Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

S5 Glass/Screen issue

fraserh
2: Seeker

I got my new S5 5 weeks ago and put it in a Spigen Tough Armour case. Stupidly I haven't put a screen protector on it.

The problem is a have what look like oil/finger print smudges, one near the home button and one on the left hand side on the black surround/bezel. But when I try to wipe them off they don't go or vanish for a few seconds then return.

Are these large scratches or could they be caused by something else? Can anyone recommend a strong safe cleaner to try?

Thankfully they aren't noticeable when the screen is on but it is annoying the hell out of me. I have vodafone insurance for accidental damage on the phone but I don't think this warrant a claim. Could I claim for this or is it cover under warranty? The phone funcations fine but these "smudges" are ruining the experince of the phone.

I have asked on other forums like Andriod central and it seems quite a regular issue. Some people have had their phone replaced under warrenty.

5 REPLIES 5

drey_p
16: Advanced member

It could be grease from your fingers.  Have you tried wiping the area with a soft cloth that you have dampened in a little bit of window cleaner?

PWIAC

hrym
17: Community Champion

The other thing I've used is a microfibre cloth and/or one of those wet & dry screen cleaners.

fraserh
I have tried different cleaners and clothes. It's like it's burnt into the glass. It is so annoying and make me think twice about the choice of phone which is a shame.

drey_p

Any chance you can upload a pic of the issue so that we can see what it looks like?

PWIAC

hrym

If they're scratches, you should be able to feel them with a fingernail and it may be possible to detect whether they're in the glass or on it.   If they're raised, it's a deposit of some kind, but I'd be very careful of trying to remove them.   Scraping lightly with a fingernail might show if they can be removed that way, but you'd have to be very careful.  It's possible that there was something on your fingers that's set hard and it might be safer to leave well alone.  I can't see this being covered by any warranty.