Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodafone global roaming program

Marijnvb
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

It took me quite a while to figure this out, because the advertisements are very misleading I must say, but here is the following:

I just moved to the UK from the Netherlands, and purchased a new subscription with Vodafone, including the global roaming program, since I expect to be back in NL quite often, and make calls back NL while I'm here. Now I just found out that roaming is indeed free, but if you're in the UK and call to NL, you actually do get charged (a ridiculous amount of around GBP 1/minute from my perspective). Apparently this type of call does not count as roaming and is therefore not regulated, which is ridiculous from my perspective, because if you would be in NL, making a call with a UK number towards for example Spain would actually be free, whilst this is way more expensive for an operator. 

Other than me just complaining, I wanted to ask if there is a way around this. Could I for example just buy a NL subscription, and use it in the UK free of charge (whether I'm calling to UK numbers, NL numbers or whatever EU numbers) ?

Or would one expect this to be adjusted after June 2017, once the regulation kicks in?

Thanks in advance

23 REPLIES 23

jeffkinn
17: Community Champion

I agree - there are paradox's in the system but that's the way it works. If you can have two contracts in different countries that might work. But not many people would be able to do that. 

Vodafone UK won't give you a contract unless you have a UK bank account, UK address and can pass a UK credit check.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

QamarAhmed
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

You can simply purchase the Vodafone International Saver 100 for £3 per month or International Saver 500 for £7.50 per month (or indeed both). These will give you 100 or 500 minutes of international calls to 100 countries (NL included).  If you buy both you get 600 minutes.  

donnyguy
16: Advanced member

I can see the point the original poster is making. It blows my mind that using my phone in Europe means I can call anywhere within Europe and it be deemed as inclusive. The standard prices are high with most networks but there are bundles to ofset this. I really can't find fault with the new 100 and 500 minute bundles. They do exactly what they say on the tin. 

As for the new roaming rules that come into force next month, I think most networks (like Vodafone) will have measures in place to ensure they're not abused as even though roaming is free for the end user, the networks are still having to pay each other for using their networks.

But back to the original point, there was talk of international call charges within Europe being regulated but that never happened. 

I joined Vodafone late in April 2017 having been a lifelong O2 customer because of the new roaming rules. I was assured that the roaming was completely unrestricted. I could stay abroad all year if I wanted to using my minutes, texts and data.

On the posters main comment I have found for quite some time that when I was with 02 (prepay) and visited France my calls to U.K. were only 4p a minute but if I returned to UK making calls to U.K. or abroad, were massively more expensive. I think it has been like this with most operators for a while.

Back to Vodafone's new roaming regime it seems to me that they have not adjusted much in their backroom to reflect the new changes. On my first bill it referred to "free calls, texts and UK data" and when I connect to My Vodafone app on my phone it invites me to pay £3 a month for use in Europe ( or something similar).

Getafix

@Philealing wrote:

I joined Vodafone late in April 2017 having been a lifelong O2 customer because of the new roaming rules. I was assured that the roaming was completely unrestricted. I could stay abroad all year if I wanted to using my minutes, texts and data.

There is a 30 day restriction where you have to connect back to home Network.

Getafix

Sorry, the 30 day Restriction has been removed and replaced with this. 

Is there a fair usage policy?

Yes. Roam-free is intended for periodic travel. It isn’t meant for users roaming on a semi-permanent or permanent basis

We’ll send you a text requesting you moderate your usage in our Roam-free destinations if you use them for a total of 2 months or more during any 4-month period. If your usage in any of our Roam-free destinations continues to exceed this allowance after a 2-week period from which you first received this text, we may charge you for further use or bar your roaming services. We’ll always let you know before we do this.

Well I hope that is not the case. As I explained to the person in the Vodafone shop,  I chose Vodafone over Three for the very reason that Free imposed a time restriction on how long you can stay abroad. The reply was "With us you can stay abroad all year if you want".

I suppose I will have to enter into another of those time-consuming Online Chats to get to the bottom of it.

jeffkinn

It will be the case. @Getafix has correctly pointed you to the relevant clauses in the terms and conditions. The person is the store that told you that you could stay overseas indefinitely was speaking out of turn.

If you are overseas due to business reasons there are special provisions that can be found here

http://www.vodafone.co.uk/business/solutions/working-abroad/business-traveller/index.htm

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Well I have just had a Live Chat with someone at Vodafone where I quoted your extract.

I was assured that there is NO limit on how long you can stay abroad.

That paragraph refers to people ONCE THEY GO OVER THEIR INCLUSIVE MINUTES/TEXTS/DATA.

Phew

(I have kept a copy of the conversation .... just in case)

jeffkinn

That doesn't make any sense to me - I'm going to explore that further

Jeffkinn_Sig.png