cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Just had the update, then config message and now no data!

GoNz0
13: Advanced Member

I let my phone update (OTA) today and it seemed fine, right up until it decided it needed to send a new configuration message and that was the moment in time that the data icon vanished for good!

I have resent it 4 times and done the jump to another network and back trick vodafone suggested when I waisted 10 minutes on the phone to tech support.

Any ideas?:smileysad:

78 REPLIES 78

My answers:

• Did anything unusual happen before the update was installed? No
  • After the update installed and the device rebooted were you prompted to select any internet settings? No
  • After the update were you sent a message asking you to install any configuration settings?   Yes,  A config message from Vodafone. 
  • When do you notice (if at all) the settings application crashing? It didn't, in fact I could go into Settings and look at the APN config and it looked fine, but I still had no data via the mobile network,even after restarting, taking battery out, changing network to EE and back to Vodafone, etc. Only a factory reset sorted the problem. 

Pretty much near to tears here :Sad_face:

Since this update i have reset my phone a number of times.

Gone into a vodafone shop and got a new sim card.

Read pages and pages of info about the problem on various forums.

The only thing i did wrong was update my S4

I am unable to contact any of my family/friends in other countries using whatsapp as i now have no data.

I keep getting a meesage on my phone that says i have no sim card in the phone.

My phone overheats when the battery goes below 25%

What do i have to do to get my phone working ?

It's Christmas and nobody on the professional side of vodafone knows anything. Many hours wasted on the tech support number. My phone is useless. i have an old nokia 3210 and if i put the sim in there it works. The sim is not the problem, the update is.

To be honest if vodafone has no news why do they keep telling me to reset the phone and do the network switch ? How do i find out when i can get another upgrade ? I don't want this phone anymore, it doesn't work !!

Just to add, a reset works with my phone for 1-2 hours.

I have had the problem for 2 weeks now.

Sometimes i can turn off data and use the phone with wi-fi.

But after 12-24hrs it reverts back to no sim card message.

Why no info from vodafone on this ?

• Did anything unusual happen before the update was installed?

No

• After the update installed and the device rebooted were you prompted to select any internet settings?

No

• After the update were you sent a message asking you to install any configuration settings?

Yes

• When do you notice (if at all) the settings application crashing?

When the technical assistance in the Vodafone shop was trying to fix your error

Can you please inform your staff on the online help line and in store. None are aware of this problem. I hope you can resolve it quickly. It is a frustrating, and sloppy fault.

The problem is 9 months old.

Depending on what network you are on depends on when the 4.4.2 update was rolled out.

Amazed it's been going on that long, and that Vodafone rolled it out anyway.

Just reset my phone again, this time it lasted 9 minutes :Sad_face:

gt37
6: Helper
6: Helper
The update for me came through whilst I was in America, i had data roaming switched off. The update went through normally. I had no configuration texts. I have data, but, can not send mms when using the normal text app, have to use Hangouts, which seems to work.

I've calmed down now after my earlier message on here. Glad to see its being looked into.

Aysha_Gomaa
2: Seeker
Thank you, do you know when we to expect the new update please?

drey_p
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

@Aysha_Gomaa wrote:
Thank you, do you know when we to expect the new update please?

There is no further information, other than what has been posted in the announcement from Vodafone. 

PWIAC

Aysha_Gomaa
Will a new update be released soon to fix this and avoid doing the factory reset?
This is what I was told about 2 weeks ago but no update until now...