their details can probably spill the beans for the rest of us.

It won't be very helpful.

username is dsl ********** at broadband dot vodafone dot co dot uk

The bit after dsl is a series of numbers which mean nothing to me.

The password is also a set of random numbers and letters 8 characters in length.  Both upper and lower case.