Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Recent OTA software update has killed my battery life

Eugene7
4: Newbie

As per the title, the recent OTA update has killed my battery life!

IMS Framework is now always running, and that stops the phone from going to sleep - so it is always awake.

The battery lasts only for a couple of hours now - making the phone useless for business use while travelling.

Before anyone suggests it, I have done a factory re-set, and cleared the phone cache - same result with just the phone software running - no Apps installed.

This is appalling!

How can I revert to the previous phone software?

Vodafone, you obviously didn’t test this last release!!!

95 REPLIES 95

sat19
10: Established
Just to clarify, The manufacture sends the updates software to the network provider. Vodafone who add ther own stuff and then the manufacture pushes the updates to your handsets. FACT

sat19
Vodafone added the rich communications software to your phone. The manufacture just pushes out this for Vodafone

hrym
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

There is one other possibility.  Is your phone now set to try for a 4G signal (LTE in Settings)?   If it's not finding one - 4G is still a bit limited - it'll use battery looking.   If you're not using 4G, try limiting the device to 2 & 3G.   If you do use 4G but are only sometimes in a 4G area, try turning 4G off when you can't access it.  Does that improve the situation at all?

Seriously?

All this feedback on the software bug, and still you suggect it is something else???

IT IS A SOFTWARE BUG WITHIN THE MESSAGING OPTIONS.

What do you not get????

Phil
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hi everyone, 

Further to your feedback we have just approved a software update which will be rolled out in stages by Samsung starting this week.

Please install the latest version when you receive it over the air to fix any bugs you’ve experienced.

Many thanks, 

Phil

Has ANYONE actually got this update yet ?

Ben_H
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi @shudman ,

Firmware updates are rolled out in stages. This helps to control the traffic going through systems like Kies to prevent it getting overloaded and crashing. 

We'll let you know as soon as the software is ready for your phone by way of an alert in your phone's toolbar.

If you got your phone from anywhere other than Vodafone, or if the phone has been rooted, you may not get the same updates.

Thanks,

Ben

I was only asking if *ANYONE* had received it - and whilst not all S4 owners are digesting this thread (shame on them!), it seems no one has received it.  I understand that it will be rolled out in phases - but it is not "phased" if no one has got it yet....just potentially stall tactics as it hasn't be rolled at all yet ?  :smileysad:

Can you not see how frustrating this is for people paying good money ....for their phones to only last 3 hours on a full charge ?  A perfectly good working phone, broken by an OTA update, and then 2 months to wait for another fix, which hasn't materialized ?

Are you saying that it will be offered via KIES first ?  KIES certainly shows no update for me.

Retired-Kay
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi shudman, 

Ben was using KIES as an example, it doesn't mean it will only be available that way. 

We don't have a timescale for software updates. I completely understand it's frustrating, however we can't give information we genuinely don't have. 

As soon as an update is available, you'll be notified. 

Thanks, 

Kay

and.....two weeks later  STILL NO OTA UPDATE.

You have to be kidding us that it is rolling out in stages - for everyone's sake, can you not actually be honest with your customers and tell us it has not even been released ?

Vodafone's lack of clarity and support in the last two weeks, along with the botched issue in the first place has now pushed me to move providers. I have 4 phones...and you have lost the business that you have had for 6 years. You should be ashamed.