Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Crashes after 4.4.2 - XXUGNE8 update

GeorgeStill
4: Newbie

Recently downloaded the new update and since receiving it, have noticed a large number of crashes / reboots on the device even with no activity.

I've seen on other topics that the only solution is a factory wipe, but certain applications require root access which I don't have, so need to find a way to get those saved before doing this.

Also ... wouldn't a factory wipe simply re-start the update process meaning that the phone on the next software update would update back to this (potentially) faulty update version?

Any plans to release an additional update to resolve this version?

Similar topics:

http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Samsung-Galaxy-S4/Phone-reboots-at-random/td-p/2136565

http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Samsung-Galaxy-S4/Samsung-S4-crashes-following-update/td-p/2129663

15 REPLIES 15

hrym
17: Community Champion

See my reply on your other thread.  If you have applications that requite root access and which you need to back up, I'm not sure what you can do.  However, do they get root access if the phone isn't rooted?

Yes, they do get root access where the application stores the files, and no I don't have root access.

As I put above ... why restore an old version to be upgraded back to the faulty one with the next update the phone makes?

P.S.  I put the update number in the thread header so that it would help other users with the same problem with the same update.

hrym

If the new version has been installed, it'll be the one that gets loaded when the phone is reset - you won't go back a stage.   You can roll back, but it's a much more complicated process.

Ok.

But if it is the latest update that's faulty, that still doesn't help me.  And I have no way of knowing where the problem is.

hrym

@GeorgeStill wrote:

Ok.

But if it is the latest update that's faulty, that still doesn't help me.  And I have no way of knowing where the problem is.

That's true, but it's marginally (at least) mreo likely that there's a conflict with stuff left over from the old system.  Anything you do now is pretty much going to involve a reset, so you may as well give it a go.

Actually, do you apps store at root level, or just in the Android folder?  Some file manager apps can see that far up - I'm fairly certain that Androzip is one of them.  It can't hurt to have a look as long as you can keep the device working that long.

GeorgeStill
Actually, no file manager app can see that "high" without root access.
And if there's an official comment on the update having a problem then I can wait for the fix to it without losing data.

hrym

I've certainly been able to get up to Android folder level without root access.   There are data subfolders for all your apps.  I'm still not sure that a 3rd party app would be able to access anything higher on an unrooted phone - a lot of security apps can't offer all their features without it.

I'd install a file manager and see what you can do.   If you just copy the whole Android folder, you should be able to put it back later and be where you were.  At any rate, it's the most you can do without rooting.

thesoupdragon

ES File Explorer can view right up to the ./ folder (highest level folder)

It is possible to Read system files without Root privilege but in order to make any changes or Write to system files you have to have a Root exploit.

If you have Custom Firmware on your Phone, Root will be built into the system. You should have a Root Manager such as Super Su or Super User installed, if not you probably are not Rooted?

GeorgeStill
I know I'm not rooted and if I can extract the files (have es file explorer) I would need to root to put them back in. The point is not about rooting or not (am considering it) but about the stability of the new patch. No point losing my data if the new upgrade is not stable.