Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Rich Communications Suite - Samsung Galaxy S4

danba
4: Newbie

Just got a prompt last night for an update of 155mb.  Haven't noticed much yet other then the messaging app has got an upgrade and now adding emoji doesn't convert a text message to MMS. There's a Rich Communications option under Network which is related to the sms app.

Baseband version: I9505XXUGNH7

Anyone else got this? :cathappy:

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Ellis_VF
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hi Everybody

As you may have noticed, we have merged a number of threads surrounding RCS together into one thread per device. This has been done so all the conversations can be done in one place rather than in several different threads. This means we are making sure that we can monitor the posts easier and when we respond we are doing so to everybody on the one device.

Please note that this thread is for discussion for RCS on the Samsung Galaxy S4 device only. If you wish to discuss the matter on another device please go to the relevant thread. If there are posts about different devices made on here, then the moderators will move them to the proper threads.

Thank you.

View solution in original position

166 REPLIES 166

100% unticking RCS and rebooting my phone a couple of times has fixed it for me, so i'm all good now.

("Untick Settings->Connections-> More Networks-> Rich Communications") -> Reboot phone a couple of times and make sure this is still unticked.

Vodafone, please look into the QA for these updates, this one had a pretty major impact!

Ben_H
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi @jconway78 and @SteveHuckett ,

I've sent each of you instructions here for how to get in touch.

Thanks to those who have already provided details.

Any rollback via Kies should be done via Samsung directly on the link I provided. This will help protect your warranty.

Cheers, 

Ben

Hi Ben

I'm having the same trouble as all the others. My battery life is next to nothing and I can't class my mobile as a mobile as it needs to be nearly consently plugged in, which isn't much good since I already pay for a land line and I was suppose to be paying for a mobile with yourselves not a second land line.  Is there going to be an update soon to sort this mess out and are we going to get some sort of compensation from Vodafone for the limited use of our mobiles due to a Vodafone update.

Thanks

emchippie1
3: Seeker
Have now sent all info requested to customer care/tech team in the hope this issue is finally resolved having had minimal to no use of a functioning phone most of this week.

Please can Vodafone focus on resolving an issue that is currently an inconvenience for alot of customers at present..

I'm currently backing up prior to attempting a factory reset, not that I can see that affecting things at all. I have spent the last 2 hours messing around with Kies but cannot seem to see any way in which you can revert back to a previous version. Yet more time wasted to VF... :smileymad:

I rolled back to a previous version once before using Odin.  I had to download the full ROM from SamMobile and do it that way. But right after I had to do a full wipe and reset as everything went wonky.

(Removed according to House Rules)

Go to the firmware database and choose the GT-I9505 Galaxy S4.  It lists all the firmwares by date

You can search for the previous FW for the I9505 UK VOD and download it tho I think you have to register on the site to get the link

Model: GT-I9505

Model name: GALAXY S4 LTE

PDA: I9505XXUGNE8

Instructions
  • Extract (unzip) the firmware file
  • Download Odin v3.09
  • Extract Odin zip-file
  • Open Odin v3.09
  • Reboot phone in Download Mode (press and hold Home + Power + Volume Down buttons)
  • Connect phone and wait until you get a blue sign in Odin
  • Add the firmware file to AP / PDA
  • Make sure re-partition is NOT ticked
  • Click the start button, sit back and wait a few minutes

Worked for me last year so hopefully it might work for some. On this update I unchecked the Rich Coms Crap and it's not using any battery at all. But my battery is nearly at the end of its days anyways so I'm always plugging in.  Though right after this update it was going flat in about 3 hours which was really bad. Oh..I couldn't even use Kies as the phone wouldn't stay connected.

thesoupdragon
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

@rednell 

Kies can only install the latest version of Firmware.

What you can do is perform a Firmware recovery, which means that Kies will reflash the latest Firmware again in case there was an error previously.

Wink.gif

beckyfsyth
2: Seeker

Hi

I've tried unticking the Rich communications box and powered off and restarted, but my battery is still draining quickly. It's absolutely ridiculous I work long days with a long commute and I cannot rely on my phone. Vodafone I don't pay through the nose for a phone that I cannot rely on due to an update YOU have given us!!! Please sort it!

Cellphone

So Vodafone have admitted there is an issue with I9505XXUGNH7 and IMS Framework causing battery drain by posting advice and links to Samsung in order to rolback the firmware on our S4s so why is there no explanation given of the issue and timeline for a fix!! Come on Vodafone we are paying significant monthly charges to you and all now have poor quality devices because of an 'upgrade' delivered by you. Give us a fix quickly, am sure you would if you had to rebate us our monthly charges for every day the power drain issue is present on our phones.

You can tell my frustration as have registered to forum today just so I can post this.

markshaf

An update on my situation, YMMV.

I did a full factory reset. Settings --> Accounts --> Backup and reset --> factory data reset. This was obviously quite painful but does appear to have removed the IMS Framework issue. Battery life seems to be back to normal (although Battery Guru is back in learning mode, so not quite as good as it could be yet).

I did untick Rich Communications and this seems to have been sticky.

Should never have gotten to this state but at least my phone is usable again.