Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

What was that update ?

shudman
4: Newbie

I got an update yesterday, 128Mb's worth....which I duly applied.  I was already on 4.4.2 on my S4, and the description said it was for stability issues.  Had a few of these over 6 months or so, and all have been fine...so didn't really take notice of the update code number.

Anyhow...issues ?  Yeah, possibly.  The battery is draining like heck now, and I also noticed that this update has changed the notifcation area icons at the top, whereby the "GPS" tile has changed to "Location"...and there seems some automation about turning it on and off now - for example, if I start MapMyRun, it autostarts the GPS, which it certainly did not do before.  If I turn the "location" tile off, it does just that....turns wifi/data/gps off, whereas before it would JUST turn GPS off (as it was labelled "GPS"). 

What the heck is this change, as I suspect it is draining my battery !

Anyone else apply this ?

14 REPLIES 14

I no longer have a GPS button, only location. 

I stays lit up now. 

I have accuracy set to GPS only and it comes on when any app needs it.

My battery is fine.

hrym
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Yes, GPS does seem to have changed to Location.  It's the same thing, but I suppose more meaningful for the non-technically minded.

Northern-dj
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

The S5 also got a simular update were things were tweaked on there 4.4.2

It seems its samsung rolling this out, as O2 also got theres as well

Its classified as a Fix rom so thankfully no Network messing up

but they have used this option to change a phew things

loftysaltmarsh
11: Established
11: Established
Go to the battery performance checker in settings. Press the graph at the top. You should see a new GPS section showing how much it's been on.

yup to all of the above and I am having probs with my battery after update grrrr......... the factory reset  thing is a nightmare......... can't believe am going to have to do this again. Not being massively with it in the old back up files department i lost pretty much everything last time i reset..... sighs.....