Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Post OS Upgrade Issues - What next?

bazchops
3: Seeker
3: Seeker
Hello, So having read through some of this forum I can see I'm not alone with my smartphone issues here. So everything was running smoothly until I accepted the OS upgrade. Since then I have had issues with the phone becoming alarmingly hot. However the bigger issue is the constant restart/reload that randomly happens through using no specific application at all. Please note the reload issues starting happening immediately after the upgrade - I hadn't installed any apps immediately afterwards either. Not only does the phone randonly reload but it also just cycles through successive reboots continuously. However if I plug in an external power source the phone will reload and remain active. This happenes no matter what the power level of the battery is - I have tested this at all levels (100%, 75%, 51%, 49%, 25%) with no difference in behaviour. Despite this I started removing my regularly used apps in an attempt to find the culprit without having to facrory reset my phone. Over the following few months it became clear this would get me no where and I decided at the weekend to properly backup, reset and restore the phone. This didn't fix the issue. So I reset it again and left it with no apps installed and again the reload/reboot issue is still in play. What should I do here - I'm seeing comments on the forum about battery replacements and phone replacements and being forced to deal with Samsung directly as Vodafone don't appear to offer appropriate levels of support on devices they sell to customers. This is a worrying development. I have been a Vodafone customer for years and certainly the response to this issue will be the deciding factor for whether I remain a loyal customer or jump to another provider when I upgrade next. So given other peoples' experience on what appears to be a common issue - should I just go to Samsung with the problem? I'm hoping an eagled-eyed Vodafone Tech will repond to this and provide some guidance. Many thanks for any responses.
3 REPLIES 3

jeffkinn
17: Community Champion

No one is forced to go to Samsung rather than Vodafone. But as customers we can say what Vodafone can't.

You'll get a better, quicker and probably more thorough service by going to Samsung rather than using the Vodafone repair service.

There are plenty of them about and more often than not they are in plant repair centres in Carphone Warehouse stores - The Geek Beat.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Thanks for the response. I've just compared my battery to a mate's who also has the same phone and my battery is clearly "fat". He mentioned he had strange phone issues the same bulging battery issue and went straight to Samsung who repaired it in a couple of days (only replaced the battery but they kept the phone for that period unfortunately). I would have thought the Samsung Repair Centres would have had a store of spare batteries given this is such a known issue but we will see. Thanks again.

hrym

Samsung were carrying spare batteries when this first arose a while back - except that those turned out to be faulty as well! - but they've probably cut back after the problem was assumed to have been covered.   There's been a recent spate of the issue recurring and I don't know whether it's a new batch of faulty batteries or ones from the original batch that have taken longer to fail.   Battery stock in the retail channel is generally low, due to the lack of demand and the many variations.   Attempts have been made, notably by Duracell, to standardise, but they've got nowhere. 

Online sourcing is best and you simply have to pay what look slike a sensible price as it's not possible to tell what's genuine and what isn't.  When this was around before, both Samsung and Vodafone were reimbursing people who'd bought their own.  I don't know if this is still policy and I assume Vodafone (as a 3rd party) were indemnified by Samsung.  Again, I don't know if that's still policy.

Although you have the right to insist that any fault is dealt with by Vodafone, if it's quicker to go direct to the manufacturer, that's normally the preferred solution.