Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

New Samsung Galaxy S5 Battery Life....

taz_nut
4: Newbie

Hi All,

Recently got an upgrade to a Samsung Galaxy S5, been impressed with the phone generally but the last few days I have noticed that the batteries seems to be discharging very quickly, I charged last night and currently as I type this it is down to 40% already.....

I opened the Battery information and it shows that the IMS Framework and Android System are using 42% each of the battery life, is this normal?

I do not have Wi-fi or Blue Tooth turned on etc. I have turned the phone on and off etc. to see if this helps.

Any advice greatly received!

Ian.

6 REPLIES 6

taz_nut

What I have also noticed is that if I look in the Cell Standby options it tells me that out of 12.5 hours the time without a signal is actually 16%, that means I have lost 2 hours which I assume means it uses more battery looking for a connection?

Cyberwitch

The update I think installs this RCS and messenger thing, I don't know if its related but I have disbled this and experinced no battery drain, we noticed yesterday that my other half who also has an S5 was still enabled and his battery ist going down very fast also, go to your message setting and disaable the chat function.  Hope it helps :Smiling:

Thanks for your reply....

Do you know what the Chat and "RCS thing" are called, I assume I disable from Application Manager?

Oh my the RCS really does seem like an evil bit of software.  SO glad I did not upgrade mine

There is a linkhttp://help.vodafone.co.uk/system/selfservice.controller?CONFIGURATION=1000&PARTITION_ID=1&CMD=BROWS...

hope it helps

That doesn't explain very well, so easy way is go to the 3 little dots at the top right on your message screen >settings> Chat settings - turn off at the top.  Like i said it might just be a coincidence but since disabling it the IMS usage has dropped.  But that also increases in bad reception areas.  Another thing to check is your network settings I am not on a 4G package yet the S5 seems to automatically set to LTE (after updates) which is 4G. The reception in my area is no good for 4G so the battery got used quickly. So I change it to the next one down - WCDMA/GSM

JohnEagles
1: Seeker

Hi

Have had this problem and found I solved mine by going to SMS messaging, going to settings button then disabling Chat Settings, this keeps the phone on for instant messaging. 

Good luck and hope it works for you.

JohnEagles