Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodafone Connect Router and Plex media server - cannot access remotely

Domx360
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hi,

I've recently switched to Vodafone Connect (Fibre).

Since the switch I cannot access my Plex server from outside of my network.

1. I've checked uPNP - its on
  2. I've checked the ports - the Plex server is listed
  3. I've added a manual port for forwarding -still does not work
  4. I've turned the firewall on / off - makes no difference

The only way I can access my Plex library is by exposing my main computers IP address to the internet by adding it to the 'static NAT/DMZ/Exposed Host' option.

I'm not sure this is the correct way to do this.  Isn't this exposing my whole IP / computer to the internet?

Regards

Dom

9 REPLIES 9

Becca_P
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@Domx360

We'll be happy to look into this for you. Please contact our Broadband team by calling 08080 034 515 or you can also speak to them via Live Chat.

Hi,

I called support and unfortunately I proved a little more technical for the chap to be able to help.  I was pointed to the portforwarding.com website, that is useful (and now bookmarked), but it also did not help.

My question boils down to a few fundementals.

Currently, the only way to access Plex remotely is to move my iMacs IP address to the DMZ - this is not really acceptable.

- UPNP is not automatically opening up the ports for Plex to work.

- Turning off the firewall makes no difference

- Port Management / Port Triggering on port 32400 is not working.

So, what is going on with this router?  I had no problems port forwarding with the BT Hub, or my Netgear R7000.

I also have a simlar issue accessing my Philips Hue lights from outside my network.

exactly the same issue here :Sad_face:

no resolve as of yet

Hi @markdotjames

I've replied to your other post here

Thanks,

richarduklon
2: Seeker

Hi,

I'm having the exact same issues when trying to reach from outside the network to my Plex server at home.  Set up all the port forwarding etc.  PC is plugged into the router.  only get an indirect connection from an android phone.  Also when scanning the public IP for the ports it doesn't see them as open.

garryberesford

Don't know if you managed to get this fixed.
I've literally just set up plex on the new router and tested it from my mobile over 4G while out travelling in the car and it connects fine. I run plex server on a NAS. 

When I went into the 'port management ', there were a wee bunch of ports already setup which I didn't do myself.

All I did was add a new UDP service with 32400 as both public and local ports. Here is a screenshot > https://pasteboard.co/GMdk4vJ.png

Im having the same issue. Ive followed every single online tutorial there is and it doesnt work. I also have issues with port formwarding for allowing SSH connections and Vodafone Tech team told me it was an 'advanced option that I was not allowed' but on this occasion they would tell me how to do it. It didnt work and left the vodafone tech team baffled.

Sounds like the routers are useless. Worked fine when I had Sky and Talk Talk. 

Voda can you please fix this issue ASAP

Thanks

TJ
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

@welshbryn Sorry to hear you've been having issues with your router.  I've sent you a private message with details on how to get in touch.

I have been experiencing problems with my home media server allowing remote access (Plex) for a couple of weeks now. Previously, all was working fine and, apart from some significant recent changes in my download/upload speeds on the Vodafone side, I haven't changed anything at my end.

Running "speedtest" by Ookla, it tells me my upload speeds are around 3MB/s, downloads 28MB/s (by the way, I was getting uploads of over 6 MB/s until mid-February, that was also the time I noticed my download speeds had increased from 18MB/s to what they are now). 

Checking some of my DSL stats, I find a very large number of upstream FEC corrections (see attached screenshot).

Can someone from Vodafone please suggest who I can contact to get this issue investigated? Calling the usual support line is absolutely useless as the people on the other end have no idea what they are talking about