Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Unable to join vodafone

syxtem
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

During the last week I've been trying to get a SIM only pay monthly contract with Vodafone with no luck.

I tried every possible way, first they said there was something wrong with the address the bank had (confirmed with the bank it was not true) and now over the phone the operator said that it is because I just came to UK.

I moved to UK one month ago, but I have a bank account, UK address, etc. I just find unbelievable that a person with a permanent job, bank account, etc. can't get something as simple as a mobile contract or home broadband.

I'm trying this as a last chance, otherwise I'll just go to any other company.

10 REPLIES 10

AnnS
17: Community Champion

Hi @syxtem

Your problem here is going to be insufficient UK credit history to base the credit check  criteria when you have only been in the UK for one month.

If you have failed the credit check, this is going to mean the search will be recorded on your file and you are going to need to wait three months before reapplying, this will give your credit file time to recover from the search.  If you have failed the credit check with Vodafone, it's likely you will rejected by other mobile companies.

If you contact Experian, you will be able to get a credit rating score and the company will be able to offer advise and support on how to improve your credit rating.

To prove you are living at the address,  if you are eligible and have not already registered, you need to get yourself on the electoral role.

Please take a look at PAYG, good value and no credit check.

Vodafone PAYG Big Value Bundles

I'm not sure if it is the credit check.

When I tried at the store they said it was a mismatch with the address, when I try online I just get a generic error at the end of the process, and finally over the phone the agent told me I can't do it because I just came to UK (which I don't know if it is true for Vodafone, but certainly it is not for other companies).

Honestly I'd be very surprised if it was the credit check, since I passed a credit check to rent an apartment and the mobile contract is a really small amount.

Using pay as you go is not an option, because I want to also get broadband for the apartment.

Tash
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi @syxtem, thanks for getting in touch with us.

As mentioned by @AnnS and @BandOfBrothers, it may be that the credit file check has failed. You'd be able to apply for a contract again after 90 days have passed. 

You can check your score as advised by @AnnS, for further confirmation and advice on this. 

Hi @Natasha,

I went to a different store and they confirmed it is the address.

I got a bank statement with the address and still they were unable to make it work.

Finally they gave up, so I don't know what to do. I'll try to change the address in the bank to a different format to see if that helps, but I'm really surprised that no one can solve this issue.

Any ideas?

Becca_P
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@syxtem

Thanks for keeping us updated with your issue.

Have you taken the advice given by @AnnS? This may give you with an insight to the cause of the problem.

If the cause is your address and after changing it this doesn't provide you with a resolution, please get back in touch.

Hi Becca_P,

I tried the credit check even though the guy at the store confirmed that was not the issue. They couldn't process it immediately and will contact me in a few days. Maybe they are also having problems with the address?

I changed the address but I'm still getting the same message when buying the sim only plan online.

I run out of ideas right now...

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

hrym

It might be worth checking that the credit reference people have the correct address.   I'm not convinced that contact would be made with your bank in the first instance and an Experian disrepancy would seem more likely.

Becca_P
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@syxtem

We'd advise waiting for the store to get in contact with an update on their check.

Once they've been in touch, let us know what they've said and we'll be happy to assist you further if needed.

I think I didnt explain it properly.

No credit check was done at the store, because they had a problem with the address and they couldnt solve it. They basically told me there was nothing they could do, even though I had a bank statement with the address (printed that same day).

I said I started a credit check, but what I meant is I started a credit rating score with Experian, following AnnS advice. They are the ones that asked me to wait a few days (didnt hear back from them yet). Anyway, the problem is the address, not the credit check.

Sorry about the misunderstanding, all this is so confusing to me.

It would be great if I had someone that personally checked the case. All I got is stores that give up after a few tries and customer service that just follow their script and, once it fails, send me somewhere else. I know it is a very rare situation, and possibly not related to vodafone at all, but there must be a way to find the reason why it fails, which I still dont know.