Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Upgrading.

missmoneypenny
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

I am able to upgrade from 2 days ago and was told by a Vodafone shop that I could do it through Carphone Warehouse if I wanted.  The shop knows I am a Red+ leader as I discussed my husband becoming a sharer when his contract ends in 3 months.  Just to make sure before I committed to anything I spoke with Vodafone Customer Service and they tell me I have to upgrade through them to keep this.  How strange because 2 years ago I upgraded through Carphone and about a year later started the Red+.  I believed upgrading through say Carphone meant I am in contract with Vodafone and not Carphone.  Does anyone know which is the truth and will I lose the Red+ service if I upgrade outside of Vodafone?  I pay my Direct Debit to Vodafone.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Can I ask what's drawing you to CPW ?

I would suggest talking to the Retentions Department via 191 who maybe able to offer you a good deal. 

If you open a contract with CPW then you do become a customer to them. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

View solution in original position

43 REPLIES 43

BandOfBrothers

Can I ask what's drawing you to CPW ?

I would suggest talking to the Retentions Department via 191 who maybe able to offer you a good deal. 

If you open a contract with CPW then you do become a customer to them. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Hi bandofbrothers1. The draw to CPW was their deals, so much cheaper than Vodafone. I feel Vodafone don't give the best deals to customers upgrading. In fact it's £15 more expensive with Vodafone for same deal.  I will however take on board your comments and the ones below.

jeffkinn

There are lots of reasons why dealers are cheaper than networks. The principal one is that they don't have to invest billions of pounds to build and maintain a network. They only have to finance some shops. 

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

jeffkinn

If you upgrade via CPW you are their customer and not Vodafone's. You pay Vodafone directly for the service they provide to you but that's st the request of CPW.

CPW tariffs are their own and not Vodafone's and thus you need to be very careful here or you may well lose some of the advantages of dealing directly with the network.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Thanks for your help. I was under the impression I was a Vodafone customer not CPW as I have previously upgraded with them 2 years ago and did get the Red+ deal.  I've never had any issues but welcome your comments. The reason I was choosing CPW was because they can offer a lot cheaper deals than Vodafone.

jeffkinn

If you haven't had an issues that's great.

To explain a little further, CPW is a wholly independent company and not an agent for the network. They create their own tariffs and buy their own phones  - that's why you are their customer and not the network's.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

I have upgraded in the past using Vodafone, Phones 4U and CPW yet Vodafone tell me I have been a customer of theirs since 2001.

I am due an upgrade in December and was intending to visit CPW as their one off upgrade cost for a 6S Plus is currently £50 cheaper than Vodafone although the contract is identical.

They may supply the handset but my contract & monthly bill is with Vodafone.

In fact my current phone was obtained through Phones4U almost 2 years ago yet recently I obtained Vodafone broadband and home phoneline at a preferential price because I was an existing Vodafone customer.

My advice to the OP is go to CPW and don't listen to the Jeffkin scaremongering in this thread.

jeffkinn

This is not a reflection of how the system works. CPW, (the now defunct) P4U and all of the other dealers are wholly independent companies. They act on their own behalf and they are not agents for any of the networks.

When you upgrade with an independent dealer you become their customer. The tariff may be the same as the network but it is their tariff and not the network's. The same is true of the handsets. They receive a commission from the network for each new connection they request and a small commission for each upgrade they process.

The customers of dealers also have a relationship with the networks as the dealers effectively sub contract the provision of the mobile service to the networks. But that service commences at the request of the dealer. 

Only when you take out a contract directly with a network are you their customer.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Jeffkinn, thanks for the reply.

As my last two years have been via Phones4U why is it Vodafone consider me a Vodafone customer in order to obtain preferential pricing on Vodafone Broadband and phone line?

My contract has always been with Vodafone and my Direct Debits have always been paid to Vodafone.

I am sorry but I believe your thinking is flawed and I will be going to CPW in 2 weeks time for my next upgrade and saving myself £50 too..