Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Samsung Galaxy S4 Eating Data

CarolineC2010
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I am on a Vodafone sim only contract of unlimited minutes and texts and 1gb data. I have recently switched from the Galaxy Ace to the  Galaxy S4, but am alarmed at the amount of data my phone is using. I have restricted the background data for all the apps so no data is actually being used unless I am actually doing something on it, but even using the facebook app for 1 minute or manually refreshing my emails using the BlueMail app (I was using the stock e-mail app but for some reason it was ignoring the manual refresh option so I stopped using it) can use between 1-3mb. Admittedly you wouldn't be able to fit half as many apps on the Galaxy Ace, but the data would never get used at this rate. Is there something wrong or is this normal for a phone like this?

1 REPLY 1

hrym
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Your best bet is to use a data management app.  I like My Data Manager, but there are others.   It can show you use by app down to the hour if you want it to.  That should allow you to identify the culprit.  Cloud syncing and video autoplay on Facebook are the prime culprits, but Android is generally better behaved than iOS.

If you keep MDM on the device, it's worth getting it sync'd with your account as it can then warn you when you get near your limit and turn data off when you're really close (all in manual settings) if you want it to.