cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

requested an unlock code, being sent a pac code?

normajoan48
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

I purchased my mobile direct from vodaphone online via contract, just under a couple of years ago if I remember correctly. After a sim switch to test, it seems to be locked to the vodafone network.

I would like to unlock it just for the sake of it. LG state I must contact Vodafone, as that is who I went into contract with. I haven't decided whether to stay with pay as you go vodafone or switch when my contract is up, but I would like to be given the option. So still in contract, I requested an unlock code (from the 'Unlock your phone' vodafone page, which some websites state is for a 'NUC' code).

After around three days, Vodafone sent a PAC code. Will that be enough to unlock and change network, on a currently locked phone? If not, will vodafone charge for this NUC code whilst in contract, and by how much?  I hope they do not purposely stall until my contract is up, or keep sending PAC codes (as some other users have stated).

I am also wondering if a Vodafone high street store can unlock phones.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi,

To unlock the phone to be able to use any SIM card in it from other Networks did you use this form > https://www.vodafone.co.uk/vodafone-uk/forms/unlock-code-request/

As long as a person fulfils the criteria set down in the unlocking page the unlocking process is free. 

A PAC Code which has nothing to do with unlocking moves your number from Vodafone to another network. It lasts 30 days. It only affects your Vodafone account by closing it down and moving your number to another network if you actively give that PAC Code to another network. 

If if you do nothing then the PAC Code will timeout after 30 days and have no effect on your Vodafone contract. 

A vodafone Highstreet Store cannot unlock your phone. 

Id suggest to phone 191 or use Live Chat and ask them to fill out the unlock form on your behalf. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

View solution in original position

7 REPLIES 7

BandOfBrothers

Hi,

To unlock the phone to be able to use any SIM card in it from other Networks did you use this form > https://www.vodafone.co.uk/vodafone-uk/forms/unlock-code-request/

As long as a person fulfils the criteria set down in the unlocking page the unlocking process is free. 

A PAC Code which has nothing to do with unlocking moves your number from Vodafone to another network. It lasts 30 days. It only affects your Vodafone account by closing it down and moving your number to another network if you actively give that PAC Code to another network. 

If if you do nothing then the PAC Code will timeout after 30 days and have no effect on your Vodafone contract. 

A vodafone Highstreet Store cannot unlock your phone. 

Id suggest to phone 191 or use Live Chat and ask them to fill out the unlock form on your behalf. 

Current Phone  >

yes that's the unlock page, I remember filling out all the questions. I only received a pac code.

I have just noticed that the page does state ' This can take up to 10 days'. Do you know if I would receive both a 'nuc' and 'pac' code?

If so then perhaps I just need to wait a few days, if I should not have received a pac code then it's an obvious hiccup by a member of staff

Hi,

Something has gone wrong then I'm afraid. 

That page should only lead to an unlocking code for your phone. 

A Pac Code is only available via Customer Services on 191 or Live Chat after passing Security checks. 

Current Phone  >

I was told this code was a pac code, but I have not tested. The email only states 'Thanks for getting in touch about unlocking your phone so you can use it on a different network.'

Is there a risk if I try the code anyway with another sim to test, despite still being on a vodafone contract?

If I back up my phone's media files and contacts, and this turns out to be the right code (nuc) or not, and then swap back to my vodafone sim, will my phone and contract still be ok? I am not quite sure I understand there may be a limit on how many times I can attempt to unlock, so I'll only try it once. Thanks for your help

Hi,

To invoke the input screen insert an active Non Vodafone SIM card and input the unlocking code. 

I would say there is very little chance of any risk especially if your only going to try once. 

Nothing will affect your Vodafone account with this. 

This process should not affect any personal information on your phone but there is no harm in backing up anyway. 

Current Phone  >

The email's instructions were half finished on how to unlock

Using your code
1. Insert Vodafone sim card
2. Turn on handset
3. En

but after a google I found that dialling either 2945#*850# or 2945#*855# on an LG G3 took me to the hidden menu (the last code worked for me). I am sure these codes differ depending on model or release number.

I selected Network Unlock and entered the 16 digit code I received in the email, and it worked. It looks like it was the right code after all, it showed the new network, and switching back to my vodafone sim gave no problems.

I didn't swap the sim during the unlock process, but I did back up my contacts and images to the sd card and took it out, although it ended up being unnecessary. I suspect the sim card swap may be needed for pac codes though, unless the sim swap is just a way to avoid navigating to the unlock hidden menu.

Thanks for your help :Smiling:

Hi

Good to hear the Unlocking Code worked as it should.  :Smiling:

Different phones unlock in different ways. 

Some need another active Networks SIM card inserted to invoke a pop up box in order to key in the unlocking code. 

As per your phone which is achieved via a menu system. 

iPhones don't unlock via a code but by Apple unlocking centrally from their data base after a request by Vodafone. 

Regarding Pac Codes. 

That particular code is not keyed into the phone at all. 

The Pac Code is given to the new network a person wants to take their mobile number to.

The new network keys that PAC Code into their systems which then automatically moves the mobile number to the contract you've opened up with them replacing any temporary number and then Vodafone closes down / cancels the contract they had with you. 

Current Phone  >