Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Does Lollipop work and is it worth it?

djs1970
4: Newbie
There is so much negativity regarding Vodafone's version or lack of Lollipop. I have read many posts saying there are problems, but no one is saying it works well. So my question is as my phone keeps asking me to update, is it really worth it?
6 REPLIES 6

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion
Hi,

I have reads lots of professional blogs on this along with user reviews from people who have downloaded the update both from networks servers and from Samsung's.

Some are happy with the introduced features / changes and some are not.

I've come across people who have had battery drain and then again others who say all is fine.

I firmly believe it can also depend on the limits / age of the handset too. Newer ones may cope better in some instances.

I also always suggest to create a back up before the update and then After the firmware update carry out a Hard Reset which can help clear out old files possibly stopping various glitches.

Do you know anyone who has already updated their phone to this or maybe see if your local high street shops have working demo models with the new firmware update on them.

😎

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Sheephelmet
7: Helper
7: Helper
Stick with Kitkat! It's not worth the risk of being another of us poor sods who now have a brick.

hrym

Generally speaking, Lollipop is worth it and it's generally a good idea to accept updates as they often include additional security features.   How much difference you'll notice depends on what features you use.

Samsung devices are known to often need a factory reset after updates, so back up your data first, just to be on the safe side.   I'd also recommend a restart first, to clear caches and running processes, giving the phone as much of its available resources for the update process as possible.  This may reduce the likelihood of a reset being required.

Avoid like the plague until Vodafone release a firmware update that works!

Personally I wouldn't touch it until the fix is released by Vodafone. I wouldn't go on anything less than 5.0.2 (once its released!)

Stick with KitKat for now is the best advice.

Unless you want daily crashes and don't mind keep removing your battery (which needs charging 24/7)

:Smiling:

Tom_1346
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Today Vodafone have released an update to Lollipop which now works as expected, its still recommended to do a factory reset after the update if you are coming from Kitkat 4.4.2 and do encounter any issues but Smartswitch (Samsungs backup software) takes care of backing up and restoring your content really well.