Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Text message charges on ipad

Lcc90
1: Seeker

Why do I keep getting charged for text messages on my data sim only Vodafone iPad?

5 REPLIES 5

jeffkinn
17: Community Champion

It might be something to do with iMessage that sends a text as part of the setup process. Have a look in the settings and make sure that the mobile number assigned to the data sim isn't being used for iMessage.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Thanks for the guidance. I can't see where it would show me this. I've looked under the mobile data settings, but iMessage isn't shown under the apps, so I've switched iMessage off in settings, which isn't really what I wanted to do. Do you know if there's a way to just enable it when I'm connected to wifi?

cheers

jeffkinn

I've never had an iPad with a sim card so I can't help with that I'm afraid.

I assume you don't recognise the number that the text is sent to.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

imessage sends using the apple id, so if i send a message via my ipad it does it through the iphone that i have that uses the same apple id. Its not possible on vodafone to send and recieve texts / imessage based on just that ipad / sim card alone.

Source : two ipads and iphone on same voda contract with same apple id.

AnnS

Hi @Lcc90

If you are sending text messages on your ipad, messages can only be sent as imessages.  Providing you are connected via WiFi or within your data allowance, imessages will be covered.

If you have connected to the network and have exceeded your monthly data allowance, you will be charged.

The way to avoid the charge is to check your remaining data allowance.  This can be done from the information below.

Support - Data Allowance Balance