Skip to content
main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal
Menu Toggle

Welcome to Vodafone Community

Pay monthly

Upgraded my SIM only contract to a handset one after 3months

2: Seeker Bronze
Hi there I am due a handset upgrade on the 27th of May but my question is can this only be done Direct with Vodafone or can it also be done at Carphone Warehouse?
Many thanks Glenda
View more options
15 REPLIES
17: Community Champion

Hi @Glendabarratt20

You are free to upgrade through a third party, but make sure it is an upgrade they sell you, not a new line with a new number, it will complicate transferring your present number to the new contract. The commission received by a third party for selling a new contract is much more generous than selling an upgrade.

However, it won't do any harm contacting Vodafone and seeing what they can offer, they may be able to match the deal.

View more options
Just to let you know I'm actually looking to upgrade on the 10th of April as soon as you can pre order the new S8 do you think Vodafone would wave the upgrade fee and also match the upgrade deal's that Carphone Warehouse are doing? Many thanks Glenda
View more options

Hi @Glendabarratt20

That would be something only the upgrade sales team would be able to tell you.

It is always best to wait until you are out of contract to negotiate the best deal.

View more options
Ok I will just ask them and see what they say but I can't really wait until I am out of contract to get the best deal because that isn't until 28th of February next year and that is just so long.
View more options
But thanks so much for your help anyway@Anns
I really appreciate it ☺
View more options

Gosh, @Glendabarratt20.  When you posted, I thought April was your upgrade time.

If you have that long to go on your present contract, it will make it difficult upgrading through a third party or Vodafone.

Either way, unless you are in a SIM only contract and can take advantage of the flexible upgrade option direct with Vodafone, you are going to be asked to pay off what remains on your current contract.  This will leave you free to negotiate a new contract at a subsidised cost for the handset.

The other alternative is to buy the phone outright at your own expense, carry on using your present airtime contract and change to SIM only February next year saving money that way.

View more options
I don't think I made it clear I am on a SIM only contract with Vodafone and I will be using their flexible upgrade option after 3 months of being on the SIM only contract to upgrade to a new phone so does this mean I can only upgrade direct with Vodafone after all?
View more options
16: Advanced member Gold

Allowing to upgrade after 3 months, is a special deal in its own right.

The Early Termination fee of 9 months is waived. So chances are there Vodafone will not offer anything on top of that and if they do will be very minimal.

If you were looking to get the S8, then should have signed up to 30Day SIM and that would have allowed you to negoatiate a better deal.

Defintely do call them, but don't be disappointed if what they offer is not good.

View more options

Hi @Glendabarratt20

I am afraid so, the flexible upgrade is only to a Vodafone pay monthly phone bundle.

Please see below.

What are SIM only flexible upgrades?

When April comes, you can only ask but don't get your hopes up too high.

View more options
Ok no worries but I do have a question do I actually have to call them or would it be ok to upgrade on the chat?
Many thanks
Glenda
View more options

Hi @Glendabarratt20

I always think it's nice to speak to someone, you can discuss your options better in a conversation but it's entirely down to preference.

Flexible upgrades are quite a blessing, at least we can take out a 12 month SIM only and upgrade to a full contract after three months.

View more options
I prefer the live chat but what do you think will get me the best deal live chat or call?
Many thanks Glenda
View more options
I have another question have you ever upgraded over the live chat before?
View more options
16: Advanced member Gold

I usually upgrade using Live Chat. Once you connect to Live Chat, just ask "Just wanted to see my upgrade options"

You will be passed to the Upgrades Team and from then on depends on your negotiation ability to get a acceptable Deal.

As I said, don't get your hopes high as you might be not get what you are looking for.

View more options
I'm very good when it comes to negotiating a deal Lol.
Have you all ways got the deal you wanted when upgrading over the chat?
View more options