You are here:
Ask a question:
Rank 1: Guest
timmi81

S4 gets very hot quickly

Thought the other day it felt a bit warm but I assumed it was the way I was holding it. I just played real racing 3 which I also had on my old iPhone 5 for no more than five minutes and it nearly cooked in my hand. Quick google search suggests its been reported elsewhere. I now have 34 hours to decide whether I want to keep this mini microwave. Also annoying how apple products are supposedly crap as cannot use adobe flashplayer etc yet live feeds worked perfectly on the iphone unlike this thing. Kind of regret taking the gamble on changing phones at the moment.
Message 1 of 17 (12,202 Views)
Rank 6: Frequent Poster
jamsterdm

Re: S4 gets very hot quickly

youve made a wise decision getting away from apple. The s4 is lovely, in regards of hotness mine isnt paticulary getting that hot. Maybe the new firmware thats just came out in the states will help if it comes here

Message 2 of 17 (12,141 Views)
Tech Team
Jenny

Hi timmi81,

I’m sorry to see the problems you’re having.

I’ve used the Galaxy S4 and I never found it overheating.

My colleague James has one and he’s said that the only time it gets warm, is if he’s been playing games for an hour or so.

I’d say that if it’s overheating within 5 minutes then something’s wrong. Don’t worry though, you can call our Returns Team on 191 to arrange an exchange. :smileyhappy:

Thanks,

Jenny

Message 3 of 17 (12,115 Views)
Rank 40: Professor IV
hrym

It sounds as though there's a process that's gone mad.  In Settings, there should be an entry for Battery and this will show what's using it most.  Is it the game or something else?   (I'd also expect overheating like this to cause very short battery life, btw).

There were issues of short battery life when ICS came out, but that was down to the OS calibrating the battery, so it may have jsut been mis-reporting.  However, it's also possible that this is what's happening now.

If there isn't an obvious rogue process, it might be worth trying a factory reset (a pain, I know, and don't forget to back up first).  If all that doesn't work, then the handset may be faulty and I'd be inclined to go direct to Samsung rather than through Vodafone.  I know they sold it to you, but Samsung are the manufacturer and more reliable on the niggly little issues.

Message 4 of 17 (12,088 Views)
timmi81

Just tried it again with the screen brightness turned down on the same game and it got warm around the camera and flash, then did the same race (1 lap) with the brightness turned up and it got very warm. Even the top third of the screen got warm and I was only holding the phone on the corner. As I write this I can feel it slowly cooling down. I will ring customer services in the morning.
Message 5 of 17 (12,051 Views)
timmi81

http://androidspin.com/2013/05/03/galaxy-s4-feeling-a-little-hot/

One of many reports of the issue. Some saying turning gps off and other things can help but that's not good enough tbh.
Message 6 of 17 (12,049 Views)
Rank 40: Professor IV
hrym

Did you do what I suggested about seeing what's using the battery?  This would tell if you it's that specific game or something else.

Remember that this may not be a phone issue, but an issue with that particular app.

Message 7 of 17 (11,985 Views)
timmi81

Yes. All screen according to the battery status. They cook simple as, getting worse tbf and having just read about the same problem happening with replacements im doubting whether to get another or go for something else
Message 8 of 17 (11,436 Views)
Rank 34: Scholar III
Northern-dj

Ok other then the game what is running in the back ground 

The Note 2 was affected by this and it was proseses runing in the back ground 

1. make sure GPS is off

2. Turn off Bluetooth  Not needed when Gaming 

3 Turn Facebook off 

4 the proseses will get warm and uses the case to disapate the heat 

5. check the running apps section just to see what is running 

Message 9 of 17 (11,423 Views)
timmi81

Nothing! Haven't any of you searched the problem on the net?

Vodafone you are useless 3 times I have rang your so called customer services and twice I got cut off. 3rd time I opted for the "if you're thinking of leaving us" option. Well 10 mins later im still waiting for someone to answer. Ironic? Congratulations on being so poor
Message 10 of 17 (11,356 Views)
Tech Team
Sukhi

Hi timmi81

Did you manage to get through? If not if you pop me a message here we'll get in touch to see what we can do.

Thanks

Sukhi

Message 11 of 17 (11,303 Views)
tierix

90% of the time, the reason it's overheating, is that the media server is running all the time!

The media server is the process that checks the ext. MicroSD card.

The only way to stop this is to backup everything on the ext Card on a PC for instance, put the card back into the phone, format it FROM THE PHONE (NEVER format it from a PC cause the file format is different), and put back your data on it.

It should be solved now.

Message 12 of 17 (11,069 Views)
tierix

......another reason it could get hot is the charger.

The charger provided with the SGS4 is a 2amp one. It pulls about 10.5watt onto the phone, which makes it hot.

If you don't want that to happen, use an original SGS3 charger. These are only 1amp chargers and pull about 6.5watt onto the phone. It will not get hot at all but will charge a little bit slower than the SGS4 charger.

Message 13 of 17 (11,065 Views)
Rank 2: First Poster
rchiileea

The Heat issue on the S4 will be fixed with next update (vodafone need to push it out quicker, would save them a few quid in the repair dept) the problem really is down to the chips, I am not sure if its the CPU or the PowerVR chip though (although it looks like a powervr fault), but one was getting hot...

What i do know is that with all chips you get prime and normal, by this i mean when you manufacture any chip you get some that will handle higher clocks and some that wont,even though they are the same manufactured the same within 5 minutes of each over. So in reality this issue may be down to quality control at PowerVR despite what pr spill you hear.

Hence after the update the phone wont get as hot, and 3dmark score will be down :smileyhappy:

Message 14 of 17 (10,303 Views)
Rank 5: Regular Poster
darren1967

Hi all, I have a similar problem with my s4. It seems to get hot while charging(if i take the back off and touch the sim and sd holders they are the hottest,i do not have a sd card in). The battery life also seems poor since i installed the latest software upgrade,not sure what it was but it was about 2 weeks ago. I check the battery usage and it says maps using 79% but i am not using the app.I have cleared the history and cache on maps but still says 79%.

Hope someone can help.

Darren

Message 15 of 17 (8,397 Views)
Rank 41: Professor V
thesoupdragon

Hi Darren

Did you Factory Reset after the last update? If not, I would recommend you do!

Samsung Phones seem to have an issue with clearing out old remnants of system files, which then cause conflicts with the new update.

This was first recognised in the Galaxy S 1 (GT-I9000) It has since been advised (by the community here) as a "best practice" after updates.

halloweenSig.png

Message 16 of 17 (8,372 Views)
Rank 5: Regular Poster
darren1967

hi sd, tried that and all seems good , Thanks

Message 17 of 17 (8,332 Views)