Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Not Registered on Network

PeteSullivan
4: Newbie

Hi

I got my S4 on 3rd May and after a few days started giving the message of Not registered on network this would happen in many locations even standing still, (I havew had my contract for 4 years) so it was not a new connection problem.  Tried my sim card in my daughters HTC One and that was fine so that was eliminated, reported the problem and the phone went away for repair, it was returned a week later with a letter saying they could not find the fault and had updated the software.  Put in a new sim card and all was well for 5 days when the problem started again.  The only waay to get the phone back on the network seems to be power it down, wait a minute and then start it up again.  It is now away for repair again if it comes back with the same problem again, what action can I take?  I think the S4 is a fantastic phone and do not want a different make or model, I want a S4 that works.

Network coverage is good since I am in London, so this makes no sense and if they cannot find the fault or repair it, I want the phone replaced.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

As the person who started this thread, I can assure you it is not a common problem, my phone was replaced (after 3 repair attempts) and not had any issues since so I am very satisfied.   As for being a well documented problem, I do not think so, whilst Google is good it also throws up many non related results.

Darren, I do not know how Samsung works (I am sure someone will) but with Voda they will try 3 repairs then replace it and it is always away no more than 7 days.

View solution in original position

169 REPLIES 169

Hi all

I have had this issue , which is now solved as a refurbished s4  has been issued and all has been fine so far ( 4 days).

I think there must be a problem with certain handsets as mine was sent for repair 3 times  but  could not be fixed by samsung or vodafone repair centers. While the phone was away for repair i used old handsets with no problem so it cannot be network or sim problems.

Regards Darren

I am now waiting for the return of my handset after 2 weeks. Samsung say tht they have replaced the motherboard soooooooo we shall see.

hrym
17: Community Champion

@haverlock wrote:

I am now waiting for the return of my handset after 2 weeks. Samsung say tht they have replaced the motherboard soooooooo we shall see.

Well, effectively that's pretty much a new phone.  It sounds as though they've identified a fault, which is always good.

I have bought a used unlocked Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini and have a 3G contract sim with Vodafone. The phone works fine in Bangor where it registers straight away on the Vodafone Uk network. When I am in nearby Menai Bridge, despite having 4 bars of signal of Vodafone Uk, the phone fails to register on the network and offers emergency calls only. Switching it off and on, rebooting, selecting different provider networks and trying all four different network modes have no effect. I have had no problem connecting to this local network using my previous phone. I try making a call and I get the message 'not registered on network, but with fours bars of Vodafone Uk signal in an area that has always worked fine before I switched phone model. Only other change is Vodafone shop switched my sim over to a micro sim. I return to Bangor and the phone registers successfully with Vodafone Uk and all works fine. Bizarre. I can find no solution for this uncommon but replicated problem on any forum other than some people appear to have had a resolution when they have had a replacement handset. Lots of speculation out there as to where the fault lies, but no definitive answer as to why a phone will register in one town but not the next. Any ideas?

hrym

@haverlock wrote:

True you can send to vodaphone, however, if their repair dept is staffed by the same skill level and customer care orentated people...............

Need I say more?

Vodafone are a generic repairer and will go for the basic solutions first, such as factory reset, flash firmware.  They will also test for an obvious hardware fault (a bit like plugging your car into diagnostics).  Most of the time, this works, but sometimes the fix is only temporary.  Some of the time, subsequent failure is down to usage or a rogue app.  More intractable faults are best dealt with by the individual manufacturer as they have more experience of their own devices and also see more of them and are therefore aware of potential and intermittent issues than a general shop.

S4 received ( at last) new battery, charger, and USB lead provided.  Took 2 weeks but all seems good ( for now) time will tell if they have fixed the fault.

Update

phone seems to be fine looks like Samsung fixed it !!!!!

Way to go Samsung

@240719 wrote:

Hi haverlock,

As drey_p has mentioned, if this were a wider issue, we’d see many more posts about it on the forum.

Let us know how you get on when the phone comes back from Samsung.

I’m sorry to see that your experiences have caused you to want to leave us.

You’d need to give us 30 days notice at a time closer to when your contract is due to end.

I hope that in the meantime, we’ll be able to restore your faith in us.

Cheers,

Andy

How many more do you need.  I purchased a Samsung Galaxy Y GT-S5360 on June 14 and after five days of Not Registered On The Network and using Chat Helplines both Vodaphone and Samsung updating phone software via internet, as Samsung KIES software failed to download a driver and could connect to the phone, two sim cards were tried No other device in which to try the sim and nearest V store involves a round trip of 60 miles.

After all this stress and aggravation I  gave up, returned the phone to the supplier for a refund.

Please Google "Not Registered on the Network"  This problem has been around for over a year, and Vodaphone need to liaise with Samsung and any other phone companies who have the problem with their handsets.

I for one will need to be convinced 100% that Vodaphone and Samsung can actually deliver the service that their hyberbolic advertising promises!

This problem is being discussed on the following,

3/EE/ORANGE/T MOBILE/O2 and Android forums, and from U.K.  Bahrain and The Philippines.

And we are told that there is No Problem.????

Sent my phone back for a refund. However I found this on Internet, it may help some users.

http://www.wiknix.com/how-to-fix-not-registered-on-network-in-samsung-or-android-phones/

How To Fix NOT REGISTERED ON NETWORK In Samsung or Android Phones

Step 1:

First, go to Settings.

Step 2:

Then go to Wireless and networks.

Step 3:

Then Tap Mobile Networks (If mobile networks not found then tap More settings and then find and tap Mobile networks).

Step 4:

Now tap Networks operators.

Step 5:

After complete searching…. Then select your Network Operator (Like Vodafone, Idea, AirTel, etc.)
That’s it, problem solved.