Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Rpi increase - no notice received.

Rs101
4: Newbie

Slightly miffed new customer here. I joined Vodafone in April (received my S8+ on the 21st April) and my billing date is the 20th of each month.

First bill was for the expected amount,  but the May one is for a higher figure. This appears to be the annual RPI based increase, even though the T&C say this should have applied from April onward.

Surely if the contract starts in April, it should already be at the 'new' amount?

Not sure how they can apply an increase without notifying me at all either - EE & o2 gave advanced notice of their annual changes.

I've also not received the £1 per day credit promised to me for the delays in porting my number in.

Not been the best welcome to a new provider...

9 REPLIES 9

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi @Rs101

A recent similar thread > Bizarre-Vodafone-Pricing-and-Support.

I'd suggest to contact Customer Services on 191 or Live Chat to discuss your concerns. 

Or let the Customer Support Team here catch up with your thread and I'm sure they'll help. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Thanks- I'll give it a day or two to see if they contact me on here.

The credit for the failed port appears to have arrived on the bill after all.

ChazzD
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@Rs101

It may have been that the date in April that you took the contract out was shortly before the RPI increase came into place.

We'll certainly be happy to have a look into this for you. Please speak to our Live Chat team so we can help. 

I foolishly called 191 to discuss this. The person told me that Vodafone are obligated by the English Government to increase prices each year and that my increase didn't happen in April because the Government were late publishing the increase! He also told me that I'm billed for airtime in arrears, not in advance, despite my bills clearly stating the future dates they cover.

Now holding for a supervisor....

Supervisor has agreed the first advisor was basically talking complete nonsense and is now connecting me to customer relations to see what can be done about this.

I'd think that as per the t&c, the April bill is the correct value to use for the 12 month period. So in my case, the RPI adjustment should be removed. So far they've offered to remove it to one month only.

I've also got the slight complication that the phone & contract was provided via Mobile Phones Direct who sent me the 2015 Vodafone T&C which don't allow any RPI increase.. I'm not expecting them to honour those, but it could cause issues if I insisted.

Hmm. Customer relations say just because the T&C says the increase will be applied to your April bill, doesn't mean the April bill will be higher... Interesting logic there. 

They agree I should have been notified and offered to credit the increase for one month only, but that's all they can offer.  They've​ now referred it for review and possible deadlock lettter. Next step is probably the Ombudsman unfortunately.  Hopefully they'll decide that removing this year's RPI increase completely is a sensible and cost effective solution (cost to them would be less than 1/10 of the Ombudsman fees).

jeffkinn

@Rs101 wrote:

I foolishly called 191 to discuss this. The person told me that Vodafone are obligated by the English Government to increase prices each year and that my increase didn't happen in April because the Government were late publishing the increase! He also told me that I'm billed for airtime in arrears, not in advance, despite my bills clearly stating the future dates they cover.

You were told what???????

Of all of the stupid things I've heard Customer Services tell people this has to be the stupidest by a very long way.

Quite astonishing.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

@jeffkinn wrote:

@Rs101 wrote:

You were told what???????

Of all of the stupid things I've heard Customer Services tell people this has to be the stupidest by a very long way.

Quite astonishing.

Yeah, I was astounded too... Customer Relations did apologise for that ...

Just to update - I've received a deadlock letter confirming it's down to the RPI increase and they can't do anything about it.

However, my subsequent bills (and online account) show my monthly amount being the pre-RPI amount. Confirmed today with CS that is the correct amount.