cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Why is my IMEI not recognised and why does nobody care?

UnhappyT
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Bought my iphone6 2 years ago from carphone warehouse. Contract with Vodafone coming to an end and I'm now told Vodafone don't have my IMEI registered so they can't unlock my phone. I have been online and spoken to the NUC team and the complaints team and keep being told there is nothing Vodafone can do because it's carphone warehouse at fault. Carphone warehouse tell me it's Vodafone and so the cycle continues.  Apple can't help either only Vodafone can unlock my phone. Where do I turn to. Advisers continue to tell me to fill in the form which is then rejected. I'm being held to ransom and left to try and sort out myself. I feel like a flamin tennis ball being batted about. Vodafone you have had a lot of money from me for 2 years -  PLEASE, PLEASE HELP me get my unlock code so I can move on peacefully. Someone is at fault and people are telling me lies. I bought my contract with you in good faith and have had s blissful 2 years UNTIL NOW!!!!!

12 REPLIES 12

Tsathoggua
14: Advanced member
14: Advanced member

Thexre

Devlinl92
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi,

Generally the Carphone Warehouse don't have locks on their phones as standard, I have an S7 form them and i'm free to use any SIM i want. Vodafone are correct in saying they won't have an NUC for you. They would only have codes or be able to get codes for devices they actually supplied in this case they are only your network provider.

Have you tried another SIM in the phone to see if it works?

If Yes and your still having issues, another option you have is to do it yourself, The last section of this page; https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201328,  should help with that 

Hi.  Thank you for your reply. 

I phoned Vodafone complaints this morning and they maintain they cant help. Told to phone carphone warehouse, again! Getting through to carphone warehouse is a nightmare then if you do get an adviser they treat you like youre stupid. Have spoken with apple and they said they can't unlock my phone only my carrier can.  I have tried another SIM card and my phone gave the message 'sim not supported.'.    

My sim is the original from May 2015 so I'm totally confused. CPW said the sim is registered to Vodafone the minute I use it but clearly not the IMEI!! Vodafone told me I should have bought the phone directly from them and I wouldn't be having the problem I'm faced with today. I just can't get anywhere at the moment. I'm thinking of involving a consumer lawyer now. but first I'll try CPW and then Apple one more time 😖🤐🎡.

donnyguy
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

I don't understand why this is so difficult when the process says, use a Vodafone sim for 30 days then request an unlock code.

Contact Vodafone customer care and ask them to register the IMEI to your account. Others have done this without a problem.

Once that's done, fill out the unlock form.

But other than that, someone from the forum team should be able to help with this. It's Vodafone your phone is locked too and Apple are correct, they deal with carriers. 

Hi. Thanks for your advice. Unfortunately I have already asked Vodafone to do this and they flatly refuse telling me to go back to carphone warehouse, who I bought the phone and contract from, because they need to register it. Carphone warehouse tell me this is lies and Vodafone have my details....and once again, I am stuck in the middle. 

jeffkinn
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

In this instance Carphone Warehouse is correct - they cannot unlock the phone. Also, for general information, all iPhones bought from third party dealers such as CPW lock to the first network they are used with. Only Apple sells unlocked phones that stay unlocked.

Apple won't unlock phones either unless a network asks them to unlock it.

You will need to persevere with Vodafone. The team here should pick this thread up and will be able to help you/

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Alex
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@UnhappyT I'm sorry that you've been having trouble trying to unlock your phone. 

So we can get this looked into and assist, I've sent you a private message with details on how to get in touch.

Hey there

i have had exactly the same issue:

1. bought iphone through CPW

2. paid to vodafone for 2 years

3. moved abroad and asked vodafone to close account

4. paid the remaining of the contract

5. now want to unlock my phone

6. Vodafone doesn't recognise my IMEI code

7. CPW says its vodafone's fault they dont have the code

8. Apple says there is nothing they can do

9. Vodafone say i should have bought with them and they can't unlock and keep refferring to CPW

...and the saga continues, being treated like a tennis ball and vodafone honestly could not care less that i have paid all my bills and simply wish to use a phone for which i am entitled to do so.

Honestly,  and just like you -very much considering using legal services as it is utterly disgraceful that a corporation can get away with treating paying costumers like this.

however, i am super curious to know if they managed to help you as i am getting extremely frustrated here.

big thanks

M

Hey there

i have had exactly the same issue:
1. bought iphone through CPW
2. paid to vodafone for 2 years
3. moved abroad and asked vodafone to close account
4. paid the remaining of the contract
5. now want to unlock my phone
6. Vodafone doesn't recognise my IMEI code
7. CPW says its vodafone's fault they dont have the code
8. Apple says there is nothing they can do
9. Vodafone say i should have bought with them and they can't unlock and keep refferring to CPW

...and the saga continues, being treated like a tennis ball and vodafone honestly could not care less that i have paid all my bills and simply wish to use a phone for which i am entitled to do so.

Honestly, and just like you -very much considering using legal services as it is utterly disgraceful that a corporation can get away with treating paying costumers like this.

however, i am super curious to know if they managed to help you as i am getting extremely frustrated here.

big thanks

M