Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Recent OTA software update has killed my battery life

Eugene7
4: Newbie

As per the title, the recent OTA update has killed my battery life!

IMS Framework is now always running, and that stops the phone from going to sleep - so it is always awake.

The battery lasts only for a couple of hours now - making the phone useless for business use while travelling.

Before anyone suggests it, I have done a factory re-set, and cleared the phone cache - same result with just the phone software running - no Apps installed.

This is appalling!

How can I revert to the previous phone software?

Vodafone, you obviously didn’t test this last release!!!

95 REPLIES 95

I don't keep such junk mail.

There was a reply - but that's long gone.

If this is what Vodafone support has come down to it really is a very sad state of affairs.

Bloody appalling!

So it's now 2 week since I supplied the information requested to Vodafone Support - and nothing - not a bloody thing!

We are moving our business contract to another supplier - I have never had such appalling support (or lack of) from any supplier - ever!

Totally atrocious support – and that’s ignoring Vodafone’s inability to fix their own OTA update!

what seems odd to me is that  people are coming to this problem still. i.e new people so you are rolling out the potentialy bad OAT  version still.  I  guess it only affects a small % of users but do you not think you  should stop  this untill you have a fix ?

bassl1ne

I got a new battery for my S4 thinking the old one was not holding its charge but it didn't make any difference, just came across this thread so that might explain it.

I was amazed how long the battery lasted when i first got this phone but now have to charge twice a day :Sad_face:

No update fixes here as yet.

riwilson1
2: Seeker
Switching off wifi , blue tooth,rich communications and data makes no difference, my S4 still does it all. It heats up drains battery and IMS Framework seems to be the culprit. It can wax and wane like the moon, going from 90% of battery use to 3%.
I thought about a factory reset but I am left wondering. Went to my local Vodafone shop. The advisor said he had never heard of IMS Framework, nor that he seemed in any way interested.
Might try the reflashing on Kies.
To do this to a paying customer is disgraceful. Vodafone no excuses - just get it sorted! !😈

Dream on...they don't care.  Vote with your feet.  It's pathetic

riwilson1
Hi
Just to ask if any of you got a software update for something called All share cast dangle in the last few days. I did and since then IMS Framework has been down to 3% a and on occasion disappearing altogether off the list of battery usage.
Not sure if this has sorted the IMS issue somehow. I am doing nothing for a while until I see what happens.

Yet another person here with the same issue.

I updated OS a couple months back and had major issues with the IMS Framework killing battery.

I (ANNOYINGLY) had to do about 2 or 3 factory resets and somehow through unticking Rich Communications and Stopping IMS Framework, a couple of restarts etc etc, it stopped.

For some reason yesterday, my battery was dying quickly so i checked the battery usage and low and behold IMS is back (and with a vengeance - taking 70% of the battery)

Not had any push messages for OTA updates since about September.

Can Voda PLEASE issue a fix, it makes the phone unusable.

There are too many people with this issue to palm it off as individual issues.

It is also BLATENTLY a voda issue as it is related to IMS Framework and nothing to do with Samsung. 

DO NOT tell me to do another factory reset, i am not reinstalling apps and settings due to a Voda issue.

I am defintely rooting my phone tonight and ridding my phone of the voda bloatware.

They don't listen to us. People have been complaining for ages about this update. And nothing will get done, as the S4 is not a flag ship phone anymore. I remember years ago having a problem with my Sony Experia Neo, was told, factory restore, and the problem was still there, so its the same old answers all the time. 

Please will someone at Vodafone update is fed up S4 owners as to what is happening. I do not use the bog standard message App, i use Hangouts now, which seems to be ok ish, battery lasts about 7 hours, still not like it was.

bassl1ne

Went into a Vodafone store today regarding another issue, I happen to mention about battery problems on the Galaxy S4, the sales guy told me it's a common problem and offered to post me out a brand new battery :Smiling: