Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Phone Overheats.

PeteSullivan
4: Newbie

My Samsung when in use overheats, it gets so hot that it is difficult to hold.

It is at the moment at the Vodafone Repair Centre and via voicemail this is the solution.

They agree it gets extremely hot and cannot be held, so the suggest uninstall all your apps, then when you want to use one to install it and uninstall again after use.

Unsure if it was the Vodafone Christmas party last night and they still suffering the after effects, but having to do this is a complete joke and attempt to get out of contractual liabilities.

19 REPLIES 19

hrym
17: Community Champion

Phone overheat for many reasons and tracking the cause down can be tricky.   A factory reset followed by running the device vanilla, with just the stock apps, for a few days would be the first thing to try.  The repair centre will probably do a basic electrical test, a reset and maybe a reflash of the firmware.   If the device is working then, they'll have to assume it's fixed.

Thanks for your reply and advice, however, I have been told by the repair centre that having 140 apps installed is causing the problem, it also got to hot for  them to hold as well.  I have been advised to only install apps as and when needed and then uninstall them again.

Customer service have also informed me that the Samsung S4 in not made to run apps??? (Samsung do not agree)  To even try to suggest that a S4 is not suitable to run Youtube, Google Chrome, Evernote, Shazam and even Sky Sports Mobile TV (which is part of the contract) is laughable and just an excuse to try and avoid doing a job properly.  All I want is my phone working properly and if they cannot repair it then replace it.

drey_p
16: Advanced member

Hi there

Thing with apps is that it could be one app or a combination of apps that is causing your issue.   I would suggest that you perform a factory reset of the device and don't install any apps.  If the phone behaves, then you know it is an app or multiple apps causing you issues. Re-install your apps one at a time to work out which one is causing you problems. 

PWIAC

hrym

I'm with drey_p on that one.  You could also have a look at how often the apps are refreshing their data and whether you have auto-update turned on.  If you get a lot of updates all at once, that could cause enough activity for the phoen to get at least warm.   Doing them manually in batches would solve that.

OK, maybe this is not totally clear, the phone is not getting hot when using the apps, it gets very hot when making a call, now unless you are suggesting the apps only update when I am using it, I fail to see that being the problem, although since it loses its network and needs a reboot to make it work at all, this could be feasible.  Either way, it has been to repair, they agree about the heat issuebut instead of repair/replacing it, their answer is uninstall all the apps.  I have spoken to Samsung who advise that it would need a lot of apps all running at same time to make the phone get this hot unless there is a problem with it and they think there might be.  As for the S4 not being capable of runnings apps (the very words from Customer Service) like Sky Sports Mobile TV then why is it part of the package from Vodafone same as Spotify was.  

At this moment a defective phone is on its way back to me, so I have cancelled my Direct Debit and gonna offer Vodafone the option of pursuing me through the courts for the money, I have the voicemail from the service centre as evidence, Vodafone has lost 3 accounts today.

I can answer this one, you are not supposed to use apps on a S4, this comes straight from the mouths of the Reair Centre and Customer NonService in Egypt.

Vodafone are rapidly becoming a laughing stock wth the customer service.  If you try and cancel, hope not to speak to Lewis in Manchester who will tell you, it could make a call (not that the sim was in a phone that worked) had anything to do with it.

drey_p

@PeteSullivan wrote:

OK, maybe this is not totally clear, the phone is not getting hot when using the apps, it gets very hot when making a call, 

It wasn't actually clear that this only happened when you were making calls.  You only said it was when you were using it, so my bad for assuming it was app related.

So, have you taken a look at the battery at all ?  If so, does it look slightly swollen?  There was a dodgy batch of S4 batteries and they caused all sorts of strange behaviour in the handsets.  Freezing, rebooting randomly, boot loops etc were just some of the symptoms.

@PeteSullivan wrote:

At this moment a defective phone is on its way back to me, so I have cancelled my Direct Debit and gonna offer Vodafone the option of pursuing me through the courts for the money, I have the voicemail from the service centre as evidence, Vodafone has lost 3 accounts today.

When you get it back, I'd advise taking it to a Samsung Repair Centre and getting them to look the handset over.   They were pretty good at sorting out my S4 when it had problems.  Also a hard reset may be a good first step though - it may sort out the issue without a trip to the Repair Centre.

As for cancelling your direct debit, I think that is a rash decision to make as the only person to end up hurt will be you. Continued failure to pay your bill will result in a default on your credit file which will remain there for 6 years and have an impact on your ability to get credit. Also, Vodafone won't take you to court, they will pass the debt onto debt collectors who will persue you for the money.

The key thing you have to realise is that a fault with your handset doesn't give you the right to cancel your contract without penalty.  In fact, as per the T&Cs that form your contract, it is for airtime only and excludes the handset - effectively they are two seperate entities.

PWIAC

Thanks for your reply, regards the battery, I have a new one as the old one kept losing power very quickly after an upgrade, I spoke to Vodafone about this and they suggested a new battery would fix solve the issue and it did, they also offered to pay for it, so that I cannot fault them on.  However, when you get a call from the repair centre telling you the device is get to hot to hold when in use and the resolution is to not install apps, that solution is wrong pure and simple.  I have the phone and making and receivng calls is only part of the use, (try asking how many people only use a smartphone for calls) what that resolution suggests is that the phone is not fit for purpose under terms of the contract as it includes a data allowance which I am paying for. Hence any equipment supplied by Vodafone should be capable of performing the task. Consumer Direct (Trading Standards) can intervene in the case of goods of unmerchantable quality, I can also take it to the Ombudsman since my contract for the device is with Vodafone and not Samsung, it is down to Vodafone to put it right.

Would I have cancelled the direct debit under normal circumstances? No, but when you are faced with the non co-operation and incompedence of Vodafone employees like I have been today you take rash actions.  If Vodafone want me to continue paying for my services like I do every month then supply me with a phone that works the way it should, I do not want a new phone either repair mine or replace it with another that works.  When they do that I will reinstate the Direct Debit.

As a footnote, when the contracts are up for renewals then Tesco will be getting them.

drey_p

Okay so that narrows out issues with the battery.  It still may be worth you doing a factory reset on the handset and seeing if that helps it at all. If not, I'd recommend trying your nearest Samsung Repair Centre and seeing what they say about the device..

@PeteSullivan wrote:

that resolution suggests is that the phone is not fit for purpose under terms of the contract as it includes a data allowance which I am paying for. Hence any equipment supplied by Vodafone should be capable of performing the task. 

But, I'm afraid that is where you are wrong.  Your handset doesn't form part of your T&Cs, it is excluded from them:

A, This agreement covers the SIM and any services I use in my plan. It doesn't cover any mobile equipment

The SIM itself can be used in any handset and doesn't have to be used in the handset supplied by Vodafone.  Because of this, an issue with the handset has no bearing on your actual contract.  This is something that has been covered loads of times on here.

@PeteSullivan wrote:

my contract for the device is with Vodafone and not Samsung, it is down to Vodafone to put it right.

Agreed, but nothing is stopping you from visiting Samsung.  There is no rule that says you only have to deal with Vodafone just because you got the phone from them.  Often dealing with the manufacturer is a lot easier and quicker which is why we often recommend them on these forums.

@PeteSullivan wrote:

Would I have cancelled the direct debit under normal circumstances? No, but when you are faced with the non co-operation and incompedence of Vodafone employees like I have been today you take rash actions.  If Vodafone want me to continue paying for my services like I do every month then supply me with a phone that works the way it should, I do not want a new phone either repair mine or replace it with another that works.  When they do that I will reinstate the Direct Debit.

But the only person who loses out here is you and not Vodafone. If you end up with a default on your credit file, it will affect your ability to get credit so could end up scuppering your plans to move to Tesco.  The first rule of any dispute is to continue paying otherwise you end up in the wrong.  As stated above, your contract is for airtime only and doesn't include the handset, so you have to keep paying even if your handset is faulty.  

PWIAC