Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Phone Overheats.

PeteSullivan
4: Newbie

My Samsung when in use overheats, it gets so hot that it is difficult to hold.

It is at the moment at the Vodafone Repair Centre and via voicemail this is the solution.

They agree it gets extremely hot and cannot be held, so the suggest uninstall all your apps, then when you want to use one to install it and uninstall again after use.

Unsure if it was the Vodafone Christmas party last night and they still suffering the after effects, but having to do this is a complete joke and attempt to get out of contractual liabilities.

19 REPLIES 19

The SIM itself can be used in any handset and doesn't have to be used in the handset supplied by Vodafone.  Because of this, an issue with the handset has no bearing on your actual contract.  This is something that has been covered loads of times on here

The problem faced with this is that handset has a sim lock so cannot be used on other networks and Vodafone branded apps that cannot be removed, therefore that gives the phones is tied to the contract and part of the monthly payment pays for it, therefore it is part of an Hire Purchase agreement.

drey_p
16: Advanced member

@PeteSullivan wrote:

The problem faced with this is that handset has a sim lock so cannot be used on other networks and Vodafone branded apps that cannot be removed, therefore that gives the phones is tied to the contract and part of the monthly payment pays for it, therefore it is part of an Hire Purchase agreement.

You are reading way too much into this I'm afraid as the T&Cs are quite explicit.  It isn't an Hire Purchase agreement at all, it is an airtime contract.

This isn't the first time someone has incorrectly thought that the handset is part of the airtime agreement.

PWIAC

This would come down to a case of who is the owner of the handset, if Vodafone then they have a duty to repair/replace it when it goes wrong, I cannot use the airtime agreement without a device.

If it is mine then Vodafone have no right to have the sim locked or any software on it without the option to uninstall it, Microsoft lost a similar not identical argument over Windows and Internet Explorer.

It is not worth expensive legal battles, but maybe BBC Watchdog might like to investigate it though

hrym
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

A lot of what's described as "bloatware" is put there by manufacturers and they payment they get for it subsidises the cost of the handset.   A lot more of it is uninstallable than used to be, though.   I'm sure that Vodafone would argue that what they add is to improve finctionality on the network.  Network-locking is contentious but, if you can by a phone on 24 monthly instalments cheaper than you can buy it outright, the chances are that it's subsidised and a 12-month lock-in (you can unlock free of charge afte that) is perhaps a small price to pay.

If you really want flexibility, go for the 30 day SIM only option and bring your own device.  That way you're not involved with a network warranty of any kind and you can chop and change as often as you like.

Sorry to tell you this but the cat is out of the bag, I have been told today that the phone does form part of the contract, that came direct from the mouth of a Customer Service advisor (it was witnessed by a solicitor) even more amazing was a conversation I then had with Cancellations and Tech Support, the conversation was rather strange as the person I spoke to also has a S4 with the same apps as me and their phone works great, Tech Support told me that having installed 140 apps (it was factory reset before it went back) so where they getting that from I do not know, has exhausted the phone and it should not have apps at all, with this I asked to be put back to cancellations and this time I was told, Vodafone no longer sells or has stock of the S4 only they only have the S4 mini, so they cannot exchange it.

Why o why Vodafone CS advisors decide to lie to customers is a problem for Vodafone to decide, but due to the situation in the last 48 hours Vodafone can say goodbye to my contracts when they expire.

Samsung however have agreed to look at it and repair or replace it for me how totally different to the network provider.

drey_p

@PeteSullivan wrote:

Sorry to tell you this but the cat is out of the bag, I have been told today that the phone does form part of the contract, that came direct from the mouth of a Customer Service advisor (it was witnessed by a solicitor)

As stated previously, it does NOT form part of your contract as evidenced below:

A, This agreement covers the SIM and any services I use in my plan. It doesn't cover any mobile equipment

So what you have been told is incorrect.

@PeteSullivan wrote:

Samsung however have agreed to look at it and repair or replace it for me how totally different to the network provider.

Which is why we recommend them on the forum!  Do please post back here what Samsung have to say so that the information can be used to help other users. 

PWIAC

Legally, Vodafone is liable for any information given by its agents, the words used was "the handset is part of the contract" it was very clear and as previously stated it was witnessed.

I have to applaud your defence of Vodafone on these forums I hope they treat you well, but the fact Vodafone no longer carries the S4 does not release them from the 24 month warranty that they give on ALL android devices.  The biggest problem with Vodafone is inconsistantcy if you are unfortunate enough to get a call centre in Egypt or South Africa then all you will be told is lies, if that is the way Vodafone decide to conduct their business then they also have to be responsible.  The same applies to some of the webchat team, except now I would be more inclined to say that they are told what to type, ths is from a chat about warranties I was not going to mention his name but if helps if VF want to dispute it,

"Sean : Peter, the replacement is basically possible only if you have insurance for the handset and it is arranged by the insurance team. From what you have mentioned, it is a technical issue that arises upon usage on the handset. We can arrange a call back for you with our technical team who can check to help you get the issue resolved"

followed by

"Peter Sullivan: The phone is still in warranty, it should be repaired or replaced
Sean : It could be repaired. Warranty does not cover replacement. The terms of warranty is not limited to us at Vodafone. It remains common for any manufacturers or service providers. If there is any issue that you notice with the handset within the first 14 days which is more than enough to notice any issues on the handset, we take back the handset without any charges"

So in other words VF only warrant a device for 14 days and you need insurance afterwards????

I am taking this further, I have written to the Customer Relations department to give them a chance to resolve this issue once and for all, I hope it is better than what the Cancellations department offered me,  a new contract for 2 years and they will replace the phone.

drey_p

@PeteSullivan wrote:

Legally, Vodafone is liable for any information given by its agents, the words used was "the handset is part of the contract" it was very clear and as previously stated it was witnessed. 

And anything that is verbally said is superseded by the written contract.  The contract is what you have signed up to.

@PeteSullivan wrote:

the fact Vodafone no longer carries the S4 does not release them from the 24 month warranty that they give on ALL android devices.   

No, it doesn't release them from the warranty of the device.  Nor does it stop you from going to Samsung.

As for the rest of what was said, let me shed some light on the way the warranty process works.  You can return the handset at any point within the 14 day cooling off period and it will be swapped out with no questions asked.  Once you are outside of the cooling off period, your phone gets sent off for repair.  If the handset is deemed to be beyond repair, you are given a replacement

PWIAC

drey_p wrote

"You can return the handset at any point within the 14 day cooling off period and it will be swapped out with no questions asked.  Once you are outside of the cooling off period, your phone gets sent off for repair.  If the handset is deemed to be beyond repair, you are given a replacement."

And this exactly where they are falling down, the phone is now back with me claiming to be repaired, I just made a call no apps installed and it got excessively hot, so it was not repaired or replaced.  It is another 2 weeks wasted on a contract I am/was paying good money for.

Having now spoken with customer relations, an amicable agreement has been reached.

Phil
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hi @PeteSullivan 

I can see you've been given some great help from the community. Apologies for our delay in replying on the thread.  

I'm glad our Customer Relations team have been able to resolve this issue for you.  

Let us know if there's anything else we can help with. 

Many thanks, 

Phil