cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodaphone preventing me from getting a mortgage!

jwpennard
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

So I'll start from the beginning, I was a vodaphone customer since my first phone (11 years of age) till now (24 years of age) as was my sister, brother, mother and father. Everything had been running great until the start of 2016.

So as I was growing up decided to move away from my mothers account and get myself a brand new iPhone 6s, hurray! So I decided the best way would be to go into store and upgrade/move away on my own vodaphone journey. Went into store and spoke to a girl who offered me a good price and a decent data package, happy days.

Everything was running smooth until bill date came, I was billed £30 (old contract) and my mother was billed £61 (new contract). I thought this was odd so phoned vodaphone helpline up who to my shock advised me that the store worker had upgraded my brothers contract on my mums account but kept my contract the same with an upgraded phone ultimately meaning my mother was paying for a phone she didn't have and a contract she didn't want, and I was paying for my old contract but having a new phone.

As I believed I was on a 15gb package I used my data lavishly, to only realise at the end of the month I was charged £90 in data charges, oh dear. The helpline said that there was nothing I could do and that I would have to go into store, to which I did. Off to the shop I went and was met with a very clueless manager explaining to me there was nothing she could do and that if I signed the agreement they are unable to do anything, reporting that I should give the helpline a call, this didn't work and ended up going back and forward from shop to helpline numerous times with plenty of angry conversations with both services.

As you can imagine I was furious, upset and felt victimised by the store. During the process an online advisor said that I should cancel my direct debit as they were going to reimburse me for 4 months tariff as a way of saying sorry, great I thought.

This ultimately ended in me being charged multiple times, a letter to my house stating I owe in excess of £180 due to the advice from a helpline advisor.

In the end I was able to walk away from vodaphone and was happy about this prospect over the terrible experience I had received. 6 months later me and my partner after years of saving manage to secure a deposit for a house. Speaking with my mortgage broker and they gave me the bad news, I was declined a mortgage until I improved my credit score.

Now I am not one to take out any loans, never had a credit card and always paid everything on time so I thought what would be effecting my rating in such a negative way? So I decided to sign up for Experian and get a report to find out what was the culprit.

Checking down the list and I was unable to find anything negative towards me until I got to payments, and Low and behold there it was, 5 missed payments on my record all from vodaphone and over the period of months that was supposedly free.

Now this has led me to this forum and a cry for help from a vodaphone representative to look into this as a matter of urgency, and to ultimately rid me from this incorrect bad credit trail the company has left me. I would be happy to heard from a moderator as to the best way of getting this resolved.

Thanks for reading

J

10 REPLIES 10

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi @jwpennard

Totally appreciate your frustration with this situation. 

Please let the Vodafone Customer Support Team here catch up with your thread and I'm sure they'll engage with you. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Thanks band of brothers, understand there busy and look forward to their reply

J

BandOfBrothers

@jwpennard wrote:

Thanks band of brothers, understand there busy and look forward to their reply

J

You're Welcome @jwpennard

I appreciate and understand how damaging a default and or marker can be ,and the difficulty in having one removed from a Credit File.

The Team here read all posts and will engage as soon as they reach them. 

Anyone else performing a search in need of similar advice should be aware that it's not advised by various members here to cancel any Direct Debit until a £0 bill and a Sorry Your Leaving Letter has arrived. Any advice to do so before this is poor and potentially harmful direction in my opinion. This type of information is passed back up the communication chain @Tsathoggua

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Tsathoggua
14: Advanced member
14: Advanced member

Can the Tech Team finally enlighten the rest of us as to whether or not Customer Service advisors ever have the authority to advise customers to cancel their direct debits ??

Jenny
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@jwpennard - I’m sorry to hear what’s happened.

I’ve sent you a private message with instructions on how to get in touch, so we can look into this further.

Thank you Jenny I await your reply 

Jenny
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

You're welcome @jwpennard :Smiling:

I can see we’ve received your most recent reply, so we’ll be in touch as soon as we can.

Hello Jenny

So I have waited a month to see if any change had been made and alas it has not, can you advise me on what to do now as this is being drawn out a lot further than hoped for

I have attached a picture for your viewing.

J

Jenny
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@jwpennard - I’m sorry this hasn’t updated.

I can see we’ve received your email (ref: #16127323) - one of the team will be in touch as soon as possible.